jyp blackface performance

I sorta discovered that when jyp released his MV still alive. 2023 Variety Media, LLC. It would be nice if there was someone to say, We should talk about this. Perhaps the Academy could sponsor a book club or something. Its the birth of the neo-conservative and the Reagan presidency. Disclaimer: I'm not hating in JYP in anyway I'm just expressing my opinion towards JYP about how he isn't really the best company or an idol. You really saw it hugely right before and right after Barack Obamas election. You got your 2AMs, 2PMs, JYJs, your TVXQs/DBSKs. Weve got hundreds of years of Black characters in performance being a white property. The onus cant be on people of color to carry this history forward. The Youtube video of the show is now unavailable, and according to Yonhap News SBS issued an apology for any "inconvenience" to its viewers. However when you see the way people talk about him it becomes clear that people arent mad or making fun of him bc of these legitimate reasons. Yeah I believe it was Jay Park who once said JYP would hit trainees that didnt dance well enough since 2PM was supposed to be a dance group. MBC took a real hit when they showcased black face on their Lunar New Year 'Family Karaoke' special. Many people do one month fasts for religious reasons, eating nothing at all and only drinking water. JYP was very involved when forming Wonder Girls, and they were sexualized at a young age. The employee stated: "A company with poor and unstable foundation. He reminds me of Lou Pearlman who was the Backstreet Boys and *NSYNCs manager back in the day. You guys are simping for him as if he feeds you bread. Self care and ideas to help you live a healthier, happier life. Vereen first danced and sang Waiting for the Robert E. Lee before a cheering GOP audience, along with the president and first lady Nancy Reagan. Add that to the history of JYPE's treatment of groups and JYPs own history, you get a somewhat unsavory image. He does over sexualize them. ambulance tailgate conversion Weve moved away from that pretty hard, to the benefit of society. JYP did the right things, he treat the black like normal people who can sing, dance, as part of the culture. Ageism is rampant in kpop communities. This laughter-inducing negrito created a vehicle for Rivero's political critiques of US imperialism and humanitarianism. Corp ALL RIGHTS RESERVED the way he sexualized them (trainees ) some people say it's his character, no. JYP gives me weird vibes like fr. Please enable JavaScript to experience Vimeo in all of its glory. But also I dont understand if its possible. Host virtual events and webinars to increase engagement and generate leads. Shouldn't the dancer being put on make up in black? Actor Lee Seo Won compares 'Music Bank' to coffee in 'Zenith Global x View'. On a picnic with gasppepe eating nugget peepo. White men would darken their faces to create caricatures of black people, including large mouths, lips and eyes, woolly hair and coal-black skin. from I dont get it. In short, says academic and author Ayanna Thompson, the continued prevalence of Blackface both in content and old images of prominent figures is not so easily explained away by heartfelt apologies and warning labels on classic movies. Takingoffense to the photo, many commented on his Instagramcalling the postracist and insensitive. He was making a recommendation so she wouldnt have to face backlash if she got into the team. that's sorta why there were people on the "still Alive" video with random fros, because the orignial proformances in the 90s did contain blackface. Chicago Tribune . what in the world. didn't even know this existed. I do ask, are Black and brown people not as innocent because we dont presume that this is a performance mode that is open to us? Hernandez-Reguant notes that Carlucho has a history of blackface performance. All of this happened in the 21st century. gosh racist really? For example, when youre Megyn Kelly defending Luann de Lesseps doing Blackface as Diana Ross in 2018 saying, But who doesnt want to be Diana Ross for a day? White innocence is, I love Black people, I love Black culture. This was also Governor Ralph Northam, when he performed as Michael Jackson [in 1984]. ', Empire State Building to turn TWICE's official colors on March 10, BTS members V and Jungkook spotted hanging out together, IVE's Leeseo officially becomes a high school student, #Jin's Instagram update from the military with #Jhope and #Jimin becomes a hot topic in South Korea, BTS wins 'Favorite Music Group' at the 'Kids' Choice Awards' for fourth consecutive year, Enlisted DAY6 member Wonpil takes to Instagram for first time in nearly eight months, Cherry Bullet's Haeyoon releases emotional cover of Kwon Jin Ah's 'Stupid Love', Netizens react coldly to Lee Soo Man's letter dedicated to the SM Entertainment family and fans, Bang Si Hyuk reveals sadness over "a good company like SM having such a poor governance structure" and sheds light on acquisition of SM: "Not Monopolization", The court sides with Lee Soo Man and bans SM from issuing new shares and convertible bonds to Kakao, Bang Si Hyuk personally addresses concerns of a 'monopoly' in the K-Pop industry in an interview with CNN. On how JYP looked down on Jay B's own songs and skills and also how the members viewed JYP. What year this happened would have bearing on whether I think him racist. Weve killed Blackface several times in our history, but it keeps coming back to life because of this unwillingness to have it be our collective history. I think that was such a wasted opportunity to bring back that "twice" group shout. The image generated intense pressure for Northam to resign and offered the latest example of a prominent white person facing harsh criticism for wearing blackface. JYP learned a lot in the US like u said (but it was like10 year afteryour video) and i'm sure he would never do that again in today context. In 2010, Mexican media conglomerate Televisa drew criticism for hiring actors in blackface for a popular morning program during the World Cup. Also after finding out about the whole blackface thing he did and his treatment of got7, he just dont sit right with me, 1- This was straight up wrong. In fact, the Jim Crow laws that enforced racial segregation in the South took their name from a character played by blackface performer Thomas Dartmouth Rice. 2023 Vimeo.com, Inc. All rights reserved. Power your marketing strategy with perfectly branded videos to drive better ROI. Reporting on what you care about. What is it that white people think when theyre putting on Halloween costumes, doing special projects, that Black makeup is part of what they should do? The former "Dancing With the Stars" pro took to social media to express her regret for a 2013 Halloween costume where she used. This is what makes me unsure of this comment, 2- This one is wrong. They could all come to the collective decision that Blackface is a public harm and we can play a role in stopping it. People are not just angry with the character's blackface they have also called out the entire outfit. The Cosby Show was huge and there was a feeling of, Were so over all the problems. This was also when neo-cons had started celebrating that they embraced a colorblind approach to the world which was, We no longer have to see, talk or think about race because were all equal. Then you see this flare up of Blackface. Also, I'm referring to this article :http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.ae/2017/01/hollywood-usher-spotted-wearing-rising.html. SNL was in deep water for imitating the 'Dream Girls' for with of their skits while wearing blackface and having tans. In 2012, when my son was in the third grade, he had to do a research project where the students had to pick a famous person from history and present as that person. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. A Pink Bomi Recently, A Pink's Bomi was under fire for imitating a Korean cartoon character named Michol from a Korean children's television. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. allkpop is a registered trademark of 6Theory Media, LLC. While fans asked for JYP Entertainment, the stylists, or Bang Chan . I really dont like artists/idols who promote self love (not just itzy but any artist in general) when they clearly try to fit the beauty standards. This was obviously a collective decision. I think the real "racist" people is the one who see black people is different from others. smh. isn't he the one that's supposed to be so aware of American culture or black history or whatever since he loves it so much? This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. No jyp himself has over sexualized minors too. He's lucky this happened when no one gave a single fuck about K-Pop. Ser possvel que vamos precisar mandar um caminho pra frente da jyp igual fizeram com o da Tzuyu? In fact, the Jim Crow laws that enforced racial segregation in the South took their name from a character played by blackface performer Thomas Dartmouth Rice. After seeing the comments, Jackson personally made several apologies to fans, writing in another post [Squirtle post],Im really really sorry if I offended anybody. Inspire employees with compelling live and on-demand video experiences. Just leave your opinions and don't start petty arguments. Blackface performers, he said, have stolen from us a complexion denied to them by nature to make money and pander to the corrupt taste of their white fellow-citizens.. The central role blackface performance played in student life became even clearer in 1888 when students began publishing a yearbook. By Aisha Harris Aisha Harris is a culture writer and the co-host of the NPR podcast "Pop Culture Happy Hour.". edit: 7. Last summer, comedians and entertainers seemed to reach some resolve around the issue following the murder of George Floyd, with power players like Tina Fey and Jimmy Kimmel decrying past works and disappearing images of Blackface from their libraries. Something for everyone interested in hair, makeup, style, and body positivity. They can narrow it down by looking at their skills Just a thought. Associated Press writers Russell Contreras in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Terry Tang in Phoenix contributed to this report. So many perfectly talented groups that could make some great music, but are just forgotten. The bowling clip was hilarious. So many have done it it's hard to keep up with. http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.ae/2017/01/hollywood-usher-spotted-wearing-rising.html. LaJete Stan Joined Jun 16, 2019 Posts 220 Reaction score 487 Points 4,120 Location The Jetty Plus Coins 