iowa students identifying as cats

A level of psychiatry needs to be initiated before creating accommodations for students who identify as cats. Though the TikTok post itself received only around 13,000 total interactions, the video was extensively re-shared by Twitter users, influencers on YouTube, posted (and later removed) on Reddit, and picked up by a number of media outlets, including the Post Millennial, Christianity Daily and NewsPunch. ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) A rumor going around on social media has been raising some eyebrows. I have two grandkids in school and my grandkids didnt want to go to school anymore," she said. Dr. Paul McHugh, former psychiatrist-in-chief and director of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at Johns Hopkins University Hospital (and current distinguished professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences), echoed this sentiment when discussing the medical field and transgender people. The school reportedly said in a statement that its students were demonstrating a range of issues from mental health, anxiety or identity issues. Its a safe bet that the girl identifying as a cat fits this description. Required fields are marked *. I live about two blocks from the school board administrator in my county, whom through his wife told us that a young lady in our district is indeed putting up a squabble about being denied accommodation as a cat. Comments above just about cover it. As a Rivals site, does GIA have press credentials? But according to Superintendent Mark Martin, a petition isnt needed. Who is Suzanne Morphew and when did she go missing? This is freakn ridiculous! Im convinced theyre trying to suck us up into their world of crazy . This group of fussy felines has apparently made life difficult for this grandmother's grandchildren. 2023, Hearst Television Inc. on behalf of WLWT-TV. Yet it seems the rumor has reached Oregon, with recent gossip asserting Salem-Keizer Public Schools officials approved a student's request to self-identify as a cat and allowed litter boxes in the . Whos doing it? And this little girl in the very front row says, You have to meow back at him; he identifies as a cat. Are you kidding me?, The student stormed out of the classroom when she laughed at him, she said, and the schools administration fired her: They said We no longer need your services if you cant identify with all the children in the classroom.'. His note came amid a heightened scrutiny of schools across the nation, where curriculum about race is being questioned and the recommendations of certain books might lead to criminal prosecution. ", USDA is predicting egg prices will be $12 a dozen by fall 2022.. #substituteteacher #substitute #teachers #crazy #studentslife #classroomcraziness #lovinglife. Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. Then I hear meow! Im like, Okay, whats up with that? (Photo by pixelfit/Getty Images). There are others but cant remember what. The story was made up by the TikTok user, who later posted an update expressing her disappointment at how "fake news" is made and affirming that she was not fired. The video has been viewed and shared thousands of times across TikTok, Twitter, Telegram, Reddit, and other platforms, often accompanied by outraged comments and calls to reform "woke" public schools. I go through life being a cat - it's just who I am." "It all started in high school, I have always been into cats, I mean that's where my name came from. Her post elicited comments from a former Carroll school board president, Jen Munson, that I warned people during the election about this type of stuff and from an area resident, Tristan Hinners, who claimed that Des Moines has students who say they are a dog and a falcon. 2022 03 31 Dr Duke Pesta VFW Hartland. Disgusting, but not life-threatening. Sorry, no feline accomadations in the school. Im just embarrassed by what this has gotten to," she said. But here we are in 2021 and this is happening. 2023 www.desmoinesregister.com. Youre literally following a rumor mill. Tips for School Counselors to Support Students Self Identifying as "Furries", "Therians", or "Otherkins" 1. An Iowa superintendent sent a letter to parents to dispel the myth. Hearst Television participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. A young child wears cat ears while doing school work at home. We did not find any credible news reports that say schools are providing litter boxes. Last December in Michigan, a parent said she'd heard the same rumors. It was about a rumor involving an Iowa school. No, a teacher did not get fired for failing to "meow back" at a student who identifies as a cat. "Staff members are not encouraging or accommodating anyone behaving or identifying as a cat or any other animal," Superintendent Casey Berlau said Tuesday in a note to parents in the western. Regarding the Norwegian woman, that one startled me as I have a cat named Nano. East Bay Regional Park District Cat Killings, Felines Blast Humans For Cultural Appropriation: You Cant Identify As A Cat! Pain In The Bud, Les flins sen prennent aux humains pour leur appropriation culturelle : Vous ne pouvez pas vous identifier en tant que chat ! 