station nightclub fire survivors list

However, on September 21, 2006, Judge Darigan announced that the brothers had changed their pleas from "not guilty" to "no contest," thereby avoiding a trial. Biechele pleaded guilty to 100 counts of misdemeanor manslaughter, and Michael and Jeff Derderian pleaded no contest. Since The Station fire, many states have adopted stricter fire prevention codes. The brother's plea deal stated only one of them would go to prison. [49] The tour started five months after the fire, and each concert began with a prayer for survivors and families. [58], On September 19, 2007, the Rhode Island Parole Board announced that Biechele would be released in March 2008. They are speaking out about the fire for the first time. There's an exit near the stage. For people to know you can go there now and look at this beautiful park and talk to your person thats what I love about it.. He had failed to get a license for the pyrotechnics from the State of Rhode Island and permits from the local fire department. Jeff Derderian: None of the inspections and then follow-up inspections. America's Deadliest Rock Concert: The Guest List explores the Station nightclub fire through gripping survivor accounts and family members and friends of victims who have memorialized their loss through pursuits ranging from an exhibit of commemorative body art to re-immersion in the rock culture that initially brought them and their loved ones Why had the fire spread so quickly? When January comes each year, she starts a lesson, delicately, talking about The Station and how there was a fire there. Biechele and Michael Derderian went to prison. Phil Barr: I remember the smoke descended really quickly. The fire left her with burns over 40 percent of her body, it incinerated her hair. "It feels like somebody knew somebody who was in that fire or knew somebody who did, so the pain is very personal.". [89] "I don't think I could ever sing that song again," said Russell. That night, he allowed a cameraman to shoot footage inside the club for an upcoming story about safety in public venues. And people just stood there. According to Lynch, under Rhode Island law, the fire marshal could not be criminally charged unless there was evidence of bad faith or malice. In the other rooms, the smoke hadn't gotten to them, the flame wasn't that bad, they didn't think anything of it. John Barylick is an attorney who represented victims in numerous wrongful death and personal injury cases arising from the Station nightclub fire. Fifteen years since that terrible night. [28], Of the 462 people in the building for the concert, 100 were killed, 230 were injured, and 132 escaped uninjured. And I stood up. And I never expected it to take off as fast as it did. Twisted Sister frontman Dee Snider, who is featured in a REELZ documentary about the Warwick, Rhode Island Station nightclub fire, which killed some 100 attendees of a Great White concert in 2003, The fire was the fourth-deadliest at a nightclub in U.S. history, and the second-deadliest in New England, behind the 1942 Cocoanut Grove fire, which resulted in 492 deaths. I never wanted anyone to be hurt in any way. Michael Derderian: He finds the deficiencies, you have to correct the deficiencies and then signs off so that you so you can get your liquor license that happened in 2000. And by then, the black smoke was pouring out over their heads. The Station was a nightclub that was located on the corner of Cowesett Avenue and Kulas Road in West Warwick, Rhode Island. Michael Derderian: We say that they we're sorry for all of it. [9], The foam was sold to the Derderians by American Foam. Michael spent 33 months in prison, while Jeff had to do 500 hours of community service. [14] In the aftermath of the fire, Great White and the owners of the Station disputed whether the band were allowed to use the pyrotechnic display during their concert. Michael Derderian: Correct. February 20 is the 19th anniversary of the tragic fire that killed 100 and injured another 230 people at The Station nightclub in West Warwick, Rhode Island. For more information on your department or district joining the SAVE program click here or contact the California Fire Foundation at save@cpf.org or (916) 641-1707. My friends were dead, my other friends are severely injured, I no longer look like myself. The Station was owned by brothers Jeff and Michael Derderian. They were told to take it down. [21] The Station did not have a sprinkler system installed. Jim Axelrod: Did you have enough time to form those complete thoughts? [21] Twenty seconds after the pyrotechnics ended, the band stopped playing and lead singer Jack Russell calmly remarked into the microphone, "Wow that's not good. The second was the time from that night until the dedication