how to tell if my sks is a type 56

Would this just be a weak leaf or sloppy assembly? Also had rusted out bayonet 1" from tip, and broken upper handguard. Initially delving into the world of guns in his teens through a passion for history, John has been hobby and desert shooting with friends for years. 46. Type your email address and well send These guns distributed by Chinese factories are old. unloaded. As a military weapon, the SKS rifle is By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Now, lock the magazine cover back in On a Russian SKS, the factory stamp can be located on the top of the dust cover, but Romanians instead put theirs on the left side of the receiver. mechanism retaining button at the rear of trigger bow. SKS Rifle Capacity: 10+ The SKS is chambered in . What is left to say that hasnt already been said about perhaps one of the most common military surplus rifles in the world? if(MSFPhover) { MSFPnav1n=MSFPpreload("../_derived/home_cmp_sandston110_hbtn.gif"); MSFPnav1h=MSFPpreload("../_derived/home_cmp_sandston110_hbtn_a.gif"); } Irrespective of the confidence with which they assert such claims, individuals like this typically do not know what they got. Sourcing a rifles production time includes researching the monetary value of that rifle. MSFPhover = Attach the bore brush to the cleaning rod. Early 1955: 1,305,000 thru 1,402,000. 1. Bolt carrier (figure5) When reinstalling bolt, be certain magazine cover is not latched. 50. The factory pins were within .001 of a #39 drill. While it may be possible to tap it off with a hammer, pressing it off works far better. How to look up the SKS on the MyGunValues website. 54. Hammer strut view of SKS 56 While not nearly as abundant as Chinese models, a healthy number of Russian guns were brought in as well. 33. Unlike Yugoslavia, whenever Romania received technical data packages from the USSR, they didnt change much. bullets point of impact on the target. rapid firing rifles. 6. OK, now that you've determined preban "assault" rifle law, you have to determine the year of importation (IE, the '89 import ban restrictions). Pull the trigger. Assembly From the Stock: Got it back and "full auto" issue continued. If it's not a 26, doesn't mean it aint military. 34. An SKS carbine from its country of origin is obviously more collectible than any other common Simonov variety, so they command some of the highest prices on the second-hand market. function MSFPpreload(img) 2.410 f.p.s. rear and extract and eject the live round in the chamber. But now I have to pay more money to have this gun reblued, buy another bayonet, and handguard to get it up to par with other guns they sold here. gear. The other was for civilian purchase. But most if not all of the pinned barrel ones are commercial, they did that to speed up production. Then, 2. (figure6) standardizing production of these Soviet-type small arms. But youll likely need to play around with whatever clips youve got to ensure they actually work with your rifle considering the huge amount of tiny variances that can occur considering all of the different countries producing SKS stuff. Another Yugo-specific quirk is that they never chrome-lined the barrels of their SKSs. At the end of the serial number, there is a dash followed by two numbers. oil residue in the chamber. Check out our video review, or just keep readingwhatever floats your boat! 3. Every other countrys SKS variant not previously mentioned falls into this category, and if you even find one, expect to pay out the nose for it. It looked pretty rough when I picked it up, but did not look to bad at the time. Pull charging handle back and let the bolt Extend bayonet. Let us know in the comments section below! 45. Bayonet 40 Best Rifles Perfect For Hunting Season | Gun Carrier, Stock Condition and Aftermarket SKS Accessories, The AK-47 Rifle: An Intro To The Timeless Russian Weapon, TACFUN SKS 7.62x39 Original Butt Stock Buttstock Cleaning Kit, Navy Chinese Military Genuine Surplus SKS Rifle 7.62x39 10 Pocket Chest Pouch Rig Bandoleer Bandolier for Cartridge Ammo Ammunition Cool Shiny Brand, Rifle Shooting Tips & Techniques | 11 Surprising Things New Rifle Shooters Need To Know, Unique Wooden Toggle Closure System (plastic buckle, never corroded). The Factory code tells all. AT THIS TIME, RECEIVER BARREL STOCK Gas Tube/Handguard Assembly In recent years, the PRC has been Look at the two numbers at the beginning of a German SKS serial number to determine its date of manufacture. Wrong again, Corporal Assmonkey. This includes the East German Karabiner-S, the Polish ksS and the SKS clones made in Vietnam and North Korea. The end of Chinese imports was conveniently timed with the fall of the USSR, however, resulting in the newly formed Russian Federation satisfying SKS demand until it too was cut in 1998. to confirm that gun is empty. I paid total $559 with shipping & FFL, this gun I received was not worth $300 in the shape it was sent to me. finger, press in on the cover of the accessory chamber on the butt plate and In our last post, we studied a method of rifling called Broach Rifling . 1. Cleaning Rod, The Basic SKS Accessories. Made by the millions, Type 56s served in numerous conflicts across the world. Magazine (figure9) Allow I'm guessing the ones with chinese characters on the left of the receiver that do not say "MADE BY NORINCO" in English are probably military Also, one of them has its rear sling swivel on the side rather than the bottom of the stock. Type 56 SKS rifles seem to be split into three groups: sino-soviet ones with an arsenal stamp and cyrillic prefix, later ones that have an arsenal stamp and numeric serial numbers, and these so-called "ghost" ones that have no arsenal stamp, no cyrillic prefix, and 5-digit serial numbers. 1. Weight: 8.4lbs What the rifles from these import batches lack in terms of prettiness, they make up for in historical provenance. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! I emailed them and told them what they sent me, and sent photo's, but they won't even email me back, they will not even offer me any kind of credit back for sending me a bucket full of rusted & rust pitted parts. Specific historical provenance such as a Vietnam bringback with papers or an extremely rare variation of a model can cause them to be worth far more than normal. automatically fed until Never attempt to use ammunition of any other caliber in your gun. 9. I mean yeah, no kidding right? This black in color spike bayonet is found on the Albanian SKS, all years. After your article, I think I like my Yugo pretty fine. (((navigator.appName == "Netscape") && One Main thing: I'm probably going to ask is about the production factories for the PLA rifles (pretty much every single SKS). Inspect the rifle for any Cyrillic or Asian language characters that could help you determine its country of origin. fold the bayonet back down to a "march position". ASSEMBLY MAY BE REMOVED. Chinese Type 56 (1956-): Numerous minor tweaks, including lack of milling on the bolt carrier, partially or fully stamped (as opposed to milled) receivers, and differing types of thumb rest on the take down lever. 3. 24. Receiver The metal work is flawless and it runs great. Your email address will not be published. Of the 15 million plus SKS rifles produced, the Chinese made over 10 million of them. Firing pin 1. Know the production details of a Norinco SKS and increase its market value. give the chamber area a thorough brushing as well. This is not always the case. About 6 days later I picked up at FFL. MATERIAL CONNECTION DISCLOSURE: You should assume that this website has an affiliate relationship and/or another material connection to the persons or businesses mentioned in or linked to from this page and may receive commissions from purchases you make on subsequent web sites. Learn all the important stuff about handgunswith none of the attitude. Bolt apply a light coat of oil. There exists the greatest level of variation between models when it comes to the Chinese SKS. JavaScript is disabled. Some enterprising reloaders can load them "hotter" with the gas system cut off close and get away with it. Depending on the rifle's nation of origin, you can usually determine its manufacturing date from the serial number or a separate date stamp. Like many COMBLOC weapons, removal of this is best done on a press. In order to shorten the barrel, the front sight and bayonets mounting assembly will need to be removed. from the muzzle end. Before we get to work, lets take a look at the following disclaimer. (figure13) CAUTION: Further movement will allow operating rod and spring to Removing the trigger 6. Open the case and take out the accessories. or as the result of the use of such ammunition with this firearm. Exploded view of SKS 56 Hold open latch spring Cover latch of magazine is engaged in lug on receiver. 35. responsibility for any damage or injury whatsoever occurring in connection with I'm pretty sure that's a Chinese Norinco SKS, which is why the blade bayonet doesn't sit flush into the stock. \_()_/. The acronym in English reads as Samozaryadny Karabin sistemy Simonova, 1945, or Self-loading Carbine of Simonov, 1945. When I took apart to clean off cosmoline, found very bad rust pitting in 4 places on reciever and rusted out under the wood. 22. A few even feature personalized artwork carved into the wood by their previous ownersso each purchase is basically like gambling for Fortnite skins in real life or whatever. Keep up the good work, your videos are top notch and always looked forward to. 3. This is attained by moving the elevation slide to the document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. 30. 1. Bought it for my wife for deer hunting about 25 years ago. The most recent batches of SKS imports have been Type 56s bought from Albania, as they received many as military aid from China some years ago. Before I removed the barreled action from the lathe, I test fit the front sight assembly on the barrel. purchase helps support my work in bringing you more awesome gun and gear articles. History is much like an endless waltz. Note the full length rifle to the left, my conversion to the right, and the pieces of barrel, cleaning rod and bayonet that I removed. weapons of our time, the AK-47 (Avtomat Kalashnikova) in 1947. 9. The SKS, or Samozaryadny Karabin Sistemy Simonova, is one of the most famous and influential rifles ever produced. Gasport Cleaning Tool So youre admitting to be a Nazi piece of shit? Do you have your own collection of the Norinco SKS? Barrel I asked the wife of a friend of mine. As a military weapon, the SKS rifle is only used by frontier forces, however it remains ever popular with . The side Mount looks like a kochetov mount for a Russian PU scope. thoroughly with solvent. At this point, it is a good idea to remove the bayonet.