25,245 Jul 18, 2019 #4 Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. A recent blackface incident at a Miami preschool underscores the persistence of anti-Blackness in South Florida's Latin communities, according to a professor who studies Cuba and the African diaspora at Florida International University. Whoops, got my boy groups mixed up. You really saw it hugely right before and right after Barack Obamas election. A Miami daycare is facing backlash after they put toddlers in blackface for Black History Month. Id say a few idols like hwasa, jessi (hers is borderline black fishing but thats another story) cant think of anymore but yhhh they really exude confidence in themselves and I hope they dont change. I sorta discovered that when jyp released his MV still alive. Anyway i respect your opinion i just wanted to share why i found your post a bit too much to call JYP racist because of a performance 20 years ago in another country based on today standard. This was obviously a collective decision. the top comments in that article were actually excusing him? I do ask, are Black and brown people not as innocent because we dont presume that this is a performance mode that is open to us? [Blackface] never seems to die as a collegiate, fraternity activity, which follows on decades of local performances of various kinds, Kiwanis Clubs and Rotary Clubs, which follows on the very. White men would darken their faces to create caricatures of black people, including large mouths, lips and eyes, woolly hair and coal-black skin. He doesnt sexualize idols (or trainees as Ive seen other people point out), at least that Im aware of. I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. ), I was just going to edit this n yes the black face performance. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. ", What the actual fuck SBS & People Looking For A Laugh!?!?! Yesterday, South Korean broadcaster SBS's show, The show ends with the her dancing to "Circle of Life" from. However I totally agree with the hypocrite things hes doing. There were three [white] 8-year-olds in Blackface, performing their heroes Martin Luther King, Serena Williams and Arthur Ashe. My son was William Shakespeare, and my little brown son was not in white face. And people are saying that it's offensive to multiple ethnicities. We hold major institutions accountable and expose wrongdoing. Love you guys so much and thank you so much for letting me know., He continued to apologize before logging off,Good night!!! Whose idea was that, to fully inhabit your hero, you had to employ racial prosthetics? Because thats a hard climb. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. It may not display this or other websites correctly. They recognized that that was a harm, something actively harming the public because it was creating perceptions of smoking as either sexy or something you do when you need self care. Thompson recently discussed her new book with Variety, on a topic she finds increasingly relevant for creators and executives in show business who may lack deeper context around this issue. Ralph Northams political career. Predictable official . Ive seen people saying that he was a creep for making girls dance sexy songs in Nizi project but 1) The girls choose the songs 2) It doesnt make sense, unless you consider Dalla Dalla and Likey sexy and 3) If he was smiling it was to give positive feedback so the girls wouldnt loose confidence, like with other trainees where he had a straight face and they knew they were doing something wrong, To conclude, I agree JYP sucks, more the individual than the company that is, but he doesnt suck as much as people make him out to be, The first one is totally possible. All companies are same and all idols at least heard once that they need to lose weight. I dont think people in the industry are reading anything other than what they create. Blackface minstrelsy is considered by some to be the first uniquely American form of entertainment. And then, of course, there's Robert Downey Jr.'s performance as Kirk Lazarus, a self-obsessed, Oscar-winning white Australian actor, who undergoes surgery to have his skin darkened to play the role of a Black sergeant. The once famous comedian is now making headlines for all the wrong reasons after donning blackface on SBS' 'Legend Match.' Obsessed with travel? In 1848, after watching a blackface act, abolitionist Fredrick Douglass called the performers the filthy scum of white society in The North Star newspaper. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. This behavior https://t.co/7H5ZRGcWbJ, SBS what the actual fuck?! i'm tired of people digging this 20y old performance and doing the anachronism of judging by today standard of their country just reiterating what i said the last time: Blackface in Korea in the 90s was a non issue and not perceived as offensive but like just a cosplay in the same way Katy Perry cosplaying a gaisha or Beyonce cosplaying indians (and so on and so on). Theyre all interested in pushing the boundaries of comedy and thinking about whats taboo. #jacksonwang #jyp #got7 #igot7." Many fans and followers reacted negatively to the post, expressing their disappointment at his choice to repost the fan-edited photo on his Instagram. if you think an opinion is popular that a lot of people will agree with then downvote it. He said his act Jump, Jim Crow (or Jumping Jim Crow) was inspired by a slave he saw. I'm pretty sure many of us are not the same as who we were 10 years ago, because we all change. This was likely done out of pure ignorance rather than him trying to make a joke out of black people. Obviously none of these cases prove that they are racist. Not that it matters or makes anything ok but I would like to point out that jyp has always been obsessed with black culture especially when it comes to music. we should not generalize that. A dance performance opening China's biggest Lunar New Year gala show has sparked debate and criticism online for putting blackface onstage once again. thank you for sharing, Fan of roughly 10 years here. Since the middle ages, when there have been devilish characters in religious plays, and then non-religious works in Shakespeares time where they had tons of Africans and Moors and Turks all performed with racial prosthetics. today people rationalize that it was "just for fun" with no harm behind, butmaybe in 20 years it will be differentand people will say that Wendy is trash/racist based on that. JavaScript is disabled. If so it would be the GP putting down girl groups for their weight, and then Itzy are basically telling them to shut up, 6- I have seen this opinion a lot. he also sexualizes young idols- but he's still far from YG. Hes done some very questionable stuff like the r Kelly thing, doing performances with backup dancers in blackface, and over sexualizing minors (this one is the company but I mean his name is attached for a reason). You'll be slapped in the face buy objectification. This is disgusting!!!! New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. And sorry for the misunderstanding. I forgot about that blackface thing. You know how in the beginning of alcohol free there's that "jyp" whisper? This idea that you can celebrate Black culture, Black heroes, identities by putting on Black makeup. Its the birth of the neo-conservative and the Reagan presidency. One of the more disastrous critiques of blackface was from black actor Ben Vereen at President Ronald Reagans inauguration. this is so horrible wtf. IKR, anybody that's been a kpop fan already knew about this shit. New Book 'Blackface' Examines Hollywood's Painful, Enduring Ties to Racist Performances. Maybe. In some cases, historical means the minstrels of 19th century theater, silent films, or the more recent history of satire like Robert Downey Jr.s 2008 film Tropic Thunder, which has aged horribly in a Hollywood landscape that demands sensitive and authentic portrayals, regardless of genre. JIHYO DIDN'T LOOK THAT BAD. And I take it seriously that this is our shared American history. This was something that had been taboo, and now theyre like, We want to see if we can do it! Since its clear that Im not racist, I can do it!. we should not generalize that. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. "To conclude, I agree JYP sucks, more the individual than the company that is, but he doesnt suck as much as people make him out to be", agree so much holy shit. All I've ever known is his general comments towards female idols or the songs he writes for them, but like aside from that this is probably the worst thing he's ever done. I hope this book is the last book about this. The performance during state broadcaster. Yeah you can kind of tell who dislikes him because of something he has done, and the ones who hate him because its in right now, JYP was very involved when forming Wonder Girls, and they were sexualized at a young age. Me, Britain's $4 Billion Boss: ITV Chief Carolyn McCall Bets It All on Talent, 2023 Music Festivals: How to Buy Tickets to Coachella, Governors Ball, Lollapalooza and More. im not a company stan by any means, but jyp, in my opinion, is the last company to come after. Jihyo did the choreo perfectly its probably just and excuse to make her lose weight. i also want to commend them on how theyre treating idols that struggle with mental health - both mina and jisung were pretty much allowed to pick and choose which activities they feel comfortable taking part in, while some other companies would push them to their limit. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Restored behavior treats living behavior as strips of film that are revised and reworked. By Matt Donnelly. So yeah. Youtube. Not explicitly in their ideological thinking, but a feeling of Im post-racial, I cant be a racist. So all of these things I have studied and noticed is that all of those people are students of comedy. The onus cant be on people of color to carry this history forward. A place to ask your K-Pop questions. Ramn Rivero was an immensely popular blackface performer in mid-twentieth-century Puerto Rico known for his character-turned-persona, Diplo. I also found this thread from 2 years ago on this same subreddit that has more comprehensive answers. Dozens of other whites, including college fraternities and sororities, public officials and law enforcement officers, have also been criticized for blackface incidents. But ABC omitted the second part of Vereens performance when airing it, showing only the minstrelsy segment. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. It is you who has problem, you deny their natural beauty. Has he done something I cant think of or something?