ithaca model 37 slam fire years

More than one million were produced over its 60-year life-span between 1897 and 1957. MADE IN ITHACA NEW YORK BLUE AND METAL EXCELLENT WOOD HAS JUST A FEW LIGHT HANDLING MARKS ON BUTT STOCK MECHANICS PERFECT. This pump-action, bottom-ejecting shotgun is available in a number of configurations. There are several different types of semi-auto actions, but all have a more complicated operating system that can be more troublesome than a pump. This, Excellent, light finish wear, few small scratches. Remington's Nylon 66 semi-automatic .22 LR rifles have grown from 1950s bargain buys to 21st century collectors darlings. Make: Ithaca. Free Shipping, No Credit Card Fees. Thus, holding the trigger down allowed the gun to fire the instant a new round is cycled into the chamber without requiring the trigger to be released; this feature was called "slam-fire". "The Ithaca Model 37 Defense Gun Eight Shot 3-inch 12 Gauge is the high-capacity 20-inch-barrel model, able to hold seven shells in the magazine plus one in the chamber. Chamber marked 2 3/4", choke marked improved cylinder, 14" LOP. 12 gauge. May 16, 2012, 09:43 PM . it is clear that this exceptional example has spent the last nearly 65 yrs in a closet. In the case of the Ithaca Model 37 shotgun, if you hold the trigger down while you continue to rack the weapon, it will fire without you having to let go of the trigger. The 28-gauge guns are built on a smaller receiver, which gives the model the easy handling and trim appearance one would expect for the gauge. Very nice Quality. Answer (1 of 9): Not sure I ever saw a true "Slam fire" or shotgun that fires from an open bolt. It's a pump-action shotgun that features a unique "slam-fire" capability. 2 3/4 inch with a fixed modified choke. In the 1960s, changes began to occur at the company. . Lay-, Metal surfaces rate near excellent, light handling marks to wood. Good. The bore is in excellent condition. Seller: Cabelas La Vista. .Serial Number: 371659823. strong>ITHACA MODEL 37 DEERSLAYER 12GA BARREL 20 iNCH SMOOTH BORE. Used. 2018. Stupidly I didn't get the serial number. His response was that the US army viewed the practice as poor use of ammunition, creating excess wear and poor fire control. Out of production since 1975, the Model 37 is now back and every bit as mean-looking and effective as it was in the jungles of Vietnam, where it was effective to 75+ yards with 000, 00, and #4 . After loading the shells into the magazine and pressing the slide release located in the forward part of the trigger guard, rack the slide and push it forward, loading the chamber. When the face of the bolt hits the head of the chamber, unless there is a spring around the pin to retard its movement, inertia causes the firing pin to continue forward until it is stopped on the primer of the round. Ithaca Model 37 Slam fire * 12 Ga * 2 3/4 chamber * Barrel length 26" * Front bead sight * No interstate sales tax This Ithaca is in used condition, The finish is worn is a few places. nice wood. 2 3/4 chamber ,near new overall cond.s/n 3715529xx.click on pi. However, plans changed when Ithaca became aware of a patent obtained by designer John Pedersen for an improved version of the Remington Model 17, which was due to expire in 1936. JavaScript is disabled. The standard, introduced in around 1975 until current and the fire interrupter introduced around 1976 predominantly for LE use. If you scroll down below the video, I will place a description of the shotgun showcased. Many sporting arms ceased production entirely during the same period. The company changed hands again in the mid 90s, which changed the name of the pump gun back to the Model 37, and moved Ithaca Gun Co. LLC to Upper Sandusky, Ohio, where it remains today, turning out high quality Model 37s, 1911s and several variants of a high-grade rifle. 1942 per the page above. ISSUE LAPD Commemorative Model LAPD Model 37 LAPD Model 87 LAPD Model 87 Bicentennial Model Centennial Models Presentation Model Trade Model Ducks Unlimited Models Trade Model* Auction Model Americana Model Charles Daly Model Stakeout DU Guide Gun for Canadian chapters DU Guide Gun for U. S. chapters Genoa Centennial Commemorative King Ferry . WANT TO, ITHACA MODEL 37 DEER SLAYER 12GA SMOOTH BORE RIFLE SIGHTS BARREL LENGTH 26" EXCELLENT BLUE AND WOOD MECHANICS PERFECT. By signing up you agree to Guns.com's What year or serial # range did the mod 37 stop being able to slam fire? WOOD AND METAL EXCELLENT. I think the other page got jumbled at that point because of the four asterisk situation described at the bottom of the page. A slightly used but still functional Ithaca Model 37 DS Police Special provides a great afternoon of fun down at Demolition Ranch. K-Mart Classics: Remingtons Nylon Rimfires Engineered To Last. There is significant collector interest in some of the above