list of names with apostrophes in them

I am happy with addresses, SSN (fake), credit card numbers (fake), first and last name are iffy, found a text file with first name and gender, another with surnames. I am finding that, when replying to messages where an email address is not in my address book, Outlook 365 is placing ' around email address (i.e. John and Mary's houses = the houses that belong jointly to John and Mary. Apostrophes With Two Names If you are using the names of two different people in a possessive form, you add the apostrophe and the "s" only to the second name -- "Mary and Sally's red blouses." If you use one person's name and a pronoun for the other person, add the apostrophe and "s" only to the name -- "Jimmy's and her favorite movies. . I have edited my answer to include a reference which was the first result from a simple google search of "possessive using apostrophe s". The board allows apostrophes if there's a missing letter say, for Lake O' the Woods. (2020, August 27). 6. As a result, there are places with abominable spellings, like Coxs Corner, NJ. Is the God of a monotheism necessarily omnipotent? -- then no, they're not equivalent, since the other contains two double quotes and one single quote, and the other contains three single quotes. Dogs look up to us. (Actually that second "h" is better written as "kh," like you're preparing to spit. In other cases, such as French names, it can indicate a missing vowel that drops out from elision because of the way French pronunciation and orthography work. How do I align things in the following tabular environment? I think it should be "John's, Mary's and my house" or "John and Mary's and my house" but the later implies that John and Mary are connected in some way in addition to the joint house ownership. The situation with the Irish apostrophe has been vexing me for many years, Thomas O'Leary told IrishCentral. The board estimated it removed around 250,000 apostrophes in its database, reported The Wall Street Journal. Possessive-S/apostrophe in a list, including the first and second person, http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/apostro.asp, We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup, "Can you send me Fred and your flight information?". IIRC, a lot of them are French-inspired . To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. There have been several suggestions to use "our", yet if the text refers to a group of people, all of whom own co-own houses with some others within the group*, then the above style wording would be necessary, so my question stands. If so, how close was it? Euler: A baby on his lap, a cat on his back thats how he wrote his immortal works (origin? You're using some system where ls outputs filenames with the shell's quoting rules, to make the output unambiguous. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. You will use apostrophe without the letter s for possessives of plural nouns: In forming possessive of plural noun that is already ending with the letter s, you will only need to add the apostrophe. Cecilia and Dannys old cars are in their basement. the upside down and backwards apostrophe turns out to have been a routine way . Short story taking place on a toroidal planet or moon involving flying. The other option I see is the individual constantly correcting others to include them, or correct them on pronounciation that would have been obvious if the accent marks were used in the first place. The difference between the phonemes /p/ and /b/ in Japanese. Why do many companies reject expired SSL certificates as bugs in bug bounties? There's different ways to pronounce Angel? The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? See the Bash Reference Manual for more info. Irelands most popular baby names of 2022 - by county! There are other exceptions. When adding possessive-S/apostrophe to a list, the rule is only the last person has the apostrophe if the item is shared, or everyone has one if they have the items each, e.g. Thus, when my grandparents met and married in San Francisco the wedding license records the groom as Timothy Leary. "That is Kyle's, Joey's, and Mark's boat.". Knowing the rules will help you not to have a difficult time. 3 Richard Lederer and John Shore's book, "Comma Sense" follows this rule. Fails with "error: more than one device and emulator", Saving UTF-8 texts with json.dumps as UTF-8, not as a \u escape sequence. The Board on Geographic Names did not agree. People just started naming things left and right. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. When using a search engine (e.g., Google, Bing), you will find Grammar Monster quicker if you add. If I resend my reply and remove the ' , my reply will go through . What you only need to do is to add apostrophes in plurals such as the Chambers. If you want possessive of pluralized family name, you need to pluralize the first and simply make name possessive using the apostrophe. I want to be able to find and escape the second occurrence of an apostrophe on a line IF there are more than 2 occurrences. John's and Mary's houses = the houses that belong to John and Mary as individuals, at least one each. Running shell command and capturing the output, Find and replace in file and overwrite file doesn't work, it empties the file. I, too, had thought of the Louisiana tie but being from the NE I thought there could be a different reason for the use in my area. As a general rule, use only an -s (or an -es) without an apostrophe to form the plurals of nouns including dates, acronyms, and family names: Markets were booming in the 1990s. How to write compound possessives with "or". This is important for keeping systems safe from attackers. What I am actually writing is a lot more complicated, so I am looking simply for the answer of the apostrophe issue in the hypothetical situation above. a day's pay two weeks' holiday (3) To replace letters in contractions. As a general rule, use only an -s (or an -es) without an apostrophe to form the plurals of nouns including dates, acronyms, and family names: The reason you omit apostrophes from most plurals has an interesting history. According to the board's website, it's been regularly scrubbing apostrophes since it was founded in 1890. Smiths car, Joneses home. Linear regulator thermal information missing in datasheet. Other countries have their geographic name organizations and yet still have possessive apostrophes in place names. A spoken word is not a sparrow. In Shell, I want to be able to find and escape the second occurrence of an apostrophe on a line IF there are more than 2 occurrences. One of them is using double quotes, which ls also did for you: "Chapitre 2 : L'accs au systme.md". "Chapitre 2 : L'accs au systme.md" represents the string Chapitre 2 : L'accs au systme.md, as a single shell word (since the quotes keep it together). Is (for the system) the file name : "Chapitre 2 : L'accs au systme.md" the same than a file named 'Chapitre 2 : L'accs au systme.md' if I had succeded in doing so ? Both first and surnames seem good and plenty of them. These lessons summarize the main points for each type of punctuation. "A Guide to Using Apostrophes Correctly." Don't Use an Apostrophe to Form a Plural. Are there tables of wastage rates for different fruit and veg? Does a summoned creature play immediately after being summoned by a ready action? Possibly e.g. The mountain has been called Jimmy's Peak locally, but they wanted it on the map officially. 5. It should be "Mary's and your house" (note the change of order for the owners). GNU ls with QUOTING_STYLE set to shell, or ls from coreutils >= 8.25 where that is the default. "A Guide to Using Apostrophes Correctly." Pig's treat us as equal's. The 100% Rule: Everything to the left of the apostrophe is the possessor. Apostrophes, when written on a map, could look like rock formations. The board governs naming conventions for geographic areas. Retrieved from https://www.thoughtco.com/guidelines-for-using-apostrophes-correctly-1691755. If you entered that on the shell command line, it would wait for input from another line in hope of getting the closing quote. A serial killer is typically a person who kills three or more people, with the murders taking place over more than a month and including a significant period of time between them. Also im really bad at sed :D, Find and escape names with apostrophe in shell, How Intuit democratizes AI development across teams through reusability. ThoughtCo. Use the list: Apostrophes for contractions. That has three parts: 'Chapitre 2 : L', \', and 'accs au systme.md', the quotes and backslash get removed, and the result is concatenated to the single word Chapitre 2 : L'accs au systme.md. In SQL, you can get a literal single quote that way, but in the most common shells you can't(). Reason for African American names using apostrophes? So, back to holidays needing apostrophes, starting with New Year's: New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, New Year's anything. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. Hawaii even lists apostrophes as something to avoid when choosing a new name for a place. Now we have to deal with the same careless messing with Irish names on computer programs, where our apostrophe is rejected as an unacceptable foreign element, he explained. Imagine that a boat belonged to three separate people, who each paid an equal share for the boat. The possessive which is indicated by the letter s belong to entire phrase and not just to Cecilia.). rev2023.3.3.43278. Staging Ground Beta 1 Recap, and Reviewers needed for Beta 2. In Dungeon World, is the Bard's Arcane Art subject to the same failure outcomes as other spells? The same goes for the word doesn't where the apostrophereplaces the o in not. Can you write oxidation states with negative Roman numerals? If you want possessive of pluralized family name, you need to pluralize the first and simply make name possessive using the apostrophe. Browse other questions tagged. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. More well-known names like O'connor might be explained as coming from some variant such as "Of the Connor Family" which I could understand the shortening of. What you only need to do is to add apostrophes in plurals such as the Chambers. Ive managed to remove all occurrences using SED but im drawing a blank here. E.g., John, Jacob, and Mary's boat. Another thing is that is one of possessors in compound possessive is personal pronoun. And, of course, we would like people to wear our logo to protest with pride and purpose., Matt O'Leary wearing the Keep the Apostrophe in Irish Names t-shirt, Take a look inside Dublin's most stylish townhouse, Number 31, JFK's words remind us of the true meaning of St. Patrick's Day, Irish womans poem of emigration will stir your heart. How to Use Apostrophes to Make Contractions, How to Use an Apostrophe When Two or More Nouns Possess the Same Thing, Don't Use an Apostrophe With Possessive Pronouns. The nature of simulating nature: A Q&A with IBM Quantum researcher Dr. Jamie We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. Our Keep the Apostrophe in Irish Names project is to fight back and get banks, stores, and other businesses to accommodate our humble little mark, Thomas said. Computer programmers and information security advisors aim to decrease the attack surface and strengthen the attack vectors in the systems that they develop. The naming board was established to prevent confusion among cartographers or mapmakers, said the Las Vegas Review-Journal. You must get Peter Garcia, the lawyers signature. While that may sound simple enough, many people are baffled by the little squiggle. It could also be that during the 19th century, the typography used for maps would sometimes lose the apostrophe. The apostrophereplaces the omitted letter(s). For most names with an apostrophe in them, it represents a glottal stop. In English, the apostrophe is used for two basic purposes: The marking of the omission of one or more letters, e.g. If the boat is posssessed equally by the three, you only need put the apostrophe on the last person's name. Nordquist, Richard. Inserting accents and their uses in French and Spanish. Why is there a voltage on my HDMI and coaxial cables? Find centralized, trusted content and collaborate around the technologies you use most. You signify a separate ownership in writing compounded proper nouns in possessive form.). Through their recently launched website, the OLearys aim to gather more first-hand accounts from those with apostrophes in their names and from there to develop a stronger advocacy community. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. (Factorization). What you only need to do is to add apostrophes in plurals such as the Chambers'. How to notate a grace note at the start of a bar with lilypond? You must get Peter Garcia, the lawyers signature. How do we use the possessive case (i.e., 's) with "or"? Dog's look up to us. In 2013, Thurman, New York wanted to name a mountain after a 1773 settler named James Cameron, said The Wall Street Journal. Pigs treat us as. | | " | % | \ | / | : | * | Due to their usage in popular programming languages like C, C++, PHP, C#, SQL, and Java many of these characters can trigger code execution in Information Systems if not handled correctly in the code. How to handle a hobby that makes income in US, Replacing broken pins/legs on a DIP IC package. FYI, I understand these create havoc in computerized lists unless there's a system in place for dealing with non-alphabetic characters as part of a name. "John, Mary, and my houses" would be different than "John's, Mary's, and my houses.". I could randomly insert apostrophes but wanted to be realistic. I thought they were using scrabble tiles and a hat to name babies. How to match a specific column position till the end of line? This is what OLeary learned when he consulted with Ashish Lakhiani, a computer scientist. I'd be very grateful to anyone able to clarify this, ideally with a some form of reference, as I can't find it anywhere. And although the local government can call places whatever they want, these names won't become official unless the board signs off. may be created as the sum of 3 blocks "a filename with quotes" + '", ' + "apostrophes 'and bars (\)". Five places keep a possessive apostrophe, said Mental Floss:Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts; Ike's Place, New Jersey; John E's Pond, Rhode Island; Carlos Elmer's Joshua View, Arizona; and Clark's Mountain, Oregon. What is the point of Thrower's Bandolier? When it comes to compound possessives, the placement of the apostrophe will depend whether nouns are acting together or . Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Unless your last name has an apostrophe in it, youll never know the plight of getting computer systems for everything from air travel to as recently as a decade ago voter registration to recognize your proper name. Why did Ukraine abstain from the UNHRC vote on China? I like pigs. Nervy Castle Clinton clerk reincarnated.. The Rhode Island pond is John E's because it might be construed as John S Pond. The possessive which is indicated by the letter s belong to entire phrase and not just to Cecilia.). It is also important to know about rules in using apostrophes in names so that you will not have a hard time in writing. How to Construct an Unambiguous Joint Possessive that Follows a Verb? The original Irish, Conchobhair, literally means "from [i.e. Identify those arcade games from a 1983 Brazilian music video. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? Cats look down on us. Following your example: ls Chapitre\ 2\ :\ L\'accs\ au\ systme.md Read More: The top 100 Irish last names explained, Yes, it's possible, Lakhiani told him. I'm even more unclear when the first person is involved. Is it "John or Mary's house" or "John's or Mary's house"? This works because none of the characters inside are special in double quotes (it only has spaces and the single quote to protect), but wouldn't work if the filename contained e.g. Not one surname in either data source has apostrophes. The problem is most likely that the apostrophes get quoted twice: first by the evil and deprecated in 5.3 magic quotes and then by mysql_real_escape_string().. What you can do is either disable magic quotes or run stripslashes() on your input values before feeding them to mysql_real_escape_string(). Test yourself using the 'Listen and Spell' spelling test. As you can see some names have apostrophes in them and some do not. (It means that expectations of them are different. JoAnne has a point. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. Grammarphobia explained that unless asked for its opinion, it's not involved in how streets, churches, schools, airports, or hospitals are called. I am oversimplifying the issue for the purpose of clarification, so I understand that in the example I could easily say "That boat belongs to Kyle, Joey, and Mark." The nature of simulating nature: A Q&A with IBM Quantum researcher Dr. Jamie We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. Why do small African island nations perform better than African continental nations, considering democracy and human development? How to handle a hobby that makes income in US. Theyre the founders of an advocacy group called Keep the Apostrophe in Irish Names. Styling contours by colour and by line thickness in QGIS. I have to disagree, Im a 56 year old white female and I have an apostrophe in my name. how should I write the file name in my gvim command to get the exact file name 'Chapitre 2 : L'accs au systme.md' I would like to read in the outpout of a ls command ? When adding possessive-S/apostrophe to a list, the rule is only the last person has the apostrophe if the item is shared, or everyone has one if they have the items each, e.g. February 17: Misplaced Apostrophes . How and When to Use French Possessive Pronouns, Check Your Knowledge: Punctuation Practice, Ph.D., Rhetoric and English, University of Georgia, M.A., Modern English and American Literature, University of Leicester, B.A., English, State University of New York. https://www.thoughtco.com/guidelines-for-using-apostrophes-correctly-1691755 (accessed March 4, 2023). How to tell which packages are held back due to phased updates. With a little bit more work on code level checks this character can be allowed for use. There are three big if's. Hawaii has two i's. Apostrophes are not used: (1) To show normal plurals. Beware! Generally, though, most states and localities follow the board's guidelines. Some people with apostrophes in their names run into trouble at the airport when the name on their passport doesn't match the name on their ticket. The name Jimmy's Peak does not appear on maps; instead, it's Bald Mountain. Though. David Crystal,in his book, "By Hook or by Crook"explains: To avoid confusion, you may occasionally need to use apostrophes to indicate the plural forms of certain letters and expressions that aren't commonly found in the plural for example: Mind your p's and q's. How can I check before my flight that the cloud separation requirements in VFR flight rules are met? You gave the shell two back-to-back single-quoted strings, which just get concatenated. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. For example: Smiths' car, Joneses' home. Browse other questions tagged, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site. The rule has frustrated some people. Two points: First, don't use a name that would otherwise require an apostrophe if you can avoid it. ThoughtCo, Aug. 27, 2020, thoughtco.com/guidelines-for-using-apostrophes-correctly-1691755. You can include diacrtical marks in a couple of different ways in most computer programs these days. In 1995, the board kept the apostrophe for Carlos Elmer's Joshua View since three names would confuse people, plus Joshua referred to trees anyway. They want places to belong to everyone, and an apostrophe connotes ownership of something that should be public. gvim 'Chapitre 2 : L''accs au systme.md' created the file 'Chapitre 2 : Laccs au systme.md' instead, with no apostrophe at all. While apostrophes are found in a variety of names, including Italian, African and French, perhaps some of the most common names with apostrophes are Irish surnames - the entire category of. How can I declare and use Boolean variables in a shell script? By clicking Post Your Answer, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy.