is it safe to stay in downtown atlanta

Read on to learn about Atlantas safety, including insightful tips to avoid danger during your stay. Its just everywhere. Nearby Plaza Theater (1049 Ponce De Leon Avenue NE) is the oldest operating movie theater in Atlanta (1939). #29 Best Value of 287 places to stay in Atlanta. When you first see the statistics, they might seem pretty overwhelming, but you soon realize that there are roughly 500,000 people who reside within the citys borders, so everything is relative. It's not like the clock strikes 5:00 p.m. and everyone is gone 15 minutes later. You'd enjoy midtown or Decatur more. There are a lot of common-sense practices that you should follow to keep safe in Atlanta. They all have a lot more crime than anywhere else in town. It is imperative that you purchase comprehensive travel insurance before your trip if you are visiting Atlanta from outside the USA. Most violent crime in Atlanta takes place between people that know each other and is restricted to certain neighborhoods.If you are visiting Atlanta for a short period of time, you would have to be very unlucky to be a victim of crime during your trip. It will still be relatively "busy" until 6:15 or 6:30 at least. Show Prices. This is the citys eclectic, alternative district.The quaint stores here sell all manner of weird and wonderful things. Would I be alright walking from the Georgia Dome back to the hotel after the show? As I said, I am a city girl, but there are always people around in the evenings at home, so it was the reports about downtown being deserted that were concerning. Riding the Atlanta Streetcar - route and rates, Hotels Offering Park Sleep Fly at ATL Airport, TRIP REPORTS - Ideas of things to see and do. Is Downtown Atlanta safe? Guests can relax at the in-house bar, W XYZ. So, founder Mary McKenzie found a loophole by opening up a tearoom that served southern food. "The places you dont want to walk around, you probably wont find yourself walking around. Live music spills into the streets in East Atlanta Village (EAV), where bars, venues, and restaurants attract a young crowd. Walk up to Spring Street and turn left and walk down to Baker. You should absolutely be aware of the heightened risks here. Unfortunately, Georgias capital doesnt boast the best reputation in safety compared to other American cities. Pine Hills is the perfect "in town" neighborhood. Crime and shootings are not unheard of, even in safe neighborhoods like Buckhead. | Safety Concerns, The Best Time to Visit Atlanta in 2023 | When to Go, The 15 Best Hotels in Atlanta in 2023 | For All Budgets, Where to Stay in Atlanta in 2023 | Best Areas. Well, Atlanta is not one of the 10 most dangerous cities in the United States according to the rankings worldpopulationreview ou Statistics. This is a big station and can get crowded at times. Vortex (438 Moreland Ave NE) is home to some of the best burgers in ATL and boasts an ever-changing menu of weird and wonderful hamburger concoctions.The walls and ceilings of their obscure interiors are decorated with priceless items of old Americana. This is particularly important if you are arriving in the city via public transport. In all, life goes on as normal in Atlanta most of the time. (2022 Crime Rates And Crime Stats), Is Florence, South Carolina Safe? Poncey-Highland is a vibrant central Atlanta neighborhood that is situated 2 miles north of downtown. Best places for southern cooking in (and around) Atlanta, costruction around the Hartsfield Atlanta airport. The hotel could use some upgrades but is a good place to stay." It also features the East Atlanta Strut music and arts festivals. This is how we keep the lights on (i.e. Like most big cities, downtown Atlanta is more walkable and safer during daytime hours. 590 West Peachtree Street Northwest, Atlanta, GA, United States. I don't think this is the most enjoyable area to stay. Get answers to your questions about Atlanta, Less Expensive Neighborhood Recommendations, Getting from Terminal S (or N) to Terminal I, Getting from Terminal I to Terminal S (or N), Why LESS than 2 hours is NOT enough for international connections -First Hand account, Transportation from the airport to the city. Blend in as much as you can. When it comes to auto theft, Atlanta obtains a failing rating. Traveling to new places has changed our lives, and we hope to share our experience, insight, and passion with you in order to inspire you to change yours as well! Favorite Southern Restaurants, Restaurants Unique to Atlanta, and Coffee Shops? If you want to stop for a spot of brunch or lunch while youre in the area, head to Zibas Bistro Grant Park Best Kept Secret (560 Boulevard SE Atlanta). Opting to do a walking tour is a good way to get your bearings in a new place.Exploring with a local is a way to delve deeper into the city. No valuable is worth your life; if someone threatens you, heed, cooperate and file a report to the authorities. 2.5 days in Atlanta with a 3 y/o and baby. This question is likely at the forefront of your mind if you are planning a trip to the Georgia capital. Grant Park is widely regarded as being one of the safest areas to live in Atlanta. Notable Amenities Onsite, self-serve laundry facility, outdoor grills, 24-hour pantry Pros Free breakfast Complimentary parking Cons Past guests have mentioned rooms could use a refresh You may be surprised to know that Downtown Atlanta is considered one of the most walkable neighborhoods in Atlanta. Milton is easily one of the safest cities in Georgia. A major draw of visiting Atlanta is the citys food culture. Hotel amenities include free breakfast, rooftop patio and onsite convenience store. Re: Is Downtown Atlanta safe? Most of the violent crimes in Atlanta are gang-affiliated, and drug trafficking rarely affects visitors. Is Atlanta Safe to Visit in 2023? It is notorious for high crime rates and illegal drug activity. 