baby's face looks weird on ultrasound 36 weeks

It looks so alien like and skinny and I am afraid it's not well even though she said it was fine. Other Reasons Why Your Babys Face Appears Strange On An Ultrasound, The baby has its back to the uterine wall. Your baby has to hold VERY still so that the high frequency sound waves have time to form around your baby's features. His face doesn't look human. I was a bad mom. The babys chin is tucked into their chest and their head is ready to enter the pelvis. Before you go into labor, your baby should be in this position. not sure when they were taken though as i had a ton of ultrasounds with twins. Use the markings to draw your baby on your stomach. Mine also looked weird. I wouldnt worry about it. Learn more about. I'm only at 31 weeks, but I had that 4D/3D u/s and yes, baby looked totally deformed. Try positioning, acupuncture, and chiropractic care. Contact: 0208 296 9620 This means less pressure on your diaphragm, which makes it easier to breathe and also brings fewer baby kicks to the ribs. Fetal Size: Length, 12 3/4 inches, crown to rump; total length 19 3/4 inches. Not to mention, u/s arent photographs. I know he wants a DVD and some pics to show off and at this point that outweighs any perceived risks of a 30 minute exposure to a 4D ultrasound. She might get made fun of but so does everyone; kids are jerks. For the remaining weeks, your baby will be adding 1/2 pound each week until birth. When Can You Find Out the Sex of Your Baby? Our daughters was complete. Merewilk5415 member. He then asked me to roll onto my left side. Plan for another ultrasound scan later in your pregnancy since your babys face may look better then. Select from premium Funny Baby Face of the highest quality. We'd consulted Google normally a horrible idea and decided that swollen ventricles, while scary, often had a safe and healthy outcome. Junior kindergarten. Is that common for ultrasound pics? They hardly have any fat at this point, just starting to develop! Had I done something wrong? It is also tricky to distinguish between different parts of the body. I cried and cried and cried and it felt like I didnt stop for weeks. This is from my 13 weeks ultrasound. Please specify a reason for deleting this reply from the community. Sometimes that can be hard to figure out just from the picture, and sometimes it can be apparent from the very beginning. Sounds like you have a very active baby! As it turned out, there wasn't anything wrong with the baby except that the ultrasound made him look like a lizard or something. Speak with your doctor about using some of these techniques during your pregnancy. Nicole Galan, RN, Last medically reviewed on June 18, 2018. Fetal Size: Length, 10 3/4 inches, crown to rump; total length 17 inches. A few weeks (and pounds) ago, she may have been kicking and wiggling constantly; now she simply doesn't have enough room. Not to mention once I had the baby I was going to be expected to not totally screw her up. Maternal positioning to correct occipito-posterior fetal position in labour: A randomised controlled trial. But now I had the added fear that there was something wrong with her to contend with. The last two pictures are from my ultrasound this morning. I have one in my siggy. I was growing a tiny human inside of me, from a small collection of cells to what would one day become a completely autonomous being. Regardless of the type of ultrasound you get, sometimes the images can turn out a little strange. At 37 weeks your baby is pretty squished in there. I can only control how much I love her. But the confidence I'd felt earlier was fading fast. If not, babies in this position will require a cesarean delivery. The corpus callosum allows these two "people" to communicate with each other in order to present a united front to the rest of the body and external stimuli. This is a photo of my 12 week scan, the doc had so many better prints but for some reason decided to give us this one! Three weeks earlier, a sonographer had seen an abnormality in my unborn daughters brain. Your baby will come out beautiful! She's an active parent who enjoys indoor and outdoor adventures with her family. It may be uncomfortable for you, but it isnt dangerous. Overview. And every mark had added up to this. Fetal Development Milestones: Baby's eyes are opening and she's gaining weight. Also- I am sure the u/s tech didn't run screaming for a doctor, so I wouldnt worry too much! Here is something I now know to be a universal truth: When a doctor asks to speak to you in a Consultation Room, everything is not going to be fine. The babys face should be looking upwards towards your stomach as well. I just had an ultrasound at 36 weeks and 5 days. Use of this site is subject to our terms of use and privacy policy. Combining