billy powell osceola

Osceola and his band were brought to St. Augustine and imprisoned at Fort Marion (Castillo de San Marcos). As US relations with the Seminole deteriorated, Thompson forbade the sale of guns and ammunition to them. In adulthood, as part of the Seminole, Powell was given his name Osceola (/siol/ or /oseol/). He stayed in the area as a fur trader and married into a Muscogee family, becoming closely involved with these people. I am Benjamin Powell,Osceola Billy Powell is my 4x Great Grandfather and His wife Peoka Powell is my 4x Great Grandmother. [4]:178 Weedon apparently preserved Osceola's head in a large jar of alcohol and took it to St. Augustine,[4]:181 where he exhibited it in the family drugstore. FactSnippet No. The family moved to Florida when Billy was a child, and later, having witnessed the white man's brutality against Native Americans he joined the Seminoles and began to fight against the U.S. government's attempt . There they became part of what was known as the Seminole people. (LogOut/ Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Big Warrior George Washington Cornells Aka Tustenuggee Thloco Cornell and, SP # 2: WILLIAM Powell 1761-1830, Little Trader (oldest of 8 kids of James & Also Powell) m. in Seminole Co., GA (SW GA near Jackson Co., FL and Houston Co, AL) OR 1778-1852 findagrave, Their KIDS:(3 + Williams 2): He identified himself as an Indian, says Ccile Ganteaume, an NMAI curator and organizer of the Infinity of Nations exhibition. He defeated General Duncan Clinch at the Battle of Withlacoochee in December 1835. Osceolas grandfather ( William Powells father ) was Absolam Powell the 1st. Im just seeking additional clarity as I find the extent of the European heritage in these native Americans (particularly in the Creek tribes) to be a fascinating aspect of the social/ethnic characterizations in the recorded native American history. CHILD: Sanee 1798 (Osceolas sister) m Yoha Hadjo Rhoden 1793 View the profiles of people named Osceola Billy Powell. Known throughout his youth as Billy Powell, Osceola's early life remains relatively obscure. Their KIDS (3+ 2 by William Powell): General Woodward further says: "Billy Powell or Osceola went with his uncle, McQueen, to Florida. My name is Nancy E. Renfrow. Ann McQueen was also mixed-race Muscogee Creek; her father, James McQueen, was Scottish. I moved a lot and reside in Northeast Mississippi. The most promising I found was a letter by Congress in 1836 stating that Us Se YOHOLO had several children with the daughter of Mad Wolf aka Yaha Hajo. Owen Edwards Being a matriarchal society, the Muskogee Creek would have allowed multiple wives especially in situations where it was a sister where the family needed to be taken care of. These paintings have inspired numerous prints and engravings, which were widely distributed, and even cigar store figures. Osceola attended several parleys with American officials, after which he usually left disgusted and dissatisfied. Brother of Hepsy Homarty Powell; Maurnee Powell; Santee Powell; James L Powell; Thomas A Powell and 6 others; Emeline A Powell; Mary Jane Powell; Rachel Coppinger Powell; Lucy Powell; Sanee Powell and Charles Powell less Native American Haplogroup Origins and AncestralOrigins, James Whitehurst, Indian, Princess Anne County,VA, Eugenics as Indian Removal: Sociohistorical Processes and the De(con)struction of American Indians in theSoutheast, 1837 Treaty with the Choctaw andChickasaw. Available for both RF and RM licensing. Osceola (1804 January 30, 1838, Asi-yahola in Creek), named Billy Powell at birth in Alabama, became an influential leader of the Seminole people in Florida. [1]:217218 [4]:115116, Osceola was named Billy Powell at his birth in 1804 in the Creek village of Talisi, which means "Old Town". With them, he had at least five children. When he was a child, they migrated to Florida with other Red Stick refugees, led by a relative, Peter McQueen,[1] after their group's defeat in 1814 in the Creek Wars. Osceola was named John William Powell Jr aka Billy Powell at birth in the Creek village of Talisi, now known as Tallassee, Alabama, in current Elmore County. "Osceola" was an early pen name used by Danish author, Osceola "Ossie" Bigtree is the name of a character in, This page was last edited on 23 February 2023, at 16:08. The army was unable to defeat Osceola in the field, so General Thomas Jesup used other means to capture him. Can I get a copy of the Powell History Book. Note: most researchers believe that William Powell, 1761-1830, is the step father of Osceola b 1804 in Talisi, AL, not his real father. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. By 1885, the death mask and some of Osceolas belongings ended up in the anthropology collection of the Smithsonian Institution, where they are still held. In 1936, Osceola was captured and died the following year in a prison at Fort Moultrie. Osceola managed to lead his followers, including noncombatants, from safe haven to ambush site to safe haven, while eluding multiple armies. I thought I would find who was father was by ordering his death certificate but his father is listed as unknown. Williams 2 kids: 1. The Black Seminoles: History of a Freedom-Seeking People. Would like to know more. Osceolas grave marker says, Osceola, Patriot and Warrior, died at Fort Moultrie, January 30, 1838., State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory, http://floridamemory.com/items/show/4295, http://www.kislakfoundation.org/millennium-exhibit/profiles6.htm, http://www.floridamemory.com/solr-search/results/?q=%28osceola%20OR%20tt%3Aosceola%5E10%29&query=osceola, https://nativeheritageproject.com/2014/03/15/creek-indian-mound-near-fort-decatur-alabama/, https://nativeheritageproject.com/2014/03/12/osceola-powell-seminole-chief/, http://floridamemory.com/blog/2013/01/30/osceola-ca-1804-1838/. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes. Andrew Jackson ordered my entire bloodline to be killed. CORRECT if Osceola LINK is correct (Doubtful) He married Che Cho La Morning Dew Stafney Thompson about 1827, in Alabama, United States. My family is on that site as to our DNA results. Ann was probably the sister or aunt of Peter McQueen, a prominent Muscogee leader and warrior. Augustine. Unworthy Republic: The Dispossession of Native Americans and the Road to Indian Territory. https://vanishingsouthgeorgia.com/2018/05/01/missouri-powell-canaday-sister-of-osceola-moniac/ Chief Osceola was the son of my great, great Uncle Billy Powell. When his illness was at its peak, Susan Orlean wrote in The Orchid Thief, Osceola roused himself from his sickbed and dressed himself in his favorite outfit of large silver earrings, a feathered turban, red war paint, ostrich plumes, silver spurs, a decorated powder horn, a fancy bullet pouch, a striped blanket, and a whalebone cane. Absolam Powell the 1st was my great, great, great, great grandfather. Hope to hear from you. His father is thought to have been an English trader named William Powell, though historian Patricia R.. I was Raised White. Are you on Ancestry? [7]:231 These paintings have inspired numerous widely distributed prints and engravings, and cigar store figures were also based on them. MY name is Benjamin Powell and I am the 4x Great Grandson of Osceola Billy Powell. Hope to meet you all some day! Billy Powell (Osceola), another Seminole warrior, was born in Alabama to a Muscogee mother and an Englishmen named William Powell. His Creek mother, Polly Copinger, was married to Englishman William Powell. She has a Powell Family Book which was created by Bruce Powell. I am trying to find out who Sanee Powell Rhodens spouse was, as well as the notion there were two men named Yoha-Hadjo Rhoden. His skill as a speaker, prowess in battle, and staunch opposition to removal, led him to becoming a prominent warrior, and he often acted as a spokesmen for Abiaka. George Catlin, a well-known artist, portrayed Osceola while forming a brief friendship with the legendary Seminole.Osceola whose name refers to the black drink or asi, combined with the call shouted after drinking this emetic, yaholo resided at Fort Moultrie very briefly before succumbing to a severe throat illness on January 30, 1838. Osceola's early life is largely unknown. Osceola, surrounded by his two wives and children, died the evening of January 30, 1838. W.W. Norton & Company, New York, New York, 2020. Chief Osceola (Billy Powell): During the Second Seminole War, Osceola led a small group of Seminole warriors, when the United States tried to remove the tribe from their lands in Florida. Your Privacy Rights I knew him well after that, and have seen him fre-quently. The painting above is by Catlin. Change), You are commenting using your Facebook account. yrs. He felt it equated the Seminole with slaves, who were forbidden by law to carry arms. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Osceola and the Great Seminole War: A Struggle for Justice and Freedom at the best online prices at eBay! I have looked for at least 10 years. One of the conditions of him staying there was to marry Chief Osceolas niece and to name all of his descendants Osceola. Rachel is in my line- I can not find a connection to Osceola. Maurnee (DP Note- William Powells child only) He died there a few months later of causes reported as an internal infection or malaria. He was buried on the grounds outside of the fort, albeit without his head, which Dr. Frederick Weedon removed as a scientific curiosity.Today, Osceolas legacy is representative of the struggle faced by many native peoples throughout the United States as encroachment by white settlers led to violent disputes and the eventual forced removal of most tribes to the present-day Southwest. Ann NANCY (McQueen) Coppinger 1747-1795 1769/71-1814 FL, M Jose Coppinger, 1730-1833- (of Coppinger clan 2021-03-12 Tallassee, AL - Osceola Historical Marker 002.jpg. Lewis Powell was tried and hanged under his alias, Lewis Paine. Osceola, having suffered from chronic malaria since 1836, and having acute tonsillitis as well, developed an abscess[7]:233 and died of quinsy[4]:144 on January 30, 1838, three months after his capture. Billy was all of these." Historians believe he was of mixed heritage being born of a mixed-race Creek mother, and Scottish or English father. It made sense then that many of his family lines made no sense. Pinecone7777@hotmail.com, Osceola were my ancestors and we still resides in America today but many things have been kept from us, My name is McKenley son of Hannah Mary Ella Walker/ McKinney. Any info you can share that can confirm Kathrines actual parents or parent would be really helpful! His mother Polly Coppinger was daughter of Ann McQueen who was part Muscokgee. What is Peokas Christian name? Capt. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. In the book, Shawnee Heritage IV 1700s to 1750 , it lists the mother of Queen Ann 1747 as being Stelona Fraser , niece of Katherine Fraser. These two events, along with the Battle of Withlacoochee on December 31 and raids on sugar plantations in East Florida in early 1836, marked the beginning of the Second Seminole War. My family hid the record of her birth-parents, and I know nothing about them except that her mother or father was likely a fieldhand in North Carolina.