of the memorial last spring. *One SAVE card issued per household that experiences 25% or greater damage to a primary residence. Pyrotechnics ignited foam insulation that lined the walls and ceiling around the stage, the National Institute of Standards and Technology concluded. This is the time to leave. [2] The three were each charged with 100 counts of involuntary manslaughter with criminal negligence and 100 counts of involuntary manslaughter in violation of a misdemeanor. [4] In 1985, it was converted to a pub, which closed sometime in the late 1980s, and a nightclub was opened in its place in 1991. Patrick Lynch: The defendant had every right to go to trial and say, hey, if it's this mysterious fax that it's trying to be referenced today, 18 years later, hey, this is important. So, the only way to pick up a can of soda would be to do this [lifting both arms out parallel in front of her]. [tears up, shaking his head]. [48] Some victims' families criticized the 48 Hours segment and the Derderians' involvement. It is the fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history. Michael Derderian: But that door became impassable almost within seconds because clearly there's foam that's burning at 800 or 1,500 degrees. Linda Saran: Second- and-third-degree burns, over 34 percent of my body from the heat. [90] Russell planned to donate the proceeds to the Station Fire Memorial Foundation, but the organization asked to be disassociated from the concert, citing the animosity still felt by many of the survivors and surviving families. Legal action against several parties, including Great White, were resolved with monetary settlements by 2008. In 2008, the band agreed to pay $1. The Station nightclub in West Warwick burned down on Feb. 20, 2003, during a concert by rock band Great White, leaving 100 people dead and more than 200 injured. Today, we mourn the 100 lives lost in the Station nightclub fire and the hundreds more whose lives will never be the same. Jim Axelrod: Were you a fan of the band Great White? And then, ever so slowly, he learned to walk again. Tracy King liked to entertain people with his unique talent. Everyone carries baggage and I think at some point you figure out how to pack it and carry it with you, she said. [92], Russell left Great White in 2010. In fact, they did the opposite.". At the scene, Jody King was desperate for information about his brother, and began to fear the worst. [22] Biechele used four gerbs that were set to spray sparks 15 feet (4.6m) for fifteen seconds. "[23] Within 40 seconds of the ignition, Great White had stopped playing and left the stage and the venue's fire alarm began to sound, but it was not connected to local fire department. Jim Axelrod is the chief investigative correspondent and senior national correspondent for CBS News, reporting for "CBS This Morning," "CBS Evening News," "CBS Sunday Morning" and other CBS News broadcasts. The Guest List: The Station Nightclub Fire, America's Deadliest Rock Concert will premiere on Sunday, February 20, 2022. Scott James: I decided I would start asking some questions. That is the furthest exit away from the stage But it's a relatively straight line. And I fell down the stairs, out that door. Stay up to date with everything Boston. [48] The capacity for the Station was either 258 or 404, depending on how the building was being used. Warner lived next to The Station and had met the brothers. Honored to have been able to attend such an in depth and eye opening training opportunity. Phil Barr: I asked my pulmonologist, you know, "when can I get back in the pool?" And that's when it starts to hit you all that you've lost. [104] The legislation would create a tax incentive for property owners to install fire sprinkler systems. Since I had been there earlier in the night, I knew that there was at least an exit in the back barroom. And I knew the window was to my left. The shooting was first reported at 12:04 a.m. in the 300 block of S. 1st . That's how thick the smoke was. The brothers, however, find that hard to believe considering the foam covered the walls, ceiling and even the inward swinging door he cited as a violation. Its just one of those things thats ingrained in you.. It was criminal, he says. Lynch also points out that the exits were a safety issue. These days, she uses her job as a teacher at John F. Deering Middle School to make it so those who didnt suffer so directly will remember it too. [60], Following Biechele's trial, The Station's owners, Michael and Jeffrey Derderian, were scheduled to receive separate trials. So, before I knew it, this finger was contractured down in this position and the rest of them were all bent backwards because the skin had tightened up.". After 15 years of it being a dominant part of her