multiple 2D images taken at different angles then creates that third dimension, but the ultrasound doesn't always get an accurate read on some of the surfaces. Can A UTI Affect A Pregnancy Test? So no need to be scared! This educational content is not medical or diagnostic advice. However, if the tech didn't adjust the settings in the 4D mode to clear up the image, yes it can look strange. Have had ultrasounds at 20 weeks and then monthly after to monitor growth. I didnt ask for one she just did it anyway but oh well she was giving a thumbs up. In other words, its not like a camera on your phone. Sound waves are sent from numerous angles in a 3D ultrasound. Use of this site is subject to our terms of use and privacy policy. I was worried about my last ultrasound too with how their head and jaw looked. 0 views, 9 likes, 0 loves, 0 comments, 7 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from CNSNews.com: Some leftists are so determined to spread their abortion agenda that they don't care how many lies they have. It is possible that by the time you go for the ultrasound, the baby was not well-positioned. Yesterday I got my anatomy ultrasound and the doc said that all looked well with the baby. Craniofacial abnormalities, such as craniosynostosis, occur when an infants skull or bones fuse prematurely or incorrectly. I think they all look like old men floatinghonestly, they creep me out and I'd never pay to get one done. Im hoping for a cute view soon!! I can see their nose perfectly and mine is just weird shape lol but I get it, theres still time to develop, My first ultrasound further along with my oldest, I thought her ear looked weird but they said it was just like she was squished in there blah blah, but when she was born, she has microtia on her right ear (a tiny oddly shaped ear) so ever since Ive been so paranoid about all my kids ultrasounds . I just looked up if it's normal for a baby to be in that position at 13 weeks and I found a lot of people saying that it is perfectly normal! Some mothers get creative and paint their babys position on their stomach like a piece of art. Most of these babies will spontaneously rotate themselves to face in the right direction before birth. Here are. A Group Leader is a What to Expect community member who has been selected by our staff to help maintain a positive, supportive tone within a group. Long before we knew exactly what was waiting for us at the end of that 28-week visit, my partner and I drove to the hospital, I felt nervous but confident. Would she get invited to prom? Create an account or log in to participate. My daughter moved constantly inside of me and always kicking. If you are still concerned, call your OB. Hello alien baby!! if we don't, i'll be disappointed. Your doctor will discuss options for trying to turn the baby into a head-down position before you enter into your final weeks. Please whitelist our site to get all the best deals and offers from our partners. Your little one has a lot of weight to gain to fill in those cheeks. For the 13 hours from the start of my labor to her arrival, my husband and I smiled and laughed. That was one of the main issues I had with the pictures..her nose was gigantic! Our room was a revolving door for friends and family. Group Owners uphold the core values of the brand by reporting content that violates the community guidelines. 3D us is starting at like 129$. I knew I was sure she was going to be fine. Weight, 4 pounds. Regardless of the sort of ultrasound you receive, the images may appear unusual. In fact you might notice your babys face looks weird on ultrasound. Lie down on your bed and put slight pressure around your pelvic area to feel around for the babys head. 30 weeks. In this image, the red and blue show blood flow to the part of his brain that lets the two halves of the brain communicate with one another. 3D ultrasound looked weird. I think when they get those awesome shots of babies smiling or sucking their thumb they were lucky enough to catch baby while it was asleep. I'm starting to worry. Ok, Ican totally relate. Learn how we keep our content accurate and up-to-date by reading ourmedical review and editorial policy. My Dr. does have the capability and when I had an u/s on Tues, he kept switching over to 4dI felt like Sigourney Weaver in Alien. There was one cute pic on the dvd I got, but the only printed copy looks terriblelike a melting wax demon babyso yeah, I know how you feel! This combined strategy generates more successful or comparable detection rates during the first trimester than methods utilized in the second trimester. The 3 D ultrasound is recommended once you are around 28 weeks for that reason. We would love to share your photos with our viewers. There are many things that a woman can do to help it along, though. What