shane strum education

Chief of Clinical Analytics at UCLA Health (Los Angeles). Strums employment agreement with Broward Health included several last-minute changes inserted by Strum and his lawyers at the Atlanta-based law firm King & Spalding. Providing such an environment inherently inspires and encourages innovation, especially during these transformative times that we are experiencing not just in healthcare but the world in general. BH used to be a family. Prior to his work with the state, Strum served as senior vice president at Memorial Healthcare System in Hollywood, Florida, where he was part of an executive team that managed over 15,000 employees and an annual budget more than $2.4 billion. I have the honor and privilege of leading diversity, equity and inclusion for Memorial Healthcare System, and it has provided a pathway for the initiation of trailblazing ideas. As such, we can't afford to do the same things the same way just because 'that's how it has always been done.' Making organizational contributions is a trend for Strum, who says he chose to join previous employers because there was something that needed to be accomplished and he felt he could attain to help make those businesses stronger. font-weight: bold; Certainly after the challenges of recent years, personal value, being heard and honesty ring loudly in the minds of most. What resources don't we have? In January, DeSantis Communications Director, Fred Piccolo left the Governors Office to become the Executive Vice-Chancellor of the Florida College System, a little more than five months after he joined the administration. The challenge will be strategically distributing ever-limited resources among endless opportunities mushrooming in every operational field. With successful implementations, we expand the technology quickly across our hospital system. The Becker's Hospital Review website uses cookies to display relevant ads and to enhance your browsing experience. As I was told when they took the rule of 80 away from employees many years ago after being promised this benefit when hired where is the money coming from? During his tenure, Strums accomplishments included growing social and digital platforms to enhance the healthcare systems reputation, establishing additional lines of revenue, developing a partnership with Moffitt Cancer Center, and collaborating on state and federal regulatory issues. Office: 954-776-8628. CEO and President of Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Boston). It's also about connecting with people on a personal as well as professional level. Education + Add. From his start as a member of Browards Young Republicans, he became chairman of the county GOP and later, a chief of staff to former Gov. Associate CEO at MUSC Health Columbia (S.C.) Medical Center Northeast. He called the lawsuit salacious and disappointing, but declined to comment further. The mission of our pediatric hospital system is 'make life better for children.' I have also realized significant value in creating an extensive, loose network. Finally, celebrate the small wins. In my opinion, the secret for keeping a spirit of inspiration and innovation alive on a healthcare team is to make sure your all teammates always look at where the puck will be rather than where it is at the present moment. Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer at Providence (Renton, Wash.). Contributors & reporters: Phil Ammann, Roseanne Dunkelberger, A.G. Gancarski, Anne Geggis, Kelly Hayes, Ryan Nicol, Jacob Ogles, Gray Rohrer, Jesse Scheckner, Christine Sexton, Andrew Wilson, Wes Wolfe, and Mike Wright. I am very happy for my friend. It has certainly not been easy navigating all of the hurdles over the last three years, to include all of the phases of COVID-19, financial pressures, staffing needs, civil unrest, the supply chain, prioritizing care from the OR to now pediatric patient beds, RSV, teleconferencing, telemedicine, a younger workforce, cultural changes and inflation, to name a few. Dave Kereiakes. On the other hand, sometimes we cannot wait for our existing partners to come out with a new feature because our patients are already expecting something beyond what is offered. I don't think we are doing enough to keep the spirit of inspiration alive. My colleagues impress me with their commitment to co-labor on collaborative approaches to financial stewardship of valuable time and limited resources. Strum will take over a hospital system that under Santorio recently had bounced back after years of turmoil and infighting that torpedoed morale and the districts credit rating, led some doctors to depart and others to publicly warn that mismanagement was impacting health care. This means that as our environment and patients' expectations change, we must too. Strum hopes the community views Broward Health as a hometown heroone which has been on the front lines long before the pandemic. Strum has exceled in higher education, having served as vice chancellor of Keiser University and director of corporate and government relations at Nova Southeastern University. This gives meaning to all of our work. "Shane does it with dignity and a level of professionalism that transcends the times., The job is an obvious ticket to a lucrative payday in the private sector. .clearfix { "Ive taken time to meet with internal and external teams, including senior staff, executives, and especially our caregivers on the frontline, he says. Shane Strum President and CEO, Broward Health A native of Broward County, Strum's legacy of public service has spanned nearly 30 years. Strum, WI. When expanded it provides a list of search options that will switch the search inputs to match the current selection. For Inspira, it's a poorly kept secret. The illegal payments included not only cash and checks, but family vacations to Cancun, The Bahamas and Walt Disney World plus tickets and a trip to Brazil for Bravo to attend the World Cup of Soccer in 2014. When it feels like something isn't working, be honest with the team and open to changes. People value being valued and are less productive when the job feels like a list of meaningless tasks. It is an important reminder that what we do makes a real impact. Working short handed due to vacancies, clinical education is so poor no one wants to work here. What opportunities should we capture? President and CEO at Broward Health (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.). Aaron Miri. Strum has a lot of work ahead of him. Guess who was held accountable for that . } Sources say Strum played hardball as he lined up votes in the Senate to oust Israel in October, a fight DeSantis needed to win. I always allow time and create space for brainstorming. Shane Strum is President/CEO at North Broward Hospital Dist. "We've been essential to the community for 85 years," says Shane Strum, Broward Health's president and CEO. STAFF LOGIN. margin-top: 1px; Top Companies . Absolutely false, Strum says. Puneet Freibott, RN. } Twitter:@PeterSchorschFL Charlie Crist. Every day, in every meeting, every interaction and every decision, we remember that we are here to care for patients as much as our colleagues on the campuses are, even if we don't directly touch patients. My secret for keeping a spirit of inspiration and innovation alive on my team is to allow for failure. At Providence, we have a bold vision and an inspiring mission. I am excited to lead an inspiring team here at Renown Health! } Fortunately, inspiration and innovation are hallmarks of my team at Providence and part of their 'why' for being here. Eikenberg recalled talks with Strum over a beer two decades ago at the old Nathaniels New River Tavern, discussing a hoped-for revival of the Republican Party in Broward. Gov. background-color: #f9f9f9; As a U.S. inventor and forward-thinker, I offer my various teams the opportunity to get engaged in disruptive healthcare technology development from scratch all the way to delivery. Kyle Underwood, MHA. Publisher: Peter Schorsch @PeterSchorschFL. The 60-day legislative session is nearing its end and some of DeSantis priorities are in peril. Ron DeSantis' chief of staff, Shane Strum, has been hired as chief executive officer of one of the largest public health-care systems in the country. When you lead knowing your team is your greatest asset, your team should feel that and you will see their inspiration and innovation at every checkpoint in the larger vision. "We are going to bring more hope to this generation. Thats $45,000 more than his boss, DeSantis, whose pay is set by law. Ironically, challenging times and stressed environments are excellent breeding grounds for innovation. DeSantis. There are several key components that help nurture a spirit of innovation: First, consistently communicate the vision to all members of the team. One of the biggest challenges facing any organization, whether healthcare related or not, is how to keep your team inspired and motivated to continue innovating. This has given them a sense of personal ownership, and also credibility in the organization. Francis is the only African-American among nine finalists, but wont meet the legal requirements of the position until then. The U.S. Department of the Treasury recently approved up to $339 million in funding for five states and territories under the State Small Business Credit Initiative (SSBCI). He also said the governor is open to waiting until September to name Palm Beach Circuit Judge Renatha Francis to the Florida Supreme Court. We look forward to Mr. Strum successfully leading our health system forward.. Check Full Reputation Profile, (Philip's) . Phone: (727) 642-3162 Shane Strum is a Broward Education Foundation "2020 Hall of Fame Honoree" in the category of Community Achievement. President and CEO at Trinity Health (Livonia, Mich.). Strum earned his Master of Business Administration from Nova Southeastern University and his Bachelor of Arts in political science from the University of Alabama. Senior Vice President and Chief Quality and Safety Officer at Inspira Health (Mullica Hill, N.J.). Florida Bulldog delivers fact-based watchdog reporting as a public service thats essential to a free and democratic society. Now it is top heavy C-suite paid hot mess of a family therapy session. Strum said DeSantis wants Florida to be the next state to offer digital drivers licenses that can be stored in motorists smartphones. Shlomit Schaal, MD, PhD, MHCM. Charlie Crist. } Healthcare is full of stories that inspire and engage, but too often get lost in the noise of daily tasks and challenges. Tallahassee, Fla. - Today, Governor Ron DeSantis signed the state budget for Fiscal Year 2020-2021. He has led initiatives that have lowered costs of prescription drugs, expanded telehealth services, improved transparency and quality in healthcare, and increased awareness of mental health and substance abuse issues throughout the state. Executive Vice President and Chief People Officer at Providence (Renton, Wash.). The proposed rule drew challenges from Tampa General Hospital and the North Broward Hospital District, whose president and chief executive officer is Shane Strum, DeSantis' former chief of staff . Creating an environment where people want to go above and beyond because of a true connection to mission is imperative. This helps my team feel like they are growing and, to borrow the phrase, working at top-of-license. margin-bottom: 1px; .widget-row.Democratic { It's important to remember that our leaders are closer to a lot of this work, and it's awesome for them to see their ideas move forward which creates collaboration and excitement for that department, leader and care team member. Creative thinking and innovation allow you to maximize performance, but it is easy to be resigned to monotony. So, in this collaborative care environment where our people know how much their voices matter that transcends into how we care for patients. Your information will NEVER be shared or sold to a third party. Michele Szkolnicki. Trishul Kapoor, MD, CSTAR Fellow. We have focused energy to spotlight outstanding daily clinical efforts, emphasize leadership from the front and build gratitude into all we do. Our secret for keeping inspiration and innovation alive on our team? } We held a series of design sessions among 450 employees from diverse areas within our health system allowing them to redesign our recruitment and retention strategy. President and Chief Executive Officer There is a period set for evaluation and, if it is not working, then we start over. .infobox p { } It's not enough to recognize the problems, but to also know that there are solutions waiting to be found. It doesn't have to relate to the job. Bruce Rogen, MD, MPH, FACP. I stress the importance of a growth mindset. I saw this come to life during the pandemic as we battled various workforce challenges. I continue to be inspired and look for innovation every day, knowing we are here for the patients and that it could be one of us or a loved one in that hospital bed. [1] [2] Free Tools . To that end, we use the IHI's Triple Aim (Improve Patient Experience, Improve Outcomes and Reduce Cost/Capita) as a strategic goal. Strum resigned in March 2021 to pursue a career with Broward Health.[1][2]. As we look to the future, we know the road ahead will require bold vision and the ability to form collaborative relationships with industry and community partners. January 24, 2023 - Florida Atlantic University and Broward Health on Monday announced a partnership agreement that will provide academic medicine to Broward County, and opportunities to collaborate in the areas of education, clinical training and practice, health services administration and research. Broward Health Medical Center and Tampa General Hospital have asked an administrative law judge to strike down rules that deal with . As a leader, I make sure I try to learn something new everyday. What inspires me, and the teams I work with, are the people who follow their passions in healthcare. We then create opportunities, whether through hallway conversations or structured one-on-ones, where they can share their story and reflect on how their experience is linking to their why and personal 'metrics.' Alexa B. Kimball, MD. The Board focused on finding a leader who can build upon the momentum Broward Health has gained in the past two years, said Nancy Gregoire, chair of the North Broward Hospital District Board of Commissioners. Sometimes our greatest solutions are born from our failures. Rick Scott's transition, has been named vice chancellor of business development at Keiser University. My secret is really not a secret: I meet with my team members, colleagues and vendors to better understand their goals and motivations, share information with complete transparency, engage a large and diverse group of stakeholders to work creatively to structure relationships and agreements where everyone benefits, and celebrate widely our successes as a team. To do so, we do three things. When our nurses are encouraged to identify problems and offer creative solutions, we build a supportive environment based on innovation and learning versus being afraid of failure. With 1,584 licensed beds, a team of more than 1,600 active medical staff and 8,000 employees, Broward Health is committed to providing the highest quality patient-centered care for the community. In such a dynamic space, every day is completely different, and there are many questions we won't immediately have answers to it takes a very special kind of person to be comfortable and thrive in that type of environment. I believe empowering a team is one of the best ways to nurture innovation. Broward Healths seven-member board, hobbled by three long-unfilled seats, unanimously voted 4-0 to approve the Fort Lauderdale residents contract on Feb. 24 in what looked to be something of a rush toward the end of its regular meeting. Devise ways to connect with stakeholders for feedback and ideas and to identify areas of opportunity and partnership. Strum will begin a three-year contract at the helm of Broward Health on March 8. Reputation Score: 2.11 - 3.76. width: 150px; Sunila Levi. .widget-row.Libertarian { Commissioners Ray Berry and Nancy Gregoire were the most vocal in their support for Strums generous severance arrangements. Florida Politics is a statewide, new media platform covering campaigns, elections, government, policy, and lobbying in Florida. Peggy Duggan. Fort Lauderdale, Fl. From a digital perspective, we intentionally ask ourselves on a regular basis, 'What has been the best consumer experience we have had recently?' Shane Strum joined Broward Health in March 2021, taking over as CEO of the Fort Lauderdale-based health system during the coronavirus pandemic. .widget-img { Now as Broward Health prepares to celebrate its 85th anniversary in January, it is clear to longtime workers like Thelma Coates how much the hospital system has changed. Expand. Before joining Broward Health, Strum served as Florida Governor Ron DeSantis chief of staff and led the Governors staff in implementing a $90 billion budget, overseeing 20 state agencies with more than 100,000 employees, gubernatorial appointments, and cabinet affairs. The groundbreaking partnership was announced by Shane Strum, president and CEO of Broward Health, during its State of the System address recognizing the system's 85 th anniversary. 954-355-4400. We are taking it in the throat one more time. We have seen innovative programs make a difference at Providence. } Along the process, take time to make sure your team knows you see what they are contributing and celebrate their accomplishments along the way. Lifting up team members and acknowledging the various strengths each one offers, and providing a matching individualized venue to grow those skills, is the secret sauce for our successful invention and mentorship shop. And this option requires me to establish an environment of safety to promote innovation my folks' successes are theirs and any failures are mine. So lets see. I strongly believe that 'structure determines behavior.' It's infectious once you start that process. Our employees are empowered to create positive change and challenge the status quo. Never discount an idea unless researched and considered carefully; work together as a team to build consensus around where we need to be going and all the different potential ways to get there. SSBCI was established in 2010 and then recently . Alicia Gravesen. Wasif Rasheed. Mark's Commercial is home to the most advanced and innovative workwear, CSA approved industrial footwear and PPE brands available, suitable for any industry. It's simple. Sinai Miami Medical Center on Feb. These patients have names, families and lives that rely on their treatment to be uninterrupted. By facilitating, acknowledging and, where appropriate, rewarding. We tirelessly recruit and retain team members with strong curiosity. Michael A. Slubowski. Our name lets our community know that we want to evolve, and we want them to be well. color: white; Shane Strum, Gov. (Steve Bousquet). Anyone who takes $1,000,000 salary per year from Broward Health should be aware that retirees are not able to get their medications as they did before on the new plan. Administrative Director of Innovation and IT Clinical, Ancillary and Research Systems at Houston Methodist. A lot of organizations have statistics, but we're letting the data help us piece together a story that informs our approach. Next, your Primary physicians must be on the plan. 33307. Broward Health offers a variety of healthcare services, including a Level I trauma center, an award-winning childrens hospital, comprehensive cancer care, joint replacement, cardiovascular services, comprehensive stroke care, maternity care, a network of community healthcare centers and much more. However, it does not take much to realize how far we've come over this time, innovating in part out of need for agility in the moment, and sometimes taking the risk to embrace new technologies and processes that celebrate a bright unbounded future. When team members are in sync with the mission, I find that's the sweet spot because they become problem solvers. Strum says DeSantis is meticulous and seeks the best appointees he can find. If you want others to follow, you need to give them hope and a reason to believe that everything is possible. Sometimes significant contributions are the end point in performance for team members when they work hard and feel unseen. Daily inspiration is drawn from witnessing the sacrifices of local healthcare heroes and pushing ourselves toward solutions that enable people to live their best and most fulfilling lives. Fraud and corruption led to a whistleblower lawsuit and federal intervention that resulted in Broward Health paying $69.5 million in 2015 to settle allegations that it had paid illegal kickbacks to nine doctors for referring patients to its hospitals. margin: auto; Truveta is a great example; we had initial discussions with various partners over two years before Truveta's launch, and it has been tremendously rewarding to see what that idea on a whiteboard has become, especially as others have now taken the wheel. He worked as deputy secretary to the Florida Department of Management Services and as director of business development at Aplifi, Inc. } When the opportunity presents itself in the form of a full-time job, interest must be sustained over an extended period and that requires a derivation of energy and focus that is continuously renewed. In order to get the stipend there are several hoops to jump through. It was probably one of the few times we had an opportunity to collectively talk to all the hospital CEOs across the state of Florida, especially in South Florida, where we have a large population and a lot of hospitals. He has his work cut our for him. For now, Strum basks in the reflected glow of DeSantis extended honeymoon with Floridians. Charlie Crist as his chief of staff today. They include Arkansas, Guam, Rhode Island, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Wisconsin. paparazzi clothing store. Like his former boss, Gov. width: 43%; It's important to allow teams to make suggestions and be a part of the process of developing programs so they not only feel inspired, but they also have a sense of ownership and pride for the work they're doing. We all have choices, and we should choose to inspire and to do no harm. We can't talk about the future of nursing and healthcare without acknowledging where we are right now. One of the hospitals challenging the rules - Broward Health Medical Center - is part of the North Broward Hospital District, which decided this week to hire Shane Strum, DeSantis' chief of staff, as its CEO. The North Broward Hospital District Board of Commissioners named Strum the permanent President/CEO of Broward Health on February 8, 2021. As part of an ongoing series, Becker's is talking to healthcare leaders who will speak at our conference. The salary in his contract isnt much different than that of previous CEOs, although for obvious reasons terms like severance need to be. At Sanford Health, our employees come to work each day knowing that everyone is accountable for safety and that their voice matters. But with Shane Strum, Broward General is getting someone who basically has been Chief of Staff for the last three Florida Governors and has overseen vast growth and improvement statewide while working with people from all over the map. } width: 100%; The groundbreaking partnership was announced by Shane Strum . "We opened our first hospital in 1938, just 20-some years after the City of Fort Lauderdale was founded," said Shane Strum, President & CEO of Broward Health. Always supported with sound stats, including supported and measurable expectations clearly identified in their job descriptions and evaluation. Sharing stories and experiences of how we have touched the lives of patients keeps our momentum and sense of purpose alive. With wellness as a priority, we focus on daily workflow processes/assignments that may impact physician wellness, such as call shift assignment, work hour analysis and anesthesiologist concurrency, as this relates to case acuity. The cells are generated in just 24 hours. Broward Health CEO Shane Strum Biography , Wife Age, Education And Net Worth. That is why we strive to create a culture where frequent and transparent communication is the norm, collaboration is encouraged and people know their input is valued. The best part is you aren't responsible for coming up with all of the new ideas when you empower your team. DeSantis has had a number of different chiefs of staff in his tenure as governor, which includes Shane Strum, who is now CEO of Broward Health, Lukis, and now Utheimer. In contrast, I create a culture in which my team feels inspired and empowered to try new things, to think outside the box and to innovate. As a faith-based health system this always brings people back to our higher purpose in providing the most personal of human services body, mind and spirit and reminding ourselves of the difference we are making for people and communities. Joseph Webb. The Biological needed in our house is now $ 2,000 not $50. The governor wants to talk to everybody, Strum said. That is a hefty raise at the expense of the tax payers. Chief Digital Officer at Memorial Hermann Health System (Houston). Strum has an MBA from Nova Southeastern University and a Bachelor of Arts in political science from the University of Alabama. His management expertise in business, education, health care and government will accelerate Governor-elect . if(document.getElementsByClassName("reference").length==0) if(document.getElementById('Footnotes')!==null) document.getElementById('Footnotes').parentNode.style.display = 'none'; Ballotpedia features 395,557 encyclopedic articles written and curated by our professional staff of editors, writers, and researchers. If there is one thing I have learned, listening to your team can spark the greatest inspiration. Strum is deeply committed to serving the local community and has sat on numerous boards throughout his career, including Broward College Foundation, Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance, FloridaTaxWatch, and the Broward Sheriffs Foundation. 954-344-3000. The most we can get for a raise is three percent and are told pretty much have to walk on water for 3 percent so end up getting a two percent raise which after many years is cents not even a dollar.Just recently the district took away the retiree benefit of healthcare leaving long time employees and retirees without the rule of 80 promised years ago and left with paying exorbitant prices for their health insurance. CEO at Nashville General Hospital. Physicians have tried for years to fix these problems, but no one is listening. Our caregivers want to be part of something bigger than themselves, meaningfully contributing to their communities. It's a win-win! Remind them always of our straightforward motto: Patients First!. High reliability and all the benefits it provides in redundancy and resiliency as well as the impact of developing a collaborative just culture is truly inspiring. See chord charts and strum patterns in real time so you .