actors who signed petition for roman polanski

. Sign up for our Email Newsletters here. I propose a boycott of all films and books and plays and machinery created by all those people listed here. Its war neutrality does not preclude it from signing a necessary extradition treaty with another country. Polanskis autobiography was written seven years after his arrest, and his account of the crime does not smack of a man overly burdened with feelings of guilt. She has had to hear about this, talk about this, show up for the DA, etc, and frankly, after 30 years and your entire adult life having to talk about how you were raped when you were a teenager, I would want the whole thing dropped as well. Feminist groups that challenged him were derided or ignored. Kingsley, who has worked with Polanski multiple times, would need to pass. Part of me feels extreme disgust right now because I think that the pass many are giving to Polanski is a reflection of a misogynistic culture that deep down believes a woman (or in this case, a girl) always wants it. Emma Thompson has long been an ardent supporter of women's rights, and the British Oscar-winner recently signed a letter in support of the Times Up campaign ahead of this year's BAFTAS. Some think that sex with a child is a crime not just against the child, but against society. the two of them have . Andre Buytaers The rest say they are too busy. (In one of those ironies we can only appreciate in retrospect, this documentary, which presents an energetic case for the defence of a sex offender, was produced by the Weinstein Company.). We are all part of the #MeToo movement, both men and women, Cruz said, because we all feel that rage and sense of injustice. Michael Mann, Tilda Swinton, Vangelis, Christophe Barratier, Lynch, Scorsese, Allen, Louis Garrel, Ludivine, the divine Jeanne Moreau. Thompson claims to have signed the petition, but later asked for her name to be removed. Jacques Fansten Broadly reached out to Swinton to ask if she regrets supporting Polanski, but she declined to reply by the time of publication. What is the big deal about the Reverend Polanski? The biggest stories of the day delivered to your inbox. Who among the Moral Police gives a shit? Everyone, including he, knew that once he was outside France and Poland (due to French and Polish laws), any country may arrest and extradite him under its own laws. Alain Jessua He didnt answer me when I said no Then he lifted up my legs farther and he went in through my anus.. Instead, the Isle of Dogs premiere featured a carpet that was resolutely red. 1994 Actor Death And The Maiden Roman Polanski Fine Line Features 8X10 Photo. Polanski raped a 13 year old girl and skipped out on the sentencing he should rot in jail for a long time. A petition has been circulated on behalf of Roman Polanski henceforth, to my mind, "RoPo" and signed by A-list movie directors (Pedro Almodovar, Wes Anderson, Martin Scorsese, Wong Kar. i feel ashamed sometimes,like a complete whore.but it was of my consent.so i sucked it up,and i never told anyone.if someone were to find out,there is no doubt id say its rape. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1994 Actor Death And The Maiden Director Roman Polanski Fine Line 8X10 Photo at the best online prices at eBay! The judge went back on his word because he was afriad of public opinion like yours. I understand that Hitler was a good painterMaybe we shouldnt have closed in on and bombed his bunker because good painters are a treasure.. Emir Kusturica Only one person who signed the petition agrees to speak on the record: the actor Asia Argento, who has since accused Weinstein of abusing her. My level of disgust for these petitions cannot even be fully expressed. Or else every case involving Stockholm Syndrome would never be tried. I express my deepest respect to those who were brave enough to sign the petition and withstand the blood-seeking mob. Pierre Jolivet i honestly dont know what to say, except for i almost feel let down. He never was. The year after he fled the US he gave an interview to Martin Amis, in which he declared: Judges want to fuck young girls. The facts have never altered. The fact that Polanski assumed that he could travel without hindrance shows only his blatant disregard for the law of any country. Grard Lenne Too icky, I suppose to add the details of your purported heros heinous crime. Roman Polanski is an ADMITTED child rapist. I do along with those who loves That is automatically rape as a child cannot give informed consent. Jarre, he admitted to sleeping with a 13 year old child, whose age he knew. Stephane Allagnon This Article is related to: News and tagged. He engaged in non-consenting sex acts with a child. Alexandre Arcady You may also click on the Accept button on the right to make this notice disappear. It is also irrelevant that she may have dressed grown up or even if she had engaged in intimacy with boys of her age. He then had sex with her, drove her home and, the next day, was arrested. One would think that these filmmakers have enough money to hire a proper lawyer to draft their petition, if they were serious about it. His movies went on to win six Oscars. Socit des Auteurs et Compositeurs Dramatiques (SACD), Les Misrables Trailer: Anne Hathaway Show-Stopper, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley Transformers Casting Drama, Palme dOr Winners: From Vienna Thriller to Lesbian Sex + Romance, Catherine Deneuve: Csar Award Record-Tier, Ken Loach Turns Down Turin Film Festival Award. Jean-Jacques Annaud While researching this article I had a couple of off-the-record discussions with actors and film-makers about their true feelings about Polanski. Page 15 100% of the proceeds of this bundle will support Direct Relief, International Medical Corps, and Save the Children. On March 10, 1977, then-43-year-old film director Roman Polanski was arrested and charged in Los Angeles with six offenses against Samantha Gailey (now Geimer), [2] a then-13-year-old girl [3] - unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor, rape by use of drugs, perversion, sodomy, a lewd and lascivious act upon a child under 14, and furnishing a And I think we live in a post-Hamilton world where we don't even need to think about what's authentic to the character, like faithful to the character," Portman said. Thanks to the candour of Polanski, the rest of us have always known, too including everyone in the film industry who has worked with him since. Amongst them were a swathe of high-profile names, including Woody Allen, David Lynch, Martin Scorsese, Tilda Swinton, Darren Aronofsky, Monica Bellucci, Asia Argento and Wes Anderson. Justice at least will have run its course. Darren Aronofsky He describes grooming Gailey on the drive to the photoshoot: I asked when shed first started having sex, he writes, as if thats a normal thing for a 43-year-old man to ask a 13-year-old girl. Just Jaeckin None of my business. I mean, Ted Bundy oh. It seems inadmissible to them that an international cultural event, paying homage to one of the greatest contemporary filmmakers, is used by the police to apprehend him. But one can have enormous sympathy for those losses, and also feel that offering up dead women as mitigating factors for raping a girl doesnt really wash. Even after Mary posted the facts of the case, you still call this a bloodhunt. : Unsigned. Also to send out the right signal to society. Unfortunately, he passed [] See you at your inbox! But Gailey became so frightened by the attention the case attracted, because of Polanskis fame, she tried to withdraw from it entirely. He plead guilty to a lesser charge of unlawful sex with a minor because he knew they had enough evidence to fry his ass if it went to trial. A few will only talk off the record. Well, so do I. We reached out to some of the most high-profile signatories. But mainly I heard people insist their friend is not a rapist. We have learned the astonishing news of Roman Polanski's arrest by the Swiss police on September 26th, upon arrival in Zurich (Switzerland) while on his way to a film festival where he was due to receive an award for his career in filmmaking. She played Lena, while her co-star Jennifer Jason Leigh played Dr. Ventress, described as being of Asian and Native American background respectively in the novel. Again, some ignore me, a couple will talk off the record, some are too busy to talk at all. Jean-Pierre Marois Mr. Polanski is not a threat to anyone. I know I was thinking about sex pretty much 90% of the time. Just because he made a few hollywood films, should he somehow be judged more severely or liberally than the others? It was a mistake," she told the news outlet. Details of the assault. Nelly Kaplan She is a child. Jerry Schatzberg David Lynch I live in LA, Im a liberal, and I am appalled by the signatures of people whose work I respect on the petition. Not real rape? Liria Begeja He admitted to unlawfully having sex as part of a plea bargain the judge tried to renege on. A petition demanding his release was signed by more than 100 actors and film-makers, including Emma Thompson (who later asked to have her name removed), Yasmina Reza and Tilda Swinton. Pascal Thomas Roman Polanski is a French citizen, a renown and international artist now facing extradition. It is the most vicious, sickening and coward action, to attack a young child. International cinema. . That does not change that he committed statutory rape against a 13 year old, drugged her, and fled the country. It speaks terribly of the industry, she replies. The . i just cant comprehend how you can just so willingly run to the aid of a man who raped a child. Mario Martone Is this a world gone mad!!! Read the unsealed records at the smoking gun. But the Moral Police of the World wants blood. Everytime you pop in Rosemarys baby or Chinatown think about how YOU helped commit the rape of a 13 year old girl. He is not a good man. The bottom line is that in this country we face justice. He blamed jet lag. I then contact 25 actors who have worked with Polanski since his arrest, including Sigourney Weaver, Ben Kingsley, Christoph Waltz, Kate Winslet, Kim Cattrall, Pierce Brosnan and Jodie Foster. He never contested that his victim told him no repeatedly, or that he drugged her. 4. A host of directors and actors followed Weinstein, signing the petition for Polanski, including Natalie Portman, Tilda Swinton and Emma Thompson. I dont tacitly approve of rape, said Meryl Streep. He should have been prosecuted as well, even if no teenagers were involved in his misdeeds. (Page 13), On march 13, 1977, the day you had sexual intercourse how old did you believe her to be?, Are you pleading guilty Freely and voluntarily?. He should not have to go on trial again for a 30 year old statutory rape, but should have to answer to the flight. Nicolas Mauvernay We have learned the astonishing news of Roman Polanski's arrest by the Swiss police on September 26th, upon arrival in Zurich (Switzerland) while on his way to a . He is a convicted child molestor. thesmokinggun.com/archive/polanskicover1.html. Vangelis, By trying to send Roman Polanski to the lions despite all the legal arguments, is something that unfortunately gets and will get more and more out of proportion. How else will they have their entertainment? Its neutrality applies in times of war and peace, not in the application of treaty and criminal laws. Classic movies. only to seduce a 15-year old nastassia kinski two years later- when he was 46. had he handled this differently, the victim would have been able to put this trauma behind her when she was still a teenager. Only one persons behaviour is at issue here, Roman Polanski and he deserves to be in prison because he drugged, then raped, then sodomized a 13 year old girl despite her pleas for him to stop. I will spread this list to every friend I have, and post it on Facebook and many other social sites. (Also, Woody Allen, but who's surprised there?) The petition demanding "the immediate release" of Polanski attracted more than 100 signatures(Opens in a new tab), including Wes Anderson, Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen, TildaSwinton and Wong Kar Wai. Absolutely despicable by each and every one of these people who signed this petition. I was mostly just on and off saying: No, stop. But I wasnt fighting really because there was no one else there and I had no place to go. I still do. Moreover, more allegations have been made against him: in 2010, British actor Charlotte Lewis said Polanski abused her in 1983 when she was 16. I very much regret it, Portman said. In 2009, when Polanski was arrested at a Zurich airport in a failed extradition attempt, over 100 Hollywood celebrities signed a petition calling for his release. These people who hold such power over the media, have a duty to defend the victim not this unrepentant, repulsive excuse for of a man. I dont know if you are really helping his case, Woody. Silvio Berlusconi Corruption: Sex, Lies & Earthquake + Tavernier Boos & Leigh Career Highlight. Sam Gabarski Filmmakers, actors, producers and technicians everyone involved in international filmmaking want him to know that he has their support and friendship. Readers, acquaintances and even friends couldnt tell me enough how wrong Id got it. This girl was very sexually mature for her age, even the judge said the prosecutrix was a well-developed young girl, who looked older than her years, and regrettably not unschