how to fix weird spacing between words in word

Sidenote: turning ON 'fractional widths' resolved the problem. After you've composed your email, move your cursor to the top of the message and click the Replace button on the Home ribbon. The word positioning is optimized for printing, not for the screen. I have been trying for SO LONG to remove the space between the footnote separator and the footnote text, which I have finally been able to do after following the steps in your article. This will reduce the space size between the words. There are a few things you can do to fix uneven spacing:-Adjust the paragraph spacing. Will look like it did in Word 2003. Identify those arcade games from a 1983 Brazilian music video, Minimising the environmental effects of my dyson brain. THANK YOU! Now in Footnote and Endnote dialog box, select Below text for Footnote. Put this character after slashes (or in other places) and the link will be nicely divided. Just go to Layout tab and select Hyphenation. To add indentation or change the amount of indentation before text, select or type a number in the Before text box. The wide spaces you see are a result having only a few spaces available to achieve the justified right margin. If this helps save anyone else a panic, try selecting some of the problem text and pressing Ctrl-L for left-alignment. that way you will narrow the spaces between words, without cramming letters into each other! I've attached a photo I know its not good quality but I've underlined the weirdly spaced words, any help is appreciated! Microsoft Word justified text is a popular favorite. Choose the account you want to sign in with. Step 2: In the drop-down menu there are many different options for us to change the stretch for the text on the slide. Don't add multiple spaces between words because it makes formatting the entire document more difficult. To increase or reduce the amount of vertical space between lines of text within a paragraph, the best method would be to modify the style of the paragraph. Select Character Spacing in the pop-up Font Dialog Box. Having trouble with strange word spacing in Adobe Acrobat. It defines the spaces between words. Step-1: Click on the "Home" tab. AND GET A FREE BOOK! How to fix character spacing in justified text in Microsoft Word. Youre in luck because innovative tools such as Simul Docs understand how hard it is for multiple people to work on a Word document without direct access to the same login screen. Mutually exclusive execution using std::atomic? Why are physically impossible and logically impossible concepts considered separate in terms of probability? On the Advanced tab, go to the Spacing dropdown and select Expanded or Condensed, depending on whether you want the letters further apart or closer together. Select the Footnote Separator and you can remove the unnecessary paragraph marks. What the difference between this and inserting spaces before the link? The easiest way I've found to fix both formatting and spacing issues is to create a style with the font and formatting you are looking for and then applying the style to the converted text. 1 @Lopezito Perhaps try using the CSS word spacing property then. Click on Advanced, then scroll all the way down until you see Compatibility Options. In my case, Styled Text worked best. You can use the Special options to only indent the first line, or to add a hanging indent. When you're done, select OK to save changes. Other possible settings are shown at: How to remove extra spacing between words in Word 2010? To enter a custom size, click Custom spacing. Next click the arrow button to open Page Setup dialog box. Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type. 7. You cannot select entire lines, though, because if you change the font size then the spaces scale along, and you don't want that. A better solution is to control the spacing and alignment using table properties. There can be times when you find a large blank space is right above footnotes and below the body text, such as below: Yet you can guarantee there is no paragraph mark and you can do nothing about it. Thank you so much this was so helpful and worked a charm!!! Using different fonts or font sizes in your document can lead to inconsistent spacing between words. (Though it is possible doesn't mean that it is smart to use it .) This is the correct answer. Unless told to do otherwise (e.g., \obeyspaces ), it actually discards the spaces that you type when it processes your file. There is also an option to how it should behave if a single word is on a line. Note: If you're using Word 2007 the tab is called Character Spacing. Now, some paragraphs in your book will have those empty zeroes and you wont notice any spacing errors at all. Fax: 305-768-0261, Log in - Alternatively, select "Manual" to approve Word's hyphenation suggestions in a dialog box. DiamondRecent 1 yr. ago. The difference is that if you copy the modified link, there will be no space in it - the link will still work, and if you insert a space - this space will be copied and the link will be broken. In other words, if it would look perfect on the screen, it would not print nicely (or not even fit in a line anymore), and you would probably hate that even more. Open a Word file whose character spacing you know is correct. Indentation is measured in inches, and it can be any whole number or decimal, such as 1.2 inches. Tried to fix the alignment but it didn't help at all. Why are Suriname, Belize, and Guinea-Bissau classified as "Small Island Developing States"? Adjusting Text Line Spacing and Letter Spacing in GIMP, How to Indent in Word and Use Tabs and Rulers, How to Create Your Own Certificates With Word Templates, How to Change the Default Font in Microsoft 365. iPhone v. Android: Which Is Best For You? Select the text you wish to modify. How to reduce the spacing further more in Word 2010? Next to Font, select Expand (the down-arrow). If you press the Tab key and then a space after the colon, Word will set the words up to the colon left on the line with no . They were never meant to be edited extensively. The errors youre seeing are being caused by something inserted by your version of MSWord, or perhaps even from a previous program. Answer: It sounds like you used a third party converter to bring it in to Word (if that is a bad assumption, please let me know). This is necessary because the symbols are so tiny. By clicking Accept All Cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. When you do this, you will be able to see the odd symbols that are causing the annoying spacing errors. A good way to fix the look of such lines without changing justification is to insert Zero Width Space character(s) inside the very long word/expression (usually hyperlinks). If you have a long URL after the colon on the last line, Word won't be able to fit it on the line. Do I need a thermal expansion tank if I already have a pressure tank? Choose the spacing you want to apply and click OK. What is the purpose of this D-shaped ring at the base of the tongue on my hiking boots? Do not post your answer in the comments section below. Advanced tab and the chose the spacing you need. Therefore, an empty area remains. Only post Ive seen with this fix I was desperately looking for thank you! At the risk of insulting your intelligence, (1) Can you determine whats causing the problem? Take note of your current font size in the Font Size menu. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. Percentages above(100%) stretch the text. WritersWeekly.com is one of the oldest and most respected sites on freelance writing. in the 'find what' box simply press the space bar once, choose reading highlight, 'highlight all', in the 'replace what' box press the space bar once. Enter a space in both fields, then go to More > Format > Font and choose a font size. Subscribe: https://youtube.com/techlibrarytv?sub_confirmation=1Sometimes you may see too much space between the words after you justify your paragraph text. Alternatively, insert a hard return (shift-enter) right before the URI, and that will collapse the space as above. Right-click the style you want to change and then select Modify. Next to the center of the Dialog box, you will find the line spacing icons that will let you choose single, 1.5, or double spaced. THIS WEEKS PRIZE: A free print or ebook of your choice from Booklocker.com! How to tell which packages are held back due to phased updates. Search. Then, enter the size of the spacing you want before and after a paragraph and click Apply. Get the Latest Tech News Delivered Every Day. Anyone using Word can do away with uncoordinated ends of the right margin if they desire. Justified adds spacing between words so that the lines of text touch both the left and right margins, except for the last line of the paragraph, which uses normal word spacing. Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Percentages above(100%) stretch the text. Hyphenation will also make the other alignment options more justified. You can alter the spacing between characters of text for selected text or particular characters. To stretch or compress the text, increase or decrease Scaling. Click Home, and in the Paragraph group, click the dialog box launcher. Note:If you keep adding lines until you run out of room in a placeholder, AutoFit adjusts line spacing and font size to fit all list items in the placeholder. Here's one way to do this: I know you say you tried all forms of justification, but it still sounds as if you are somehow using "Force Justify". Adjust the amount of compression by entering small values in the accompanying value; ntering large values will create nearly unreadable text. Change it to "Left" justified (the most common) as a test and see what happens. I'm guessing that Acrobat gets confused when you're making word-by-word edits within a block of text, but can automatically space larger blocks of text evenly? You won't lose italics, and bolds. In the Paragraph settings window, click the Line and Page Breaks tab. I got to this question via my sister having difficulty with a similar sounding issue. Now you may feel your hands are tied. If you have a long URL after the colon on the last line, Word won't be able to fit it on the line. When this happens, the AutoFit Options control appears. Do I need a thermal expansion tank if I already have a pressure tank? How do I fix the spacing between bullet points in Word? In Word 2010, go to the File tab (in the upper left-hand corner, just to the left of the Home tab) and click Options. Word allows you to customize the line spacing to be single spaced (one line high), double spaced (two lines high), or any other amount you want. Here was my solution: About line spacing Line spacing is the space between each line in a paragraph. Right-click the style you want to change and select Modify. Word's full justification algorithm stretches out the words, adding space between words. Select the "Footnote Separator" and you can remove the unnecessary paragraph marks. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. There is time wastage and frustration that comes along with realizing that the changes you have made to a Word file have been lost because you forgot to turn on Microsofts Tracked Changes feature. My name is Erin. Subscribe today. Between most words, you'll see a plain black dot. Next, select the Tabs button. Select Line Spacing Options and choose an option in the Line spacing box. greetings. Next to Paragraph, select Expand (the down-arrow). Justifying the text in a paragraph aligns the text with both the left and right margins. When you find another problem, simply click, rinse, and repeat all over again, per the paragraphs above. 4. Re: Having trouble with strange word spacing in Ad /t5/acrobat-discussions/having-trouble-with-strange-word-spacing-in-adobe-acrobat/td-p/12382990, /t5/acrobat-discussions/having-trouble-with-strange-word-spacing-in-adobe-acrobat/m-p/12383077#M328575, /t5/acrobat-discussions/having-trouble-with-strange-word-spacing-in-adobe-acrobat/m-p/12383104#M328581, /t5/acrobat-discussions/having-trouble-with-strange-word-spacing-in-adobe-acrobat/m-p/12383130#M328588, /t5/acrobat-discussions/having-trouble-with-strange-word-spacing-in-adobe-acrobat/m-p/12383101#M328579, /t5/acrobat-discussions/having-trouble-with-strange-word-spacing-in-adobe-acrobat/m-p/12383102#M328580, /t5/acrobat-discussions/having-trouble-with-strange-word-spacing-in-adobe-acrobat/m-p/12383276#M328597, /t5/acrobat-discussions/having-trouble-with-strange-word-spacing-in-adobe-acrobat/m-p/12383397#M328609, /t5/acrobat-discussions/having-trouble-with-strange-word-spacing-in-adobe-acrobat/m-p/12383448#M328611, /t5/acrobat-discussions/having-trouble-with-strange-word-spacing-in-adobe-acrobat/m-p/12383486#M328619, /t5/acrobat-discussions/having-trouble-with-strange-word-spacing-in-adobe-acrobat/m-p/12383559#M328623. In our experience, those dont need to be fixed. In the dialog box, click to display the Layout tab. To change your paragraph spacing, click Single, 1.15, 1.5, or Double. I've noticed I'm having weird issues with word spacing on some lines in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Step 3: Click the Font Dialog Box Launcher in the corner of the " Font " section; Step 5: In the "Spacing" box, select " Expanded " if you want to increase the spacing between letters, or select " Condensed " if you want to decrease the spacing, then type the value you want to expand or condense. To fix spacing between words, go to Find and Replace. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. You can scale the text by stretching it or by compressing it. Alternatively, look for several successive paragraphs with the "Keep with next" selected, which may cause paragraphs to chase each other onto the next page. Home tab (Optional) Select the Show/Hide button in the Paragraph group to reveal your document's formatting. Now a horizontal pane will display at the bottom of the screen. Section breaks can throw off spacing. ), Identify those arcade games from a 1983 Brazilian music video. Now a horizontal pane will display at the bottom of the screen. How to Adjust Line Spacing in Microsoft Word, How to Adjust Page Margins in Microsoft Word, Filed Under: Microsoft Word Tagged With: formatting, Microsoft 365, Word 2013, Word 2016, Word 2019, Word 2021, Word 365. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this websites owner is strictly prohibited. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? How to handle a hobby that makes income in US. What is spacing in Microsoft Word? 2. Have always used it to write and edit PDFs! Problems about spaces in Word can be annoying sometimes. Here is one example where the button looks like a paragraph symbol. DataNumen RAR Repair 3.7 is released on December 18th, 2022, DataNumen Zip Repair 3.7 is released on December 11th, 2022, 6 Easy Ways to Recover Lost Emails in Outlook. I'm not sure what's going on, but here's how I fixed it: Highlight the region of the document that has a problem Right click Select "Paragraph" Go to "Line and Page Breaks" tab Uncheck "Keep with next" and also uncheck "Keep lines together" OK What exactly does that do? Select the Line and Page Breaks tab for more advanced options like text wrapping and pagination settings. Press Ctrl + A to select all. The Line spacing drop-down lets you select or set more specific line spacing. On closer inspection, I noted that it appeared on the same place on each page, the first line center of each page. Clear search Letter and word spacing decreases in Word 2010, How to adjust vertical spacing between text and equations in Word 2010 / MathType, Block protect (Keep last line of paragraph with next paragraph). Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience.