mike duncan after revolutions

Right, that is 100 percent true. We cant be rock. Although, they have got compounds in New Zealand. No, the point being is that in Hong Kong, in ChileIm here in Paris, and we have the gilets jaunes thing that just came throughthere are mass protests, there are people staging revolutionary challenges, there are disaffected elites who would like to see various regimes overthrown and are happy to finance and underwrite various challenges to various regimes. We will leave them nameless, for the moment. I was honored. That is it, were in post-racial America. But they, of course, would make the same argument, Im sure. Now, when it comes to actually presenting this material, my focus has been to focus on the who, and the what, and the when. This does seem like its becoming a bit of a trend. A weekly podcasting exploring great political revolutions. Right? Dismiss. Im going to have a lot of time on my hands after Revolutions, and at some point I dont know exactly what I am going to do with myself. After not finding any Roman history podcasts in 2007, Duncan began The History of . There have been a few times where a coup or some kind of uprising has worked, but was the French revolution planned? And Im talking about Aurelian did this, and Aurelian did that, and Diocletian did this, and Diocletian did that, and it can appear, at times, to be great man history. New Spain. Browse Mike Duncan's best-selling audiobooks and newest titles. After a wave of chaos spread across France, the National Assembly abolished feudalism on the night of Aug. 4, 1789. Comments. Even though podcasting didnt exist 50 years ago, theres always been a popularizing tradition. Thats true, speaking of history being driven by mistakes rather than out-and-out genius. They couldve just blasted these people into submission. I think that is going to happen with Lenin quite a bit. Was I successfully cagey about my political opinions? Oct. 29 Newark NJ @ New Jersey Performing Arts Center. In 1783, right after the end of the revolution, Lafayette committed himself to abolitionism. Grey History: The French Revolution & Napoleon. 9,475 ratings. Final Episode- Adieu Mes Amis. A Current Affairs subscription is one of the best known ways to improve your life in a hurry. Right? THE HIGHWAY TO HEAVEN: DIVINE REASON OR FAITH? The Porfiriato. 1) What made you want to start podcasting? 2. How do you deal with this? This button displays the currently selected search type. Yeah, what will be really fun is in like 20 years, when everything has gotten much, much, much worse, and then even Stephen Miller is like, Wait, I dont like this. And then we are going to be like, Oh, Stephen Miller is good now.. 17. Thats a nice prescriptive statement. . Well I appreciate that. I havent ever written this up, but I do have something resembling a manifesto for a new society in my head, that I think would be really important. BookPage "Mike Duncan's excellent, well-researched book portrays Lafayette's extraordinary life as a fascinating, transatlantic drama with three great revolutions and transitional interludes that carry the reader through seven explosive decades of historical change. Well just do that. Its like: what youre saying right now is that were still going to have an election, but the person who gets fewer votes wins, and thats good? So my degree was political science with a minor in philosophy. Is there a particular way that you deal with that? Jobs People Learning Dismiss Dismiss. Right. I mean, even a lot of Napoleons career is built around mistakes and luck far more than him having some genius plan and pulling it off. Megyn Kelly is joined by the hosts of the Ruthless Podcast, Comfortably Smug, Josh Holmes, Michael Duncan and John Ashbrook, to discuss Gisele Fetterman's de. ago. His award-winning series, The History of Rome, narrated the rise and fall of the Roman Empire, and remains a beloved landmark in the history of podcasting. But Mike's superpower is his storytelling skill. So, to your point, I think when we look around at what is happening these days, it is impossible to ever plant your flag on something and say, Oh, well that was the end of that, or This is the beginning of that. I think that we, in our own timesI speak even as a historian who has some experience with looking for places to plant flags and dividesay, Oh, this is when it started, and this is when it ended, and this epoch divides from this epoch. Even in the modern world, we have no ability to figure that stuff out. We have two missions: to produce the world's first readable political publication and to make life joyful again. So, the resources that they were going to be able to marshal with the parliament in place was far greater than just with some rickety autocrat, which is another observation I can make and has probably just made me enemies and friends simultaneously. I think we wanted to ask you about some broader lessons or commonalities that youve drawn out between revolutions. SHOW ALL. We have to build walls. I will say, however, that when the MAGA people find me, they are profoundly disappointed. I mean, this is Auschwitz stuff, this is On War stuff. But then I wound up moving on to ancient history. If you were to try to do a season on the French Revolution in the 1860s, it wouldnt have worked. So, I do think that there is a connection between debt and the finances of an empire or a kingdom or a republic. I mean, we still have a lot of the same trends. And one other thing that I think I have done well on this front, and Im doing this with the Russian RevolutionIm forcing myself to do thisis when we know how the revolution turned out, then we start to back up and write a straight-line history of the event knowing how it is going to end. You do mass surveys with the kids who are 14, 15, 16 years old and theyre baffled about homophobia, about racism, about trans issues, about immigration issues. BookPage "Mike Duncan's excellent, well-researched book portrays Lafayette's extraordinary life as a fascinating, transatlantic drama with three great revolutions and transitional interludes that carry the reader through seven explosive decades of historical change. We can call them the new Okies, right? So were not offended. And so it comes down to both: how confident people are in the regimes future ability to pay back these debts, and then also, is there a clique of bankers who think that they can use this to their advantage? filed 27 February 2021 in Interviews. Again, extremely interested in reading that. Michael William Duncan is an American political history podcaster and author. For tickets to the October dates: Oct. 3 Austin TX @ Paramount Theater. When expanded it provides a list of search options that will switch the search inputs to match the current selection. Were very much in favor of that. Mike Duncan is one of the most popular history podcasters in the world and author of the New York Times-bestselling books The Storm Before the Storm: The Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic and Hero of Two Worlds: The Marquis de Lafayette in the Age of Revolution.His award-winning series, The History of Rome, remains a legendary landmark in the history of podcasting. Another aspect of this is the period of time in which these events are happening is relatively short in terms of human history. They dont even speak the same language. The Creelman Interview. Instead, he loomed large on the world stage for decades after the war, and history podcaster Duncan does a fine job of filling out his subject's life. I mean, you said that theres an alternative. Because we all watched this happen, with the previous administration. Known for. As a historical researcher he's come a long way over the course of Revolutions, never mind History of Rome. The somewhat insular world of TV animation was thrust into the spotlight in quite the negative way earlier this year when Rick and Morty co-creator was fired from the Adult Swim series (and other projects) over a domestic violence complaint filed by an ex-girlfriend in 2020. Oct. 5 Seattle @ Town Hall. Our print magazine is released six times a year, in a beautiful full-color edition full of elegant design, sophisticated prose, and satirical advertisements. Happy Fun Guy over here. Many, many people do not. Mike Duncan's Revolutions podcast . What are we doing here, Lyta? This is in, let us say, the mid 90s. Mike Duncan, the ever-impressive podcaster, delivers a really fun page-turner with this book. On Thursday, the CEO of Tesla, Elon Musk takes on Twitter to highly recommend Mike Duncan's podcast called Revolutions. We came out of World War II, we had the Civil Rights Movement, and this is the end of all of that. Having said that, Im never going to be able to avoid my own bias, and its clear who I can be sympathetic to and who I am notI am not sympathetic to Metternich, for example. I do believe that there will continue to be revolutionary upheavals for the foreseeable future, for the next couple hundred years. Its Francis Fukuyama throwing history out of the bar, and then he turns around, and history is back at the bar. Are there going to be more revolutions? This is a thing that I do actually believe. When expanded it provides a list of search options that will switch the search inputs to match the current selection. This button displays the currently selected search type. So, always keeping that in the forefront of my mind does help keep things grounded, I think, in a really healthy way. Theres a silly debate going on right now about whether the professional managerial class has revolutionary class consciousness. I guess I wanted to get your view on that. I think that there are two ways that we can approach this as human beings. So, when I talk about this stuff, I often talk about what future historians are going to say about such and such an event. Mike Duncan also has done a podcast series on various other revolutions, which I'm interested in listening to in the future, perhaps sooner than later. The following transcript of their conversation has been lightly edited and condensed for clarity. Youre talking about revolutions. Paris Commune 9 . You mean the people in history are people? The Republican Party knows for itself that its representing a shrinking demographic. And I, just in conversations with my wife and with friends, you always have to talk about, OK, are we talking about climate change division or non-climate change division?. Today, I would like to let you all know that I am working on a new course that will explain the present: How The Economy Really Works Now. And as long as Im presenting what happened, I think I can pretty much walk the line. The 1970s effected a revolution in Lovecraft scholarship, and A new biography of the giant of both European and American history. Anything could happen at any time, and we have no ability to predict it. When the British started taxing themselves in the latter 1600s, suddenly their tax tripled after they came out of the Stuart dynasty. (1757-1834) did not fade away after the American Revolution. If he does that, he will be the greatest man in the world. He is the voice behind the award-winning podcasts "The History of Rome" and "Revolutions". Dismiss. A wildly successful podcaster and New York Times- bestselling author, he's tackled topics ranging across space and time.