everyday life, she said she is ready for it to be a part of her past. ", "20 years later, the effects of the Station nightclub fire still linger - The Boston Globe", "The Great White Nightclub Fire: Ten Years Later", "In West Warwick firefighters' hearts, the disaster isn't over", "How a West Warwick restaurant became a triage center for burn victims", "20th anniversary of New England nightclub fire that killed 100", "State supreme court to review penalty for employee deaths in R.I. fire - UPI.com", "Workers comp. Today marks the 20th anniversary of The Station nightclub fire in West Warwick, RI, which killed 100 people. Eighteen years later, there was no consensus among survivors when it comes to blame. Michael and Jeff Derderian pleaded no contest to 100 counts of misdemeanor manslaughter and agreed to a deal. Vanner has no excuses. At least 12 dead after winter storm slams South, Midwest, The Saturday Six: Dental device controversy, scientist's bug find and more, Trump speaks at CPAC after winning straw poll, 3 children killed, 2 others wounded at Texas home, Man charged for alleged involvement in 2 transformer explosions, Nikki Haley slams potential GOP contenders, and Trump and George W. Bush, Duo of 81-year-old women plan to see the world in 80 days, Memphis Grizzlies star Ja Morant to "take some time away" from the team after allegedly brandishing a gun in a club, Alex Murdaugh trial: What to know about the double murder case. It justit was so fast. Gina Russo, a survivor of The Station nightclub fire. We have an exit through the kitchen. [2] The follow-up inspection in December 2002 also did not cite the foam, and the inspector gave the building an "All OK" rating on his inspection form. Nightclub Fire", "3 indicted in R.I. rock concert fire - UPI Archives", "The Derderians are on a 'white-wash tour' about The Station fire, says father who lost son", "The strange and terrible true story of Great White, and the Station nightclub fire", "3 Men Are Indicted in Fire At Rhode Island Nightclub", "Foam company offers Station nightclub fire plaintiffs $6.3M settlement", "DAN BIECHELE SPEAKS Pre-Sentencing Statement GREAT WHITE TOUR MANAGER Station Nightclub Fire RI", "Fury, Tears and 4-Year Term in Deadly Blaze", "Band manager who ignited deadly Rhode Island nightclub fire freed from prison", "Manager Sentenced for Rhode Island Nightclub Fire", "Many families of Station fire victims supporting parole for band manager", "Band manager who ignited R.I. club fire is freed", "After prison, Biechele rebuilding life in Fla", "Derderians will plead; AG says he opposes sentencing deal", "2 Brothers to Plead No Contest in R.I. The fire started shortly after Great White began performing their opening number, "Desert Moon". I'm so sorry for what I have done, and I don't want to cause anyone any more pain. [49] In 2013, Kendall told The Providence Journal that he maintained amicable contact with some survivors, victims' families, and the Station Fire Memorial Foundation. There was a table in the way at the door, and I pulled that out just to get it out of the way so people could get out easier. The brothers have since learned that the fire marshal should have tested the foam on the wall. Biechele was released from prison in 2008 after some families of the victims expressed their support for his parole. Barr was now outside, but he felt like his lungs were on fire. Great White's tour manager Daniel Biechele also faced the same charges. Lourdes Aguiar is the senior producer. And it was ugly. It was liquid fire. Del Sesto said her life is told in three chapters now. Since the fire, I have wanted to tell the victims and their families how truly sorry I am for what happened that night and the part that I had in it. I did not lead them out, he said dismissively. Daniel Biechele, the tour manager for Great White who had ignited the pyrotechnics, plead guilty to 100 counts of involuntary manslaughter in 2006 and was sentenced to fifteen years in prison with four to serve. But even more than walking, Phil wanted to return to swimming. Petrarca remembers one of the most beautiful moments shes had. Linda Saran: My hospital roommate, he and I took turns driving the respiratory therapist crazy in some ways it's almost like being in war together. Phil Barr: You know just have a beer, see a concert. He says he managed to escape through the front door before a stampede of people got stuck in the narrow hallway and blocked the exit. As were going down the stairs to get into the comedy club, in the heart of Times Square, the first thought that goes through my mind: I come back and look and go: Are there two exits down there? she said. She paused, her eyes tearing. [93] In the years following the fire, Great White split into two separate groups, one led by Russell and the other by Kendall. Scott James: They only have about 60 seconds to get out of the building if they're going to live. "48 Hours" is not showing any of that footage. Jeff Derderian, seated right, says, "You know a day doesn't go by that we don't think about it in some way, shape or form.". 0:57. In the aftermath, West Warwick, Rhode Island TV news reporter Jeff Derderian wanted to run a story on nightclub safety. And 18 years after the fire, the brothers say they want to set the record straight and reveal new information. Since 2003, the approach of the anniversary of the Station fire, where she and her twin sister, Cara Ann, got out unhurt while 100 others died and about 200 more were injured, was four weeks of dread. Within weeks, the National Fire Protection Association committee met to regulate code for "assembly occupancies." The brothers have always maintained that they never gave the band permission to use pyrotechnics. Her fianc, Alfred Freddy Crisostomi, did not. WEST WARWICK, R.I. (WJAR) Gina Russo, who survived The Station nightclub fire in West Warwick in 2003, spoke with NBC 10's Mario Hilario on the morning of the 20th anniversary of the. Patrick Lynch: Did he do his job perfectly? There had to be that period for me. Her father has seven brothers, Pimentel said, and she was especially close to Carlos. And people stood and watched it, and some people backed off. The Feb. 20, 2003. S01:E02 - Joplin Tornado. Robin Petrarca was in New York City three weeks ago, looking for some laughs in a comedy club. In February 2006 three years after the station nightclub burned down many in Rhode Island were shocked to learn that instead of a trial, a plea deal had been reached with Daniel Biechele, the tour manager for the band Great White. Patrick Lynch: Jeffrey and Michael Derderian. A staggering 100 lives were lost. As Great White started their first song, their tour manager Daniel Biechele set off four large fireworks called gerbs. [32] The fine was not resolved until 2013, ten years after the fire, when it was upheld by a judge. [86][87] The memorial dedication ceremony took place on May 21, 2017. Jeff Derderian: this is flammable you can't have this. Linda Saran still places much of it on the Derderian brothers. The Derderians say that in the three years they owned the club, no one ever questioned the safety of the foam and say the club was inspected by their insurance company, and multiple times by the local Fire Marshal Denis Laroque. The club was sold. They all say I never would have stopped it, and I probably wouldnt have. But what they received was highly flammable packing foam. In an exclusive interview with "48 Hours" contributor Jim Axelrod, the Derderians said they wanted to set the record straight and reveal new information about that foam and accountability. Linda Saran: When I first went out the window, I landed on the stairs. ", "We are now at 65, and that may be higher ", Jeff Derderian: "Can you come in? Unlike many of the patrons there, this was Barr's first time at the club. [58] Others pointed out that Biechele had sent handwritten letters to the families of each of the 100 victims and that he had a work release position in a local charity. My parents taught us a lot, a lot of things. Linda Saran: Most of the crowd thought it was part of the show and didn't move. Linda Saran: The bar got quiet because people were dying literally and all you could hear was the roar of the fire and liquor bottles exploding. Updated on: October 24, 2021 / 2:07 AM Patrick Lynch: You're telling me it wasn't, and I don't know that it wasn't. So, I would think that the pyrotechnic provision would be in there just like we need to have, you know, 12 M&Ms, I mean, you know, and they need to be brown. I remember getting pushed from behind. Jody King: He was gregarious. Jim Axelrod: How do you know he went in nine times? We took shortcuts. 9. Scott James: It was a typical kind of roadside dive. Hundreds of people ran to the only exit many of them knew the way they came in. "[58] The state parole board received approximately twenty letters, the majority of which expressed their sympathy and support for Biechele, some going as far as to describe him as a "scapegoat" with limited responsibility. When King arrived, he saw the devastating scene. [48] The grand jury also did not return charges against Russell. Jeff Derderian: We feel a sense of guilt about what happened in the sense that you carry the guilt of knowing that these people aren't here anymore, and these people are hurt for the rest of their life. You walk on the property, and it doesnt feel tragic anymore. "[63] He added that the difference in the brothers' sentences reflected their respective involvement with the purchase and installation of the flammable foam.