You're Seeing: This image shows how developed your baby-to-be's features have become. is conducted to check that the baby is growing and developing normally. All ultrasound images were provided by the sonographers of the Johns Hopkins Maternal-Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment Center. The narrowest part of the head can press on the cervix and help it to open during delivery. But it's cheaper to just bundle in the fun onenow, DH won't have to miss more work to go back again later and I'd like to limit exposure to unneccesary ultrasound (which was my main reason for vetoing 4D at the start). Following these suggestions should improve your chances of capturing crystal-clear photos. Weight, 5 pounds. I felt like the universe was punishing me by punishing my daughter. While 3D ultrasounds can be a useful diagnostic tool in some cases, any weird faces you see may result from the technologys design. This will give you a good idea where their legs or knees are located. LOL, I thought that my 2nd ultrasound looked like a pic of an alienthat was at 11 weeks. Please don't worry! She will never doubt my love for her. But I really think you don't need to worry! I used to not want kids, and this was my karmic punishment. Awww..I'm making her sound scarybut the pics were pretty scary looking. We didn't do it, and I didn't miss it. There are recommendations that doctors give moms to help ensure that the ultrasound is successful and gives the best images. When your baby looks away from your tummy during an ultrasound, the sound waves may only reveal two-thirds or half of her face, resulting in a distorted appearance. Your little one has a lot of weight to gain to fill in those cheeks. Where are they kicking? A Group Owner is a member that has initiated the creation of a group to connect with other members to share their journey through the same pregnancy & baby stages. The 3 D ultrasound is recommended once you are around 28 weeks for that reason. For more fetal ultrasounds, be sure to read: For more information about ultrasounds and fetal development, check out the following resources: When you visit this site, it may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Note the baby's hand in front of her eyes and forehead. Theyre not so hairy at that point either. Youre looking at the face straight on, not a side profile like youre used to. All I could think was that I had failed her. In this case, you can expect that the babys face will look weird and not something you will love looking at. Our daughter was born in May; three weeks early. Shes an active parent who enjoys indoor and outdoor adventures with her family. Her eyes are opening and she's gaining weight. On all my ultrasounds, the face of my baby looks weird. If this is the part of the face seen on the ultrasound, this is the reason why the babys face looks weird. Fetal Size: Length, 14 3/4 to 15 1/4 inches; total length 21 1/2 inches. At the end, he was trying to get a pic of baby's face for us because she was in weird position. Haha- I'm sorry I had to chuckle. With her pouty lips and tiny nose, she looks much like she will at birth. But a number of cases, the baby doesnt rotate. Although you can't see it in this image, your baby has probably been attempting to breathe this week, though his lungs still need more time to mature. Our high-risk status meant we had to go in for ultrasounds and check ups every two weeks. Thanks for your response! Therefore, your baby may look weird on the ultrasound pictures. The corpus callosum is a bundle of nerve fibers located in between the left and right hemisphere of the brain. This hair is called lanugo. I drank a glass of champagne before I knew I was pregnant. Although you can't see it in this image, your baby has probably been practicing his breathing movements this week, though his lungs still need more time to mature. Are you doing an elective at 20 weeks or is this at your anatomy scan? Your baby is so cute!! Her nose looks amazingly large and her features just don't go together. Well it was a 4d ultrasoundwith pics that came with it. With DS we were told 3D was optional and we had to pay for it. Eight months later, and she has reached all her milestones. I had to put the 3d pic away because I kept looking at it and worrying. Fizzy drinks, sweets, caffeine, and high-protein foods are common choices. Fetal Development Milestones: Baby's toenails are now formed, he's practicing his breathing, and he's continuing to gain weight and grow. In your car, sit on a cushion to lift up and tilt your bottom forward. 3 Surprising Facts. Has anyone else had a 4d ultrasound where they didn't walk away going"ohhh how adorable.!". What happens if your baby is breech? This is usually referred to as occipito-anterior, or the cephalic presentation. I know I will be happy when he is outside and I don't have to be so paranoid about things all of the time! I promise! I think hes cute - but I know what you mean. Lol its a bad angle. You may still have a few not-so-fun symptoms, but they're likely to go away as you enter the second trimester. What You're Seeing: This image shows how developed your baby-to-be's features have become. What You're Seeing: This closeup shot of your baby-to-be's ear shows how fully developed his facial features have become. At 28 weeks gestation, her lateral ventricles were double normal size (these are important because they carry cerebral spinal fluid to her spinal cord). Just like I cannot control the books she may or may not read or the kids she encounters in the playground or whom she loves. He still looks like him, but since he has some fat on his body (and did when he was born) he didn't look as much like the 4d as I thought he would. Fetal Size: Length, 10 inches, crown to rump; total length 15 3/4 inches. Because the truth was, I had: eaten an hors d'oeuvre with brie cheese on it. So if you're an expecting parent thrown off by the images you see on the screen, first know that you're certainly not alone. Please specify a reason for deleting this reply from the community. At 28 weeks gestation, her lateral ventricles were double normal size (these are important because. Your email address will not be published. Doctors advise that you fast for about eight to twelve hours. I'd eaten a piece of sushi. Hopefully, we will get some better pics. But if that is the case, I will tell her enough for the both of us. What To Expect At 12 Weeks Pregnant Why Does My Babys Nose Look So Big On Ultrasound? You can get the same amount of exercise by eating a regular meal or a healthy snack before your UltraScan appointment. The soft spot that your baby has at birth exists during pregnancy too, and you might actually see this gap in the skull during your first anatomy scan. What You're Seeing: If your healthcare provider wants to get an idea of your baby's weight, one of the most important measurements the sonographer can take is the abdominal circumference. It presents some challenges, but there are ways to, During pregnancy you may wonder whether your baby's movements mean that they're awake and aware. He will be more likely to stare off, allowing portions of his face to rest while other parts . Consuming turmeric in pregnancy is a debated subject. Even the nose and lips picture looks strange. The first one is from 20 weeks, and the baby looks so cute. I have 3d pictures of my son from like 32 weeks and he looked notbing like them when he came out. Experts decided to build a list of ideas and tactics to enhance your chances of receiving a high-quality scan with so much weird information. Your babys face looks weird on the ultrasound because it is probably not fully developed. However, the face you see on the ultrasound does not mean that your baby will look like that after birth. Dont think too much into it. What to Expect follows strict reporting guidelines and uses only credible sources, such as peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions and highly respected health organizations. You might feel kicking or wiggling, or your baby may twist and turn. Would she ever tell me she loves me? This is referred to as lightening. Saw doc this morning and in sonogram, baby has a HUGE/WIDE nose that neither I nor Dad have. Even babies born really premature, at like 27 weeks, look quite strange. So there you have it: A creepy face at 20 weeks is almost never cause for concern. My partner and I told each other that we were healthy, we were happy, and most importantly, we were good people. It looked just like my baby's jaw (which wouldnt have much fat on his face at the point) Its just what that strong family jaw looks like without much padding. The structure is like an information highway, allowing the left and right sides of the brain to communicate with each other. Your baby has to hold VERY still so that the high frequency sound waves have time to form around your baby's features. Here's why an ultrasound can sometimes take a turn for the weird. In bed, in the shower, over breakfast, in the car on the way to work and on the way home, on the couch, in the kitchen, in my daughter's gender neutral green bedroom. I continued to make obsessive lists about all the things I could have done wrong. Once youve found a pattern, aim to schedule your scan accordingly. I know a lot of people will probably treat me bad about this post so Im ready for that but every ultrasound Ive gotten of my baby she looks not cute. Many parents have posted online about seeing a strange or just plain creepy face at the anatomy scan. Fetal Development Milestones: Your baby is getting more plump each