models, especially the high-grade presentation and military-marked tactical guns. Get the latest news and reviews from Gundigest.com. I have done it and it is fun but I have never found it of any real use. Ithaca changed back to calling these Model 37's after a relatively short time marketing the '87s. The new value of an ITHACA 37 shotgun has risen $138.11 dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $1,117.44 . Some shooters prefer the manually-operated pump because they want to be more in control of the guns operation. They may not truly trust a semi-auto and are comforted by the simplicity of a pump. The Winchester 1897 and Ithaca 37 actions are way more complicated and expensive to manufacture than the 870 and 500. Free Shipping, No Credit Card Fees. Well known for its line of high-quality side-by-side doubles, the company saw a bright future for the less expensive pump models. Otherwise, the Model 37 operates in much the same way as other pump-action shotguns; with the exception that, unlike most pump-action (and semi-automatic) long arms - which usually eject expended shells to one side, usually the right - the Model 37 ejects them downward, through the aforementioned loading/ejection port. I have one made in 1975 that is a 20ga and another made in 1977 coming in 12 ga. . $375 USD. Gold bead front sight. The Model 37 is a manually operated, slide- or pump-action shotgun fed from a tubular magazine located beneath the barrel. Theyre very smooth, dependable, and durable firearms, Ithaca 37 Featherlight 16 gauge 2 3/4" shells 28" barrel shotgun made in 1970. I'll strongly reccomend against ,"slam firing" the 40 year old used shotgun of uncertain history. What you want it do do, fire when the action is closed and the trigger is depressed, will only happen if the gun is old enough to not have a disconnector. Serial Number: 371493073. Smith & Wesson Model 586: Reviewing A .357 Revolver With Class. Thanks B, just looked up my dad's, which was originally grandpa's, and it's a 1951 version. How can I tell if an Ithaca Model 37 is a slam fire model? However, law enforcement agencies could order new guns with the slam fire if desired.The Ithaca 37 (or Model 37) is a pump-action shotgun made in large numbers for the civilian, military, and police markets. Save my name and email to use for future comments. 25 Improved Cylinder vent rib barrel. Special serial number blocks were discontinued during 1953 for the models 37S and 37T. Weights are listed at 7.6 pounds for the 12 gauge, 7.4 pounds for the 16, 6.8 pounds for the 20, and 6.1 pounds for the 28 gauge. Evolution Of The Model 37 The Model 37 operates in much the same way as other pump-action shotguns. This has made the Ithaca popular with left-handed users, who may fear hot shells being thrown at them by other guns. still not convinced slam fire was military driven. The DS Police Special that Matt has came factory standard with rifle sights on a 18.5-inch barrel and a park finish. Chamber marked 2 3/4", choke marked improved cylinder, and 13 1/2" LOP. An LGS has a 37 for $250. The Ithaca 37 (or Model 37) is a pump-action shotgun made in large numbers for the civilian, military, and police markets. You have entered an incorrect email address! 12 Ga, ITHACA MODEL 37 FEATHERLIGHT PUMP 12 GAUGE 3 MAGNUM CAMO SHOTGUN. It's a featherlight model with the dog and such engravings. Since the loading port for the magazine was at the bottom of the receiver and the spent shells ejected from the same location, the design appealed to both right- and left-handed shooters. Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests. Editor's Note: This Collector's Corner column is an excerpt from the November 2017 issue of Gun Digest the Magazine. Outdoor Hub, LLC (d/b/a Carbon Media Group), 30800 Telegraph Rd, Suite 1921, Bingham Farms, MI 48025 USA. please call text or mess, Ithaca Model 37 12ga. Buyers beware : My son bought a brand new, in the box, model 37 Featherlight 16 ga. pump from an Ithaca dealer in or around 2012-13. In 1937, it was released as the Ithaca 37. There was time to have gun designer Harry Howland make some changes to the firing pin and ejector mechanism and, by 1937, Ithaca was ready to introduce the Model 37 to the shooting world. GOOD WOOD, EXCELLENT BORE. Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests. Classic Browning Light Twelve Auto-5 Review: Busting Clays With the Old Humpback Shotgun. A pump action shotgun made for civilian, law enforcement and military use. ITHACA MODEL 8700 12GA DEERSLAYER RIFLED BORE 3 " MAG 12GA, ITHACA MODEL 37 DEERSLAYER 12GA 26" BARREL SMOOTH BORE, Ithaca 37 Ultra Featherlight Slide Shotgun 20ga, Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 20ga 26 Pump Shotgun Recent Production Exc. mod choked. Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 16ga.,28" Modified,Take down,Made in 1969,Excellent Condition. I also have a Remington Model 17, which we know to be the precursor of the Model 37. This shotgun is in great shape and shoots very nice. The person I talked to said this is the first I have ever heard of any problems with this shotgun. With all of the moving parts needed to make a 97 work properly, I can't imagine it was an accident. VENT RIB. 14 &r, Guns Listing ID: 618502This 1940 Ithaca deluxe model 37 16 gauge is in very good condition as you can see from the listing photos with some wear and tear from little use over the past 80 years. The "slamfiring" is done with a second sear in the trigger group. Make: Ithaca. He sent it back a second time and got it back again without any explanation and very little improvement. In my safe I still have my 20-gauge Model 37 from 1960, which was my first shotgun and is still my favorite. As a final note (perhaps!) Unique serial number sequences were established for special edition and commemorative Model 37 and Model 87 guns. Thanks berettaracer! He is one of the best Model 37 "mechanics" in the world. 8shot 20" New in bx, Ithaca 37 Featherweight Slide Shotgun 16ga, ITHACA 37, DELUXE DEERSLAYER, SMOOTH BORE, 12 GA. WITH BSA SCOPE, ITHACA MODEL 37 16GA PLAIN BARREL 28" CHOKE FULL BRASS BEAD, Ithica Model 37 Trap ventilated Rib 12 Gauge, Smith & Wesson ~ Model 37 Airweight ~ .38 Special, ITHACA MODEL 37 DEERSLAYER 12GA BARREL 20 iNCH SMOOTH BORE, Ithaca Model 37 Classic Featherlight 28 Gauge. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Loading the Ithaca 37 involves inserting shotshells of the proper gauge through the loading/ejection port in the bottom of the receiver and pushing them forward into the magazine until retained by the shell stop. I understand they eventually "fixed" the slam fire feature and I'm wondering if there's anyway to tell. Ithaca triggers. PUMP SHOTGUN, CIRCA 1981. Fawcett, Bill. Comes with original box. It jammed from the first day he used it. The buttstock is uncheckered walnut, finished off with a nicely ground, black Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad. The Model 37 Featherlight has commonly been seen in the hands of farmers and hunters in the midwestern United States. In the action of a typical semi-automatic firearm, the energy of a fired round forces the bolt and bolt carrier rearward, ejecting the empty case. Synthetic stock and slide forearm. Free Shipping, No Credit Card Fees. Description. He also hangs out in the I love my Ithaca section of shotgunworld as lecky56 He had patented a pump shotgun in 1915 that was somewhat radical because its ejection and loading port was located beneath the receiver. Only a few modest marks of, #DU37040XXXX 30" VENT RIB FULL CHOKE 2 3/4" CHAMBER SINGLE TRIGGER PISTOL GRIP EXCELLENT CONDITION WITH SOME LIGHT HANDLING FACTORY PAD 7LBS 0 OZ 13 7/8" LOP, **Price Reduced** Ithaca model 37 featherweight 12 gauge in great condition. The Winchester Model 12 had become very popular and was setting the standard for pump-action shotguns. My Ithacas will slam fire as well. Ithaca once again pushed back its plans for a pump gun. And its a safety concern with some shooters. The Remington Model 17 has a disconnect system much like what semi-autos have. Hope no one was in the room above him. I've only done this on target loads. There is no record I know that explains the rationale behind it. The recoil-operated autos are cleaner but some, especially the older long-recoil designs, have more of a kick than either the gas guns or pumps. 16 Gauge, Guns Listing ID: 741035The Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight Deerslayer is a vintage pump action shotgun that was designed off a John Browning patent. Several big-city police departments, including New York City and Los Angeles, issued the 12-gauge, 20-inch barrel Military & Police Model to patrol units for many years. Seems that there's a lot of Ithaca 37 fans on here so I thought I'd make a post with the serial numbers. While the slam-fire is cool it is hard on the gun. It features bottom ejection pump action, engraved receiver, 4 round magazine tube, plain barrel with modified c, Ithaca model 37 20 gauge Featherweight . Production paused in 2005 when Ithaca once again changed hands. Solid gun. WANT TO PURCHASE CALL SHOP 71`6-941-3946, SALE PENDING SALE PENDING Like new condition 26 in. Stay in the know. This is the aluminum receiver model with the checkered English straight Grip Stock, Guns Listing ID: 697407Ithaca model 37 Featherlight12 ga pump action.30\" plain barrel full chokesuper nice woodnice overall condition, Another great item from Gainesville Pawn! 3% Credit Card Processing Fee will apply. Nobody builds on model 12s because parts are getting scarce and you need to really understand them when tweaking them. with seldom seen 28 in. Firearms dont get much more iconic than John Moses Brownings legendary Auto-5 semi-auto shotgun, affectionately called the Humpback for its distinctive drop at the rear of the receiver. Comb and length dimensions differ for the various models, and if specific measurements are needed, the Ithaca Custom Shop will provide. I have two that will not fire with the trigger held back --- 37147xxxx and 37153xxxxx both guns have a "disconnector". When the action go's into lockup the slide release moves to lock the slide holding the acton closed. Decellerat, HERE IS AN ITHICA MODEL 37-S IN 12GA WITH A 30IN BARRELL OVERALL CONDITION IS GOOD BARRELL HAS NICE SHINY BORE NO PITTING ALSO HAVE ITHICA 20GA FEATHERLIGHT MODEL 37 IF INTERESTED, Metal surfaces rate near excellent, handling marks to wood. All rights reserved, copyrighted, no material within this document may be copied or distributed in any way without the express written permission of the author, Walter Claude Snyder. More than 300,000 of the .45-caliber guns were made by Ithaca during the war. With the depression dragging on and another war looming on the horizon, it was possibly the worst time to introduce a sporting arm. The New York City Police Department used 2 versions of the Model 37: one with a 13" barrel with forend hand-strap for its Emergency Service Unit and one with an 18" barrel for its Highway Patrol and solo patrol officers of designated low-crime precincts through a short-lived program spanning from the late 1970s to early 1980s. Very good plus overall condition, a few light abrasions. Model: 37 Featherlight. Mine is a 12g. That obviously hasnt happened, and today, some 120 years after the first successful slide-action went on the market, the good old pump still plays a big role in the shotgun sports. John Browning had his reasons. In semi- or fully automatic firearms this can potentially cause the firearm to fire continuously until the magazine has been emptied. In the case of the Ithaca Model 37 shotgun, if you hold the trigger down while you continue to rack the weapon, it will fire without you having to let go of the trigger. The slide release is pressed and the slide retracted completely then pushed forward. ENDED - $675.00. 12 GA PUMP ACTION 3 ROUNDS 19 BARREL. It was made in several variations, including a riot-gun model with a 20-inch barrel that became popular with many law enforcement agencies. They used the Remington Model 17 as their model and made modificationssuch as simplifying and cost-saving alterations of the firing pin and ejection mechanism, the work of Ithaca designer Harry Howland in 1931[2]while waiting for related patents to expire. With a 2 3/4 in chamber it has a fixed Cyl. Any of these that came to the factory for service were converted back to the original shell stops at no charge. That may make a difference to a buyer who wants differing choke selections for these fine pump guns. The one I have was made in 1928. The Nylon 66, a relatively inexpensive rimfire with faux woodgrain, was the first successful synthetic-stock firearm. barrel is modi, Excellent condition, light wear and handling marks. The design is derived from the JMB designed Remington model 17. The Dawn Of The Pump That first successful pump-gun was the Winchester Model 1897, which was an improved variant of the Model 1893. Need Help?service@guns.comCall (866)582-4867, PO Box 1131 13800 Nicollet Blvd Burnsville, MN 55337 2023Guns.com. All Rights Reserved, Slam fire memories with the Ithaca M37 pumpgun (VIDEO). ITHACA MODEL 37 FEATHERLIGHT PUMP 12 GAUGE 3 MAGNUM CAMO SHOTGUN. Chambered in 12 and later 20 ga, the 37 had a few interesting facets of its design that made it somewhat unique. During World War II, the government contracted with Ithaca to produced 1911A1 pistols, and at one time the company was making more than 2,000 pistols per day. A total of 22,000 of these Model 37 shotguns was delivered to the Saigon government between Nov. 14, 1962 and Jan. 31, 1963. Even without a shell holder, the gun offers 7+1 rounds of awesome power. 2nd Attempt here, first was wiped out during submission? Interesting that I have one whose number, 37135XXXX, is not on the list. Much of the data presented for the Model 37 guns came from microfilm copies of Ithaca shipping records on file at the National Tracing Offices of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and from microfiche copies of invoices from the 1980 era that were found at the Ithaca factory. One was the slab sided, bottom ejecting receiver. Barrel has some discoloration. Checkered walnut stock and beavertail forend. But not to abuse it in anyway either. The Model 37 has the fewest parts of any pump shotgun, promoting reliability and creating a smooth, light, positive action. Learn how your comment data is processed. This page also has other serial numbers for guns made by Ithaca, LeFever, and some others. More than two million Model 37s have been produced over its 80-year history.