3. Much easier than finding parking. Some of the stalls here are widely regarded as being some of the best eateries in the city, and have been featured in various prestigious magazines. Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport North. A skyway, skybridge, skywalk, or sky walkway is an elevated type of pedway connecting two or more buildings in an urban area, or connecting elevated points within mountainous recreational zones.Urban skyways very often take the form of enclosed or covered footbridges that protect pedestrians from the weather. Just recently we had someone get murdered right outside my condo in a botched carjacking.". Atlantas violent crime rate is 3.5x less than Memphis, the most dangerous city on the list. A lot of these areas are considered as being very good places to live. If you find yourself in downtown and need assistance or arent comfortable walking back to your car or hotel, you can always call an Atlanta Ambassador to help you. . It is chosen as a destination to visit by reputable travel publications for a reason. Check out the most unique Airbnbs to stay in Atlanta, Georgia. Warriorjan, how late in the evening would you be headed back to your hotel? There will be lots of police around and the hotel is quite close to Centennial Park. Dont bury your face in your phone or get lost in your headphones. No place is completely safe. The city ranks higher in the cities with the highest burglary rates, with only 12% of cities in the US having a higher rate. This multi-story food hall is housed inside an old, converted Sears building and is home to more than 35 independent food vendors. If you're heading to Atlanta and want to have the city's attractions on your doorstep, book your stay at this spacious two bedroom apartment in the Grant Park neighborhood of downtown Atlanta. Old Fourth Ward, where to stay in Atlanta on a budget. 10 mi from Truist Park. 5 hour Atlanta city tour by air-conditioned bus, Self-guided audio walking tour of Atlanta, Walking dead filming locations tour of Atlanta, 2.5 hour Ponce City Market weekend food tour, Martin Luther King walking tour of Atlanta with optional lunch, Israel Passport Stamp: Everything You Need to Know [2023 Guide], Greek Street Food Guide 30 Tasty Light Bites to Enjoy in Greece. Now any other time of the year they would be right but from my experience this weekend is just so packed with people that it's pretty safe. Always keep the inside of your car clean and free of anything of value that a thief may want to steal. The major scam in Atlanta is street beggars who might follow you around the downtown area and attempt to steal if you become distracted. Stop by Martin Luther Kings House and grave, and check out the districts old shotgun houses. Save. Provided youre familiar with the citys layout and recognize the places to avoid, Atlanta can be a safe destination for a solo visit. Like most big cities, downtown Atlanta is more walkable and safer during daytime hours. Is Atlanta safe? Will there be a bunch of taxis available outside the Georgia Dome after the show? It is not as reliable and depending on the route, can be a less pleasant experience. City of Atlanta 7. However many residents agree that taking MARTA at night can get a little sketchy. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-80826064', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Savannah or the north Georgia mountains. Atlanta has a medium risk of scams, and visitors are easy targets for scammers. Where to stay in Atlanta - Downtown Accommodation in Downtown Atlanta - Click on the map to see all accommodation in this area Mostly though, this is more of an area to live and work, than anywhere that offers any particular.If you are looking to shop, Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza are two great malls in Buckhead. Or will I have to hail one while standing outside the Dome? Welcome Van Life Wanderer! Better than driving around downtown. I recommend avoiding the bus at night. Home Park is pretty safe now. I'm going to Wrestlemania next year at the Georgia Dome. If you take a short journey south of Midtown, you can find yourself in the Downtown district with plenty of history and impressive architecture. There are some people youre going to see on the trains A LOT. However, since most businesses close after five, the area can be pretty deserted at night. But arguably the main draw is the Ponce Street Market. Downtown is one of the best areas to stay in Atlanta because of its proximity to the city's popular attractions, the airport, and its excellent public transport connections. To avoid carrying cash, keep your card preloaded. ", Know your route & where youre going. These secure luggage items are available in an array of sizes and are both theft and slash-proof. In Houston we used the rail to leave the show but the problem was so did 90% of everyone else. Best places for southern cooking in (and around) Atlanta, costruction around the Hartsfield Atlanta airport. Despite Atlanta's reputation, the city is not as dangerous as many perceive it to be. (33 reviews) "For starters the place was lovely. That means no expensive cameras around your neck, and not walking around with expensive jewelry or electronics in hand. Atlanta is not really the type of city where you can just walk and walk for hours with assured safety. City of East Point 3. Similarly, the FBI publishes annual crime reports that show statistics across various crime categories for all US cities across each state. There is no disputing that Atlanta does have a big crime and homelessness problem.A lot of city parks that may look like appealing places to walk when you check out your map are actually occupied by large homeless communities living in tents. You'll be able to see if a neighborhood is less-affluent, but you never know what nicer neighborhoods might have more crime too. 12. Dont sit locked into your phone, look up. While I've never been to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Solo travelers to Atlanta should avoid arriving at night or leaving their drinks unattended, as it can be risky. Best value #2 Inn at the Peachtrees Ascend Hotel Collection $135 per night. How safe is it to walk alone in downtown Atlanta at night? The city faces violent crimes, especially among gangs, which explains that one neighborhood can be a tourist haven and the next a crime hotspot. Vine City is a neighborhood located east of downtown Atlanta. Aggravated assaults and motor vehicle theft also increased 15% and 4% respectively. If you are thinking about visiting Atlanta and have qualms about the safety of the city, we got you covered. While there may be few instances of violent and property crimes, Austin is very safe compared to other big cities. A bar/lounge and a 24-hour fitness center are other highlights . You can still explore the hidden gems without qualms about safety. The city boasts plenty of things to see and do during a short or extended break. This well-maintained ranch with Master on Main over full finished daylight basement is situated on a private wooded lot (2/3 acre) and is just around the corner from downtown MainStreet Toccoa, Toccoa Falls College, hospital, and shopping. The Atlanta Police Department provides three different crime mapping options, allowing you to research the area around your hotel and the locations of your top tourist sites before you travel. Downtown Atlanta is NOTHING like Manhattan. Most popular #2 Holiday Inn Express & Suites Atlanta Downtown $156 per night. Never been to (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Bankhead is a neighborhood located west of downtown Atlanta, Georgia. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-80822760', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Atlanta (opposite Woodruff park) for 2 weeks. There are areas of Atlanta where you shouldnt even think of going at night, namely the neighborhoods mentioned above. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-80825156', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Atlanta doesn't have much going on after the offices go home. The cozy king was cozy bae was 6 ft 7 and I'm 5 ft 10 and we kind of were on top of each other. (Crime Rates And Crime Stats). Safety is not the reason I would not stay in this area, though; quality of life is. The revitalization initiative encouraged crime reduction even in some of the worst neighborhoods and is closely linked to attempts to reduce net crime in metro Atlanta. Ideal for Traveling Nurses or those looking to get away from home short term. You can rent a scooter to beat the rush hour traffic in Atlanta. In general it is safe, but of course you need to always be aware of your surroundings, don't carry cash, stay in well lit areas with other people around, etc. In the past ten years, Downtown Atlanta's residential population has grown about 1.95% annually, so it's not even the same place that it was one year ago. But since 2013, the number of homicides in Atlanta has increased, with a significant percentage of the cases remaining unsolved. Question about coming through ATL during Rush Hour, Hotel with rooftop or decent outdoor pool in Atlanta please, Atlanta to Destin Florida - Driving Time/Route, A nice beach near Atlanta for family of two young children, Holiday Inn Express & Suites Atlanta Downtown, an IHG Hotel, Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta Galleria, Days Inn by Wyndham Atlanta Marietta Ballpark. It boast a rich history and culture and offers great food, museums, great live music and tons of attractions, no wonder 35 million people flock to the city every year. 1) Stay at the Omni at the CNN Center (which is behind the Philips Arena on Marietta St) 2) Grab a cab after the show 3) Find a hotel in one of Atlanta's suburbs and use the MARTA If I stay at the Omni, will I be safe walking back there at 11 at night? Public transport is a pretty reliable and safe way to move around Atlanta. The year 2023 forecasts suggest a decline in crime rates compared to 2018. Crime & Safety. Atlanta is a flourishing, welcoming city that fosters varied communities and minority commercial outlets and is a popular LGBTQAI+ tourism destination. Aloft Atlanta Downtown - Modern, bright and super stylish, Aloft is one of the coolest places to stay in Downtown. $149. Ultimately, it should not act as a deterrent that intimidates you out of visiting. Downtown Atlanta If you take a short journey south of Midtown, you can find yourself in the Downtown district with plenty of history and impressive architecture. My friends here said I could always take a cab, but that seems weird for just two blocks to me lol. Consider checking ADPs website to observe the crime patterns closer to your visit. Are you kidding? This is peace and tranquility in a serene natural setting already covered in violets, blue bells and daffodils . Research the areas in Atlanta that you want to visit and use Google Maps street view to see if the areas is sketchy. There are a plethora of excellent restaurants and stores here. It's pretty much the only hotel in downtown that is within my budget. I avoid DRIVING downtown at that hour let alone walk around downtown. This area is pretty dead after dark, and has poor food, nightlife, and shopping options. So, remain vigilant and avoid moving around at night if you plan to explore these neighborhoods.