day. These tips dont always work. A baby in this position increases your chances of having a prolonged delivery with severe back pain. This makes me soooo happy to hear. My husband and I looked at each other and then to her and we said, "So we're having a baby today?" It turned out induction wasn't necessary. this time, i don't know if we'll even get 3d pics. He immediately put me at ease and again, I knew, everything would be fine. And I cried. On profile pics, his nose looks so pointy every time but up close/the frontal facial pic, baby's nose is well, quite large (wide, bulbous even). Now, in the end, you know all about babys face looks weird on ultrasound. On all my ultrasounds, the face of my baby looks weird. She might not go to prom but she might not want to. Don't stress if possible, they'd let you know if you needed to be concerned. You can see the spinal cord protected by the bright white bones of the spine. So easy and delicious. The picture was so strange looking that her mother started calling the rest of the family to see if they knew what was wrong with the baby so she could be more sensitive to her daughter when she called to say she had received the photos. And second, several perfectly normal reasons can explain why the sonogram turned out that way. Could she be disabled? The exact position of a baby could lead to complications during delivery. My friend is a sonographer and she said getting an image with the nasal bone is one of the trickiest images to get. Mine always has her hand up there and it makes her face look weird sometimes. I have one booked on August 5th. I can see his eyes, but his nose and mouth are really hard to make out. Supplements. In fact, you may have noticed from her kicks and jabs that she's growing stronger each week. to me all U/S pics look like skeletons or aliens. I've never understood it when ppl would say "oh how cute" to something that looks so utterly bizarre lol. With DD's 18 week anatomy scan they automatically did 3D pictures and DH and I found them creepy. My sister is also pregnant and 36 weeks and the picture she got of her daughter her face is completely squished looking. What type of ultrasound can reveal a babys abnormalities? When I found out that my child was missing a part of her brain, a piece of the organ that is so essential to a human beings existence, my reaction was more than just fear, frustration, and anger. He continues to practice his breathing movements, which move amniotic fluid in and out of his lungs to aid in their development. A baby who isnt in the ideal position before your delivery date should always be delivered in a hospital setting for the best care. What You're Seeing: Sometimes your doctor or midwife will ask for a test to check how well your baby is doing. The sonographer placed the wand on my belly and was silent for a few moments. Just how it is. (2014). 28-week ultrasound confirmed my worst nightmare, congenital birth defect that affects seven in 1,000 births. Weight, around 7 pounds. So try not to worry. Not to mention, u/s arent photographs. An ultrasound of the. We were also offered the opportunity to speak to a psychiatrist who specialized in maternal and fetal medicine patients. Weight, 3 pounds. As you can see, your baby is getting a bit crowded in there! I thought it was neat on screen but the printed pictures are freaky. When it comes to Gender Determination tests, good ultrasound imaging quality is vital because more clarity means more accuracy. The greatest method to maximize getting good ultrasound images at your scan is to prepare for it. Pregnancy is both an incredible and terrifying experience. Is it possible to see facial malformations with ultrasound? Group Owners uphold the core values of the brand by reporting content that violates the community guidelines. At the top, the baby's heart beats; below, the lined measurements track and then determine baby's heart rate to make sure it's within the normal range. I am very relieved. think twice before sharing personal details, foster a friendly and supportive environment, remove fake accounts, spam and misinformation, delete posts that violate our community guidelines, reviewed by our medical review board and team of experts. What You're Seeing: During the last few weeks of gestation, your baby has less and less room to move. Baby's Weight: 5.75lb. Here are a few perfectly normal reasons your babys nose, face or head will look different than you expected. Theyre perfectly formed, just super tiny and skinny lol. The way 4D/3D works is it sends sound waves into the uterus. As your baby grows during pregnancy, they may move around quite a bit in the womb. How you go for the ultrasound scan determines how visible your baby is. Below are some of the reasons why your babys face looks weird on the ultrasound.