801 3rd St. S If your child thinks they are a cat or a dog then you failed as a parent. It all ended in a big fight that caused massive property damage to the school. Im staying calm, but Im not happy about it, and its happened on your watch, and I dont understand it., Heres the video: (It should start at the relevant section, but if it doesnt, Hansen speaks at the 32:44 mark). We did not find any credible news reports that say schools are providing litter boxes. I was told by a teacher friend in Georgia that this is true in her state as well. First, contact the humane society for not having a valid animal license and not wearing a tag. A world where people identify as animals is upon us. The parent goes on to suggest this is part of a larger "agenda" nationwide. A substitute teacher was fired, after refusing to meowat a student that identifies as a catBy not meowing back at the student, she somehow oppressed him. This isnt a real thing. Pain In The Bud, FurryGate: Rogan, Boebert, Greene Drag Cats Into Politics With Claims Of Litter Boxes In Schools Pain In The Bud, Cat Gets Help For Man Who Fell Off Waterfall, UK Government Once Considered Cat Cull During Pandemic. I believe we have a student who identifies as a cat. You have entered an incorrect email address! It's actually happening. "They identify with animals. A furry is someone who role-plays or identifies as an animal, or an animal character with human-like characteristics. This is sadly happening, and even in rural, conservative, farm country, Iowa. WARNING RANT!!! Theyre also allowed to bark. This is a cat-focused blog, so my interest here is the idea that cats have been dragged into the ongoing American culture wars. Then, people from another district said students are allowed to identify as dogs and wear dog collars. www.youtube.com, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF2k85dOs_Y. A Nebraska state lawmaker publicly repeated the claim then apologized when he learned it wasnt true. If you have people who act like and believe they ARE animals, that is NOT a Furry. He said the costumes violate the school dress code: "A small number of Meade County High School students have violated the dress code policy during the early part of the school year. Its more of a role-playing type thing that some people do to express themselves in a different way. Is your school pushing transgender and they dont wanna be, so theyd rather be a cat? Email us atexclusive@the-sun.comor call212 416 4552. She previously covered the Iowa Statehouse for 10 years for newspapers in Davenport, Waterloo, Sioux City, Mason City and Muscatine. Go to the bathroom in a toilet and flush. If youve ever used the phrase Fake News now YOU can actually DO something about it! Ill have my tuna on rye, not mixed with kibble, thanks. Curiously, this is the second piece of misinformation purporting that students are identifying as animals this week. You need evidence for that, and this is a very serious treatment.. Nothing wrong with being Transphobic . Imagine being such a tone deaf journalist that you miss the whole point that this is about transphobia and mocking trans people. go to the park or an animal shelter and maybe youll be adopted! "It is a source of disappointment that I felt the necessity to communicate this message to you., During the Dec. 20 meeting, a parent of a student in the district said she had been left "disturbed" after hearing a litter box had been installed in at least one unisex restroom in one of the district's schools for those who "identified as cats.". The enabling of this behavior is halping people with legitimate mental health issues get applause instead of the medical help they truly need. Alex Murdaugh trial: Murderer sentenced to consecutive life sentences after being found guilty. God, not everything that hurts peoples feelings is wrong. He said the costumes violate the school dress code: Imagine that! If these student animals are so messed in the head, lets treat them like a cat or dog! Theres a lot of chatter that there is a girl at West that identifies as a furry and the school board is debating on whether to install a litter box for her. '"The grandmother said a petition to end the practice was created by students and has more than 1,000 signatures. There is no truth whatsoever to this false statement/accusation! "This is still a problem. St. Petersburg, FL Members of the "furries" fantasy subculture tell The Post they're not wild about this week . "This is still a problem. A recent story out of small-town Iowa was getting lots of twitters and titters: The Carroll school superintendent sent out an email to parents to knock down a false rumor that there were litter boxes in school bathrooms to accommodate students who "identify" as cats. Because weve gone insane as a society, of course, and basic reality now means different things to different people depending on their political ideologies. Excuse me? But as of right now, I have not been able to verify a single one of the claims. "The students are told they cant wear hats or Budweiser shirts in school, but they can wear cat ears, cat tails, masks, leashes. Three doctors from the same hospital die suddenly in the same week, after the hospital mandated a fourth COVID-19 vaccine for employees. You are using an out of date browser. Third, they need to take their de-worming pills and dont forget their flea and ticket collars. In Michigan, a school superintendent also sent an email to parents to say the claim was false, after a parent stated it. Kat told Barcroft TV: "I have always been different. Supposedly this is real. 0:52. Sorry, not a known recognizable language. "Apparently, from what I understand, theyre called 'furries,'" the grandmother, who asked to remain anonymous, told WLKY. Please! Your email address will not be published. But thats beyond the scope of this blog, which is to celebrate cats, have a laugh and occasionally put the spotlight on animal welfare. But according to Superintendent Mark Martin, a petition isn't needed. Enjoy The Healthy Aging Support of Collagen Get 51% Off Here http://www.healthwithlauren.com/ This is my FAV trusted source ^^^^ One California. Hey wait -I seriously allergic to cats. "Kids who identify as 'furries' get a litter box in the school bathroom. I understand that children do this because they want attention and don't know how to behave. This isnt about mocking transgender people. And others, who call themselves furries, create animal alter egos and interact with others who do the same. In another video, the author scrolls through TikTok and YouTube reels featuring her "little rant. China threatens to shoot Nancy Pelosis plane down if she visits Taiwan., Know what they always find in Alzheimers patients? "Teacher fired for not playing along with a student who identifies as a cat. Associated Press, "Wisconsin school district does not have furry protocol," April 6, 2022, Associated Press, "Nebraska lawmaker apologizes for debunked litter box claim," March 29, 2022, Des Moines Register, "Carroll Community School District superintendent: No litter boxes in schools," Feb. 10, 2022, Fort Worth Star-Telegram, "Furries eating out of dog bowls at school? Even more disturbing is the fact that the private school she attends is willing to acknowledge her feline self-identification and permits her to act like a cat in school so long as her behavior doesnt disrupt the class, according to the Herald Sun. Litter in bathroomsspare me. stated on February 13, 2023 in social media posts. Have yall heard about this? Those people call themselves Therians or Otherkin and are NOT a part of the Furry fandom. North Kingstown is in the news again as a school is reportedly allowing two students to identify as cats this school year complete with providing a litter box. Or bestiality. Midland Public Schools was accused of installing litter boxes in the restrooms for students "who identify as cats" to use. There are websites that claim there is a catgender movement, but that is a different thing. "I was hearing rumblings of this last year, but it really got bad when they went back to school this year. The video's creator does appear to be a high school teacher, according to her past videos, but the story is entirely made upironically, as an exercise to "create awareness" of what kids are going through at school, according to other videos posted several days later by the same account. And today, I am equally stunned and a little bit upset -- well, not a little bit -- I'm furious," she said, according to a video of the meeting posted to YouTube. There have never been litter boxes within MPS schools.. American journalist Jack Posobiec was arrested at World Economic Forum., The Uvalde, Texas, mass shooter was an illegal alien.. School districts in several states have debunked the claim that they are providing litter boxes in bathrooms. Stop pretending that everything you hear is an attack of some sort. Last October the Twin Falls School District (TFSD) in Idaho issued a statement denying there was a group of disruptive cat-identifying students at any of their facilities. Waukee taxpayers voice displeasure at heated meeting. Fifth, they need to be spayed or neutered cause these are the types of people that should not be allowed to breed! "I will do some more investigation," she added. Sharrow said the rumor was recently brought up by a parent during a school board meeting on December 20 and has since been shared widely online. By Alex Griswold Jan 28th, 2016, 10:08 am. The state's House of Representatives Thursday approved House Bill 1749, which would bar public schools and state colleges and universities from requiring that teachers use students' preferred. a typical day of subbing! Im just embarrassed by what this has gotten to," she said. . Fluoride.. Its like the slippery-slope arguments that we heard back when Iowa legalized same-sex marriage: If we allow this, next well have to condone marriages involving pedophilia. Two curious stories relating to cats have been circulating online this week: In the first story, a substitute teacher claims she was fired because she refused to meow back to a student who identifies as a cat, while parents in a Michigan school district were infuriated by a rumor that the district was providing litter boxes to cat-identified students in school bathrooms. You must log in or register to reply here. And have policies ensuring no one mocks them? "Our community needs to understand that the agenda that is being pushed through our schools, in my opinion, is somewhat nefarious when it comes to some of the activities.". FARGO Furries, people dressing up and acting like cartoon animals, are nothing new, but the issue of students identifying as cats in class has begun to attract attention. The real goal with comparing furries to trans people and bringing up stuff like this is, one, to make fun of furries and say, Oh, arent they so silly. Therefore, if you identify as a dog or cat you can no longer go to a public school because animals are not allowed. Other, similar claims also have circulated in Wisconsin where a school district denied that it allows students who identify as furries to lick their paws in gym class and bark in hallways and in Texas, where a candidate for state office falsely claimed that cafeteria tables are being lowered to allow furries to eat without using utensils. I asked Keenan Crow of One Iowa, a LGBTQ advocacy group, if they think its a coincidence that a story like this would pop up at a time when public schools are under attack and conservative lawmakers are working to put restrictions on transgender and LGBTQ students. Contact Editor Kathie Obradovich for questions: info@iowacapitaldispatch.com. Everyone should be sympathetic to her plight, but people should not be enabling her delusions. This is true in many states including the one in which I live (Tennessee). The Carroll School District. North Kingstown Councilwoman Mary Brimer sounded the alarm after hearing stories from parents of the school installing litter boxes at a school in a special . ", #greenscreen Crazy times to be a substitute teacher. The claim: A Michigan school put litter boxes in bathrooms for students who identify as cats A video of a central Michigan school board meeting went national in mid-January after a parent. CARROLL, Iowa The Carroll Community School District recently had to put an end to a rumor that it had placed litter box in bathrooms to accommodate student who identify as animals. Just wondering, if you identify yourself as a cat, If you are sick do you see a doctor or a veterenarian? 33701 We should all be sympathetic to these people, which is why we should not enable any of their delusions. School districts in Iowa, Michigan and Nebraska have debunked claims that they are providing litter boxes in bathrooms. A gender identity is something innate to a person; a core component of their being that cant be changed, Crow said. The Justice Department has been calling parents that are concerned about what their kids are being taught, they are labeling them terrorists., Sen. Marco Rubio signed a 2021 letter that supports waivers that would reduce visual track inspections.. A SCHOOL in Michigan has bizarrely been accused by outraged parents of installing litter boxes in bathrooms for students who identify as cats and dogs. The litter boxes in schools hoax (also called the litter box canard) is a false rumor alleging that certain North American schools provide litter boxes in bathrooms for students who "identify as cats", or who participate in the furry or otherkin subcultures. I cant stay in the same classroom as that cat! A doctor at the Mayo Clinic is misdiagnosing pregnancies of Trump supporters so they have abortions. Alternatively have them DNA tested. Some develop elaborate video-game personas. I'm like, 'Okay, what's up with that? The one thing thats certain, however, is that cats dont deserve to be in the middle of this mess. A Michigan school superintendent debunked the rumor after a video from a December school board meeting resurfaced in which a speaker airs concerns about students who "identify as cats." Lisa. Sick. For those of us who subscribe to neither ideology, the whole thing is another sad example of the polarization that is destroying the US, the same divisive talk amplified by platforms like Twitter and Facebook. I was bullied a lot for wearing the ears and just being a . "I'm grateful for the people who reached out and asked me about it, but I'm disappointed how fake news is made. Do your research. When I read such news, I ask myself if the advent of the Internet was a good event. Lisa Hansen asked other parents to join her to do some investigating into the policy, Im all for creativity and imagination, but when someone lives in a fantasy world and expects other people to go along with it, I have a problem with that, Hansen told the Midland school board. I read that a comedian joked how he asks to be regarded with the possessive pronoun there, because he identifies as a place. Why Are So Many Gen Z Kids Becoming Furries? The rumor has been spreading persistently, but was unfounded each time: An Iowa superintendent sent a letter to parents to dispel the myth. Custodial staff CANNOT be required to clean up litter boxes. The woman, who uses the handle @crazynamebridgetmichael, said she was taking attendance when a student responded to his name with feline vocalizations. And the school was allowing kitty litter to be placed in the classroom or bathroom or both. Schools are not putting litter boxes in bathrooms to accommodate children, as months of unfounded rumors have claimed. This site is about cats, and I want everyone who loves cats to feel welcome here. You have entered an incorrect email address! Author lied. Thankfully for our furry friends, smaller brains don't necessarily correlate to lower intelligence. I know what my folks would have done if I had notions like that. I agree, this starts at home with good healthy parenting. We live in a conservative area of North Florida and A LOT of kids in our local middle school are furries. "Yesterday I heard something, and I was stunned. We thought, "no way." But then we thought"well, you never know." Restaurant inspection update: Sewage, rodent carcasses, mold, Restaurant update: Bad sushi, unlicensed eateries and, Restaurant inspection update: Moldy school cafeteria cheese,. Dont think its not happening in your area because it probably is. I've got to rant for a minute," the teacher says in a short TikTok video. "The rumor is that our schools have litter boxes in the restrooms to accommodate individuals who are self-identifying as animals," Casey Burlau, superintendent of Iowa's Carroll School District . A short TikTok clip in which a woman claiming to be a substitute teacher vents about a school supposedly firing her for failing to respect a student's decision to identify as a cat has gone viral on social media. A grandmother of a student reported that a crew of kids dressed as cats has been hissing and scratching at others. It looks like it isnt just happening in Iowa, thankfullyI guess? Why did people believe them? The litter box canard also serves another political purpose: Trying to scare parents. You'll probably be catphobic if you refuse to pet them. Feline humor, news and stories about the ongoing adventures of Buddy the Cat. These people will hiss at you or scratch at you if they dont like something youre doing.". If they are not claimed within 72 hours, they need to be euthanized. "The grandmother is urging parents and family members to attend the Meade County School Board meeting on Sept. 14 to request further action. Wow! As for this particular subject, I have thoroughly looked into the viral stories about schools accommodating students who identify as cats, and theyve all turned out to be rumors or hoaxes. It doesnt make sense," she added.But according to Superintendent Mark Martin, a petition isnt needed.He said the costumes violate the school dress code:"A small number of Meade County High School students have violated the dress code policy during the early part of the school year. Saatva Mattress Review: Our Pick for the Best Overall Bed of 2023, We Found 12 Cute Planters and Flower Pots That Cost Less Than $25, Here's Where to Watch and Stream Marvel's 'Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania' Online. Primary source evidence proves the claim to be false. Two curious stories relating to cats have been circulating online this week: In the first story, a substitute teacher claims she was fired because she refused to meow back to a student who "identifies as a cat," while parents in a Michigan school district were infuriated by a rumor that the district was providing litter boxes to cat-identified