Millions of high-quality images, video, and music options are waiting for you. It was telling that in the immediate aftermath of Vances death, as many in the newsroom nursed their own heartache or pushed forward with their work, Gentzler sat at her computer thanking and encouraging the hundreds of viewers who had posted about their devastation across social media. She serves asNBC4 medicalreporter, filing cutting-edgehealthreports for all of the stations newscasts. Shes never misinterpreted that shes somebody special. So shes still largely in her public mode. NBC4 still hasnt settled on Vances replacement, so Gentzler works with a rotating cast of co-anchors for the 6 oclock show. [2] Before joining Fox 9, Hicks worked at Fox News Tv as a multimedia reporter. Were moving on. , Its that seriousness of purpose that longtime Channel 4 reporter Tom Sherwood, then at theWashington Post,remembers well. And I think Vance would agree.. I knew we needed a spark plug. NBC4's Jim Vance and Doreen Gentzler Unscripted Moments On Friday during NBC4's 6 pm newscast, Gentzler made a surprise and emotional . If youre looking for levity, look no further. In December, she retired and said she was looking forward to her future. Gentzler has covered eight inaugurations and recalled being on the National Mall for the last Super Bowl Celebration in the early 1990s. Organize, control, distribute and measure all of your digital content. Jim Vance, Washington's longest-serving local news anchor, is dead at Fahri, Paul. (When the homegirl came back home, Vance later said, thats when we started winning.), The pair steadily began to peel away viewers from Channel 9, and to keep them all week. He was loved by many of his viewers who were high school students and younger kids. SalaryContinue. He raised $30,000 for him. From 1979 to 1983, she co-anchored the 6pm and 11pm newscasts at WSOC-TV, the ABC affiliate in Charlotte, North Carolina. Interview: Doreen Gentzler Opens Up About Retiring After 33 Years at NBC4, Like this post? Doreen Gentzler, who co-anchored the most popular local TV newscast in Washington for over three decades, said Friday that she would retire next month, closing out a nearly unbroken reign as the areas most-watched journalist. Kammerer, who grew up watching Gentzler, said she welcomed him with open arms. Not only was it a dream joba huge market with big-name anchorsbut it would bring her back home. But I dont know what that She pauses to take a breath. Shes had to go into this mode where shes had to be the face of an entire regions grief, says Eun Yang. In Part 2 of our interview, Gentzler talked to MyMCM about what the outpouring of love after her announcement meant to her. Gentzler holds American nationality. He was born on September 24, 1957, in Washington D.C., USA. To be really honest, Gentzler says, I was not prepared for how public the grief process through all of this would be. NBC4 Washington on Twitter: "Our Doreen Gentzler is retiring after 33 A few minutes later, she appeared at the foot of the stairs, still in her pajamas. Gentzlers salary is estimated to be between $225,000 and $275,000. Read More Boyd Huppert Kare 11 Cancer Treatment, Age, Height, Wife, Sons, SalaryContinue. "Our Doreen Gentzler is retiring after 33 years at NBC4. As Gentzler passed out hugs in between writing her lines, it was as though she already understood the weight of her responsibility: to be the ballast not just for those in the newsroom but for her viewers, too. But as he kept digging, Horlicks enthusiasm waned. There she anchored the 6pm and 11pm newscasts. However, the reality of working in the news business is that the show must go on. Such as her last show with Vance. Yet shouldering the grief of her colleagues and a whole community meant Gentzler would struggle to access her own. He told Gentzler about his diagnosis last April. He chuckled and waved her off, told her just to let them see where things would go. Doreen Gentzler is an American journalist and news anchor. Currently, Gentzler resides in Chevy Chase, Maryland with her family. She struggled with the shell shock of his win and what she thought would come of his presidency: Its just like, Uh, what? She has two brothers, Bill, a disc jockey, and John. Tap into Getty Images' global scale, data-driven insights, and network of more than 340,000 creators to create content exclusively for your brand. Or maybe evolve, like Serena Williams.. This show has been successful in garnering both local and national recognition for stressing on a wide range of issues regarding mental illnesses. Longtime NBC Washington anchor Wendy Rieger dies after fight with Boris Sanchez is a Cuban-born broadcast journalist. Though their desks were in the middle of the newsroomthey both liked to be amid the actionthey also shared an office outside it. lawmakers push for new safety regulations after deadly Silver Spring apartment fire. Weve been through good times and challenging times, and it means everything to me that youve trusted me to share the news with you each night, she said. One of her first thoughts was that she needed to talk to her colleagues and get to work, Miller remembers. Gentzler made the announcement during the Friday night newscast, saying that it was not an easy choice that shes been considering it for a while, but Ive decided to retire.. I think Vance and I had a very good partnership, where I always felt like we were equals on the set, and I was happy with that, she says. Last edited on 30 November 2022, at 22:26, Henry W. Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication, "Tickle The Wire Ex-Washington Post Reporter and Editor Bill Miller Becomes Spokesman for D.C. U.S. Attorney", http://thewomensfoundation.org/washington-100-member-spotlight-meet-doreen-gentzler/, "NBC4's Jim Vance and Doreen Gentzler Unscripted Moments", "WKYC's Director's Cut with Frank Macek: Where Are They Now? The American news anchor also made a guest appearance on an episode of NBCs show named The Event. We all know that feeling of glee, or perhaps confusion or discomfort, when we spot a colleague out dancing on a Friday night or walking into the office one morning with eyes swollen from cryingas though the curtain has been jerked back on some terrific secret. with her husband and children. She has also made appearances as herself on NBC shows The Event and The Blacklist. Additionally, Doreen has received three Emmy awards for news writing and reporting while in Cleveland. The stations popularity endured until Vances death in 2017 after 48 years on the air and continued afterward as well. Next she worked at Philadelphia's WCAU-TV,[when?] Gentzler first worked at Cleveland, Ohio's NBC affiliate WKYC-TV.[when?] Doreen Gentzler announced that after 33 years anchoring for News4, she'll soon retire. I may get a little emotional, so Ill just say it right out: Ive decided to retire, she said. She was the on-air spokesperson for the station's successful NBC4 Health and Fitness Expo, held each January at the Washington Convention Center. I didnt really appreciate that everybody would be looking at me.. He is also an adjunct journalism professor at the University of Maryland. In early December, the whole station gathered in front of their building, NBCs peacock logo prominently displayed overhead. Gentzler grew up in Arlington, Va., though she spent the latter years of her childhood living near Charleston, S.C. She attended the University of Georgia and worked as an anchor and reporter at stations in Chattanooga, Tenn., Charlotte, Cleveland and Philadelphia before she was hired to anchor with Vance, whom shed watched growing up. Doreen Gentzler, who co-anchored the most popular local TV newscast in Washington for over three decades, said Friday that she would retire next month, closing out a nearly unbroken reign as. I feel a little more responsibility in that regard, now that he is no longer here.. . Shes going to be with us for quite a while.. Airports to Fly Out ofJFK, LAX Didn't Make Either List. NBC Washington anchor Doreen Gentzler discusses her career before her final broadcast. Vance did this for George, Gentzler says she repeated to herself. it was just flat. She is the health reporter for WRC-TV (NBC4) and co-anchors the 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. editions of the station every weekday. She joined the news team in 1989, welcoming the chance to return to her hometown after working in Philadelphia. Gentzler began her career as the host of Georgia Public Broadcasting's weeknight show The Lawmakers, broadcast during sessions of the Georgia State Legislature, around 1979. The rituals after the death of a family member are so firmly defined: paid leave from work, Hallmark cards bearing witness to the void, empathy from friends who have likely experienced something similar. Surrounded by family and friends, Doreen Gentzler signs off one last time after 33 years in the News4 anchor chair. June 17, 2014 Jim Vance and Doreen Gentzler prepare to return to the live broadcast on WRC-TV after a commercial break. Doreen Gentzler was born on September 24, 1957 in Washington, District of Columbia, USA, but was raised in a neighborhood of Arlington, Virginia. In many ways, things stayed the sameuntil, of course, the day they werent. Longtime NBC Washington anchor Doreen Gentzler is retiring after 33 years of delivering the news to the D.C. area. She was born and brought up in Arlington, Virginia by her mother, Rita OFlinn, and father Ferris Gentzler. It never lets up., Vance, she says, always found the positive view. Recalling this, she laughs and shakes her head at the improbability of it all. During their long run on the air, Gentzler-Vance drew more viewers throughout the Washington area than CNN, Fox News and MSNBC averaged together among local viewers in prime time. Doreen also serves as the stations on-air representative for the popular NBC4 Health & Fitness Expo, which takes place every January at the Washington Convention Center. Jane She asked for a day off in the week after his death. How do you grieve a work husband? Longtime WRC/NBC4 news anchor Doreen Gentzler announced today she will be retiring at the end of November . Gentzler stands at a height of 5 feet 5 inches. 'I'll be wearing waterproof mascara': NBC4's Doreen Gentzler prepares She was, in a word, natural, Horlick remembers. [2] Her mother, Rita O'Flinn, worked as a secretary for the federal government while her father, Ferris Gentzler, was an executive with an insurance company. . Her voice trails off. D.C. Courts employees and their community partners gathered together Friday, September 29 to celebrate the ten-year anniversary of the program. Doreen Gentzler (born September 24, 1957[1]) is a retired American television news anchor . . He had the regions best news talentVance, Michael, and meteorologist Bob Ryanyet Channel 4 still couldnt climb out of third place in the ratings. I cried a lot, she says. It was just before 9 am on July 22 when Doreen Gentzler got the call. Gentzler said she will continue on the air until Thanksgiving week. There is hope though and important research going on." Gentzler goes on to share how challenging it can be for patients to find and enroll in clinical trials. After they hired her, I got a call from [reporter] Pat Collins, and he said, Sherwood, we just hired a new anchor, and shes not a bimbo. , In short, the newscasts ratings shot up, in part because of good timing: Seven months into Gentzlers tenure, Mayor Barry was arrested on drug charges, and his first call to a reporter was to Vance. Doreen Gentzler(born September 24, 1957[1] ) is an Americantelevision newsanchor. Her contemporaries included a long list of familiar figures, particularly Jim Vance, with whom she co-anchored WRCs newscasts for 28 years until his death in 2017. Offers poured in. It was a perch that any news anchor would covetthe face of the top-rated station in a major market. His bank card was declined. He hosts the MoCo's Most Famous podcast for MCM. When she and Vance first met over dinner at La Ferme in Chevy Chase, nerves scissored through her. I couldnt even begin to understand how she was able to do it, her colleague Eun Yang says. Watch the full interview: https://t.co . Soon everyone was racing to the Channel 4 offices on Nebraska Avenue. Who is Boyd Huppert? They both had a terrific sense of humor.. She is active on Twitter and Facebook. The first thing she said: Why wont you talk to me?, I said, You know, Doreen, I dont like the Philadelphia DoreenI loved the Cleveland Doreen, he remembers telling her. She also filled in for vacationing news anchors on The Today Show and NBC at Sunrise. In her News 4 Your Health segments, Doreen has brought viewers into hospital operating rooms, shown the latest technology helping to save lives, and profiled medical breakthroughs. Access the best of Getty Images with our simple subscription plan. You cant blame her. In announcing Gentzlers retirement, Vice President of News for WRC and WZDC Mike Goldrick said, The phrase 'anchor' only scratches the surface of what Doreen has meant to us in the newsroom and to our viewers She has shown her empathy and kindness to generations of colleagues who have passed through our studio doors.. There Read More She has won several local Emmy awards for reporting and anchoring. She previously covered Congress for National Review. Coming to her love life, the American news anchor is married to Bill Miller, a former editor and reporter at The Washington Post. Related:Janice Huff NBC4, Salary, Age, Height, Husband, Wedding, Weight Loss, Net Worth. Read More Mitti Hicks Husband, Age, Fox Weather, Height, Net Worth. It was just before 9 am on July 22 when Doreen Gentzler got the call. They werent weekend comradeshe liked to take trips on his Harley; she liked to bike around the monuments and go on hikes with her dog. "Weve all been though a lot together, and I cant be any prouder of this news team., Copyright 2023 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. We rarely consider what it might be like when our work spouses die. They can get the news anytime on their phones and on their tablets, so anybody who is in the television news business who tells you theyre not concerned about losing viewers would be kind of a fool.. In an interview on Friday, Gentzler said she planned to spend time with family and to travel in retirement; her announcement coincided with the retirement of her husband, Bill Miller, a public information officer at the U.S. attorneys office in the District and a former Washington Post journalist. Wendy Rieger, Beloved NBC Anchor and LGBTQ+ Champion, Has Died Gentzler was the same steady and warm presence she is every night. The Getty Images design is a trademark of Getty Images. "You all at the courts are way ahead of us in . Abigail Constantino | aconstantino@wtop.com. Doreen Gentzler is a three Times Emmy Awards Winning American television news anchor who started her journalism career by hosting the Georgia Public Broadcasting's weeknight show The Lawmakers in around 1979. Born In: Washington, District of Columbia, USA, education: Henry W. Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Georgia, https://www.facebook.com/DoreenGentzler4/photos/a.422982855059.220777.339116460059/10153544474425060/, https://www.facebook.com/DoreenGentzler4/photos/a.422982855059.220777.339116460059/10150501113740060/, https://www.nbcwashington.com/on-air/about-us/Doreen_Gentzler.html. Channel 4 seems somehow different, a place whose employees have worked together for decades. She is a graduate of American University and The George Washington University. Gentzler remembers him being very strong . Stories that brim with optimism. How is that? Doreen Gentzler Retiring From News4 After 33 Years And Jim was Jim., To be honest, I was not prepared for how public the grief process through all of this would be. She is a woman of average stature. Shes going to be with us quite a while., Gentzlers immediate appeal, Horlick says, was being the adult in the room and breaking up the long runs of Vance and Michael just bantering on the air about ridiculous guy stuff., Shed let it go on for a bit, and then shed be like, All right, guys, we get it. Doreen Gentzler to Retire After 33 Years at News4 Doreen Gentzler Bio, Age, Height, Husband, Salary, Net Worth NBC4 Copyright 2022 by WTOP. On that day, she didnt look at e-mail and didnt respond to upset viewers flooding her social media. She is a 6pm and 11pm news anchor at WRC-TV. All rights reserved. Watch Gentzler talking about her career delivering the news to the D.C. area. When he spotted Gentzler in the restaurants parking lot, hed later admit, he thought, Well, at least they hired a fox., But she was sharp, and people on the set were quick to notice. Doreen Gentzler Is Still Mourning Jim Vance - Washingtonian Additionally, she has appeared as herself in the NBC programs The Event and The Blacklist. 2023 WTOP. Emma has also worked as a reporter and producer for the Australian Nine Networks A Current Affair. Read More Emma Alberici ABC Daughter, New Partner, Height, Salary, Net WorthContinue, Doreen Gentzler NBC4 Salary, Retiring, Brain Tumor, illness, Net Worth, Boris Sanchez CNN Salary, Age, Height, Wife, Children, College, Net Worth, Boyd Huppert Kare 11 Cancer Treatment, Age, Height, Wife, Sons, Salary, Carl Azuz CNN 10, Age, Wife, Salary, Kids, College, Net worth, Wiki, Mitti Hicks Husband, Age, Fox Weather, Height, Net Worth. For Horlick, watching their relationship develop was rewarding as a manager: You just never know, when youre pairing people, whether it will develop into magic. Doreen Gentzler started her career as the anchor of Georgia Public Broadcasting's show The Lawmakers. Channel 4s 6 pm broadcast struggled during the summer and dropped from number one. Where is Carl Azuz? Its up to me to figure out how to protect myself. Who is Bret Baier? As reporter Doreen Gentzler mentions, 'A crushing diagnosisglioblastoma is an aggressive and deadly brain cancer. Shed warn him to stop smoking around her when she was pregnant. She wore over-the-top costume brooches, Republican helmet hair, and ridiculous blouses with necklines up to her chin. She said, Thats the real me! Doreen Gentzler is retiring after more than three decades on NBC4 They were shooting a promo that would run during the Super Bowl. Montgomery Community Media. "I have some personal news to share this evening," Gentzler told NBC4 . Vance and Gentzler confided in each other about personal matters, drama involving their spouses, or her two children and his three. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area. In the 80s, hed even endeared himself to viewers by coming clean about his cocaine addiction and stints in rehab. She co-anchored the weekday 6pm and 11pm editions of News4 on WRC-TV (NBC4) in Washington, D.C. and was also the station's health reporter. Doreen as of now works in Washington D.C. at NBC4, she began working here in 1989, she anchors News4 at 6 and News4, she also works as a medical reporter for the station, filing cutting-edge health reports for all of News4's newscasts. Vance has been married three times (his. See something missing? Her last newscasts will be on the week of Nov. 21. His wife would elbow him and point at the testosterone-fueled panel and say, Do you see anything wrong with this picture?, It was painfully obvious that in spite of the immense talent .