parable of the talents verse

This may be applied to the blessings of this life; but rather to the means of grace. 4 The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. Because you have been faithful in a very small matter, you will have authority over ten cities. 18 Then the second one came and said, Sir, your mina has made five minas. 19 So the king said to him, And you are to be over five cities. 20 Then another slave came and said, Sir, here is your mina that I put away for safekeeping in a piece of cloth. These things are good and beneficial for all people (Titus 3:4-8). 12:6; 1 Cor. New American Bible the one who received five talents went and traded with them, and made another five. I will put you in charge of many things. The element of work. The day of account comes at last. Let us listen carefully then, looking to Gods Spirit to enlighten our hearts and minds, and to empower our service, to the glory of God and our eternal good. What is the meaning of the Parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard? The true believer is represented by the seed that grows, that endures, and that bears fruit. Ed, Issue 46, Winter 2023. man goes to another country, stays a long time, and then returns. Heaven can hardly be described in terms of retirement. If we seek to shun the work our Lord has given us, it betrays a wrong attitude and relationship with our Master. 23 Why then didnt you put my money in the bank, so that when I returned I could have collected it with interest? 24 And he said to his attendants, Take the mina from him, and give it to the one who has ten. 25 But they said to him, Sir, he has ten minas already! 26 I tell you that everyone who has will be given more, but from the one who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. 276 Needless to say, bankers and banking were not the same in those days. He doesnt even take the trouble to take it to the money changers, and let them work with it to gain something for his master. I am saying that our labors for the kingdom have no point of termination except for our Lords return, and even then fruitful labor will continue in heaven. When the master returned, the first two eagerly met their master, apparently delighted in the opportunity to multiply their masters money.273 Both were commended as good and faithful servants; both were rewarded with increased responsibilities in their masters service; both were invited to share in their masters joy. First, the master stayed away for a long time ( Matthew 25:19 ). This parable is paired with the parable of the 10 virgins, who made the mistake of not having enough oil when the bridegroom arrives. God expects a profit, and He holds us accountable for what we have done with what He has entrusted to us. The slaves excuse was that his master was a harsh man, and this caused him to be afraid of his master, thus doing nothing with the money entrusted to him. You have been faithful with a few things. And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one. Bible Memory Verse. The Parable of the Talents (Lk 19:11-27) 14 "For it is as if a man, going on a journey, summoned his slaves and entrusted his property to them; 15 to one he gave five talents,f to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. He demanded that they make something out of nothing, so to speak. 19 After a long time, the master of those slaves came and settled his accounts with them. The parable of the talents is one of those Bible stories most of us know, yet its hard to understand. We would probably do well to compare this text with a couple of passages in the Gospel of Luke: 16 So the first one came before him and said, Sir, your mina has made ten minas more. 17 And the king said to him, Well done, good slave! Since Jesus was the son of God and therefore had a right to the kingship he claimed, we cant accuse him of stealing what he didnt deserve. The term employed in Matthew 25:16 emphasizes work. The master rebuked this slave for being evil and lazy. But each man doubled his masters money. 28So take the talent from him, and give it to him who has ten talents. But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money. The element of money. [14]For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. A primary word; 'else, ' i.e. third servant seeks to excuse himself by accusing his master of being harsh. All three stories are about being given something which must be used well, and the consequences of neglecting or abusing it. See, I have gained five more. 21 His master answered, Well done, good and faithful slave! I am reminded of this passage in the Book of Hebrews: 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, we must get rid of every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and run with endurance the race set out for us, 2 keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of our faith. He said to him, Why do you ask me about what is good? My thinking on retirement in this lesson started with the observation that heaven is not the end of work, but the multiplication and continuation of work: 20 The one who had received the five talents came and brought five more, saying, Sir, you entrusted me with five talents. The similarities between the parable in Matthew 25 and this parable in Lukes Gospel are easily seen: While the parable in Luke is similar to our parable in Matthew 25, there are some significant differences: The temptation is for us to carry details from the parable in Lukes Gospel over to Matthews account, but we should be careful about this, recognizing that these parables, while similar, were told on different occasions and contain significant differences. Parable of the Talents While interest could not be charged of fellow-Israelites, it could be charged of foreigners (see Deuteronomy 23:19-20). You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. retirement has become a socially acceptable form of burying ones talent. He is evil in the sense that he is useless, or unprofitable. Notice how this same word279 is used in Matthew 7: In the same way, every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad [literally rotten] tree bears bad fruit (Matthew 7:17, emphasis mine). There is a great reward waiting for those who steward well with what the Lord has given them. Follow Christ's journey to the Cross. 19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them. To them belong the adoption as sons, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the temple worship, and the promises. Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden - Bible Story, The Ten Commandments - Bible Verses and Importance Today, Parable of the Prodigal Son - Bible Story, The Resurrection of Jesus - Bible Story and Prophecy. get answers to your Bible questions from 50+ resources ($2,400+ value! 19Now (H)after a long time the master of those servants came and (I)settled accounts with them. The third servant did not invest his masters money at all; he dug a hole in the ground and buried his masters money. So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10:31). William Hendriksen, The Gospel of Matthew (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Book House, 1973), p. 881. However, Jesus claimed kingship in a way that confused many people, and the way his kingdom operates often offends our sense of propriety. Noelle Kirchner, The Generosity Of God parable in Luke is told when Jesus was near Jerusalem, before His triumphal entry; in Matthew, the parable is told when Jesus was in Jerusalem, a few days later. Let us then consider the primary message in this text. Whatever they may pretend, the fact is, they dislike the character and work of the Lord. The fact the master owns the money he gave the servants, and he gets the results of their investments, highlights who is in control. Verse Concepts. The master is pleased with both servants and gives them new responsibilities: You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. READ the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25:14-30. When the third servants excuses are set aside, it becomes evident that this man is lazy he didnt do any work. God entrusted Israel, and especially its leaders, with the truth, and they did not use it properly. English Standard Version The Parable of the Talents 14 "For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[ a] and entrusted to them his property. From kerdos; to gain. What is the meaning of the Parable of the Two Sons? Time has been a significant factor in our Lords teaching concerning His coming and the end of the age, beginning in chapter 24. Those who know not the day of their visitation shall have the things that belong to their peace hid from their eyes. So, whatever we are doing (provided its not a sinful activity), we serve God well by doing it well. Our receiving from Christ is in order to our working for him. The soil which produces no grain (in other instances, no fruit, or no profit) is bad soil. Our labors for the Master should increase, not diminish, if we are kingdom minded. master. A poor man (a sort of enterprising beggar, perhaps) was busy entertaining the visitors to the zoo. He is not harsh, nor does He require that we do the impossible (make a profit where He has not provided the means). 3:21; 21:7], Matt. 27 But as for these enemies of mine who did not want me to be their king, bring them here and slaughter them in front of me!. Works are the result of faith, not a substitute for faith. Download our craft directions below, gather your craft supplies, and watch the example video as you prepare to teach. ), [Rom. Jumble. 5 See, you have what is yours. 26 But his master answered, Evil and lazy slave! We naturally want to believe we can use our gifts as we please. Is this not the way that our Lords adversaries looked at Him? What is the meaning of the Parable of the Rich Fool? While commentators differ somewhat over the approximate value of a talent in todays economy, all would agree that it was a large amount of money. Includes discussion questions and verse by verse commentary for small groups. Neither group knew when the groom was coming. Indeed, they accused Him of being a wicked sinner, more worthy of death than Barabbas. If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will never know at what hour I will come against you. These rebels are slaughtered. What is the meaning of the Parable of the Unjust Steward (Luke 16:1-13)? We have the most valuable gift of all, the Word of God and the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. So you knew, did you, that I was a severe man, withdrawing what I didnt deposit and reaping what I didnt sow? The first servant has made the biggest return (10 minas from one mina, or 10 talents from five talents). All rights reserved. We are fearfully and wonderfully made by God (Psalm 139:13-14), according to plans he laid out before we were born (Jeremiah 1:5), to glorify him forever. The joy of the master must, in some way, equate to enjoying the bliss of heaven, with our Lord. Inductive Bible study of Jesus' parable of the talents in Matthew 25:14-30. Copyright 1982 by Thomas Nelson. After all of Jesus' teaching, the disciples, although still limited in their knowledge and understanding, knew for sure that Jesus was to restore His Kingdom to Israel ( Acts 1:6 ). Never, other than in our text (according to most versions), is it employed to begin a new paragraph. It may be that you are not like the first two slaves, but like the third. For to everyone who has, more will be given, and he will have abundance; but from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away. But Abraham said, Child, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things and Lazarus likewise bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in anguish (Luke 16:25). Multiply Your Talents Enter into the joy of your master!' 22 The servant who had received the two talents also came and said, 'Master, you entrusted me with two talents. Is the salvation of lost sinners not profit in the eternal sense? The one who has been faithful on earth with a little thing like money will be given greater work to do in heaven. Enter into (M)the joy of your master. 22And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more. 23His master said to him, Well done, good and faithful servant. Then the one who had received the one talent came and said, Sir, I knew that you were a hard man, harvesting where you did not sow, and gathering where you did not scatter seed (Matthew 25:24, emphasis mine). 14 "For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[ a] and entrusted to them his property. And part of the reward the faithful slave is entering into is the joy of his Master in bringing salvation to men. Read: MATTHEW 25:14-30. In addition, anyone who wants to share the Bible with others can print unlimited copies and give them away free to others. 18 But the one who had received one talent went out and dug a hole in the ground and hid his masters money in it. They justified their rejection of Jesus by claiming that He was the problem. The Parable of the Talents, Matthew 25:14-30, impresses on them the weight of that responsibility and the serious consequences of neglecting to understand and apply His instructions. Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made. Wells The Invisible Man where a foolish theologian suggests a strangers problem is he only has one talent. Let me call your attention to the most important elements of the parable, as I now understand it. Re-read the passage, preferably in a different translation to get a clearer perspective on what the passage is communicating. Is this not cause for rejoicing (see Acts 11:19-24)? Renny and Marina McLean, The Lord Teaches Us to Profit Matthew 25:29 (NIV) ANSWERS. The degree to which our earthly labor has been faithful and profitable will determine the degree to which we enter into joyful labor in heaven. 10 For we are his workmanship, having been created in Christ Jesus for good works that God prepared beforehand so we may do them (Ephesians 2:8-10). This is his excuse for doing nothing. 15 To one he gave five talents,[ b] to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. But none of them adequately explain it. 3 And there will no longer be any curse, and the throne of God and the Lamb will be in the city. The second slave presents his master with four talents. I believe that there are other texts of Scripture which indicate that God has entrusted (by common grace, in some cases) certain assets to all men, and that all men are accountable to God for how they use (or do not use) these resources which God has entrusted to them. However, the talents (or minas in Lukes version) represent more than just the monetary resources God gives us. The apocalyptic context is underscored in Lukes version, where people try to keep the master from becoming king and are killed for their rebellion. In the natural world, talents differ. This was paradise, my friend, and thus their work was not drudgery; it was a delight: 8 The Lord God planted an orchard in the east, in Eden; and there he placed the man he had formed. Heaven is not a hammock; it is not a glorified vacation. 28So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 26But his lord answered and said to him, You (J)wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. The parable of the talents is told in Matthew 25:14-30 and Luke 19:11-27. In the parable, the gifts are given according to natural ability, but all who increase equally are rewarded equally. Theparable of the talents is told in Matthew 25:14-30 and Luke 19:11-27. Luke, the man who went away is a nobleman who leaves to obtain a kingdom; in Matthew, no such information is given. What is your ministry, your unique contribution to the kingdom of God? This slave does absolutely nothing with the talent that has been entrusted to him, nothing but bury it, that is.277 We need to distinguish between his excuses and the masters assessment, both of which are conveyed in our text. The Parable of the Talents. If we loved our Master, we would view our labors for Him as joy. 13 And he summoned ten of his slaves, gave them ten minas, and said to them, Do business with these until I come back. 14 But his citizens hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, We do not want this man to be king over us! 15 When he returned after receiving the kingdom, he summoned these slaves to whom he had given the money. Most importantly, bringing glory to God is profitable. Used by permission. In the parable of the talent, there are two clear references to time. The master told them to care for his money and the first two servants used the talents to trade and gain profit. And the longer the master was gone, the more interest was lost by the slaves inactivity. 17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two. ), for my conscience assures me in the Holy Spirit 2 I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. A talent, just so you know, was a measure of money. 14 "Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them. I believe that this parable focuses on four major themes: resources, work, time and profit. Let me explain my reasons for reaching this conclusion, in spite of the fact that it differs with the generally accepted divisions (verses 1-13, verses 14-30, verses 31-46). It is a usual way of expressing the miseries of the damned in hell. I will put you in charge of many things. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. 278 Actually, the good slave is both morally good and useful, but his usefulness is emphasized most in the context. So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. Salem Media Group. 4 But you have a few individuals in Sardis who have not stained their clothes, and they will walk with me dressed in white, because they are worthy. 20 "So he who had received five talents came and brought five other talents, saying, 'Lord, you delivered to me five talents; look, I have gained five more talents besides them.' 21 His lord said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you werefaithful over a few things,I will make you ruler over many things. One's own; by implication, private or separate. The one who gets the biggest return on investment gets the big promotion. Heaven is described in terms of work, not play, of activity, not passivity. I am not arguing against retirement in the economic sense. Since a talent was actually a measurement of weight, it did not have a constant value. From apodemos; to go abroad, i.e. In fact, if this were to take place today, that money would likely be worth less, due to inflation. Third, they are invited to enter into the joy of your master. Just what does this mean, to enter into the masters joy? The first presents his master with ten talents. Retirement is thought of more in terms of the golf course than finishing our course in the Pauline sense (2 Timothy 4:7). What is the meaning of the Parable of the Good Samaritan? Lets call this aspect of profit exaltation. The master goes on his journey, which Luke notes has some opposition (Luke 19:14-15). Enter into, He also who had received two talents came and said, Lord, you delivered to me two talents; look, I have gained two more talents besides them.. Theres afamous scene in the movie Chariots of Fire where future Olympian Eric Liddell feels a tension between his chance to be an Olympic runner and his calling to be a missionary in China. However, as planned, he becomes king of the distant land and returns home to see how his servants have done. - Unto one he gave five talents. By submitting your email address, you understand that you will receive email communications from Bible Gateway, a division of The Zondervan Corporation, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA, including commercial communications and messages from partners of Bible Gateway. Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed: And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and, Take therefore the talent from him, and give. Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. I have often been puzzled over these words, repeated several times in the New Testament: For the one who has will be given more, and he will have more than enough. Entering into the joy of our Master is, in the context of our text, entering into profitable labor for all eternity. 26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed: 27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury. 28 Father, glorify your name. Then a voice came from heaven, I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again (John 12:27-28). For less than $5/mo. As I was teaching the parable of the virgins, I could not see how verse 13 served as any kind of conclusion to the first 12 verses. What is the meaning of the Parable of the Growing Seed (Mark 4:26-29)? We should first consider the masters assessment of all three slaves: The first two slaves were commended as being both good and faithful. The term good is sometimes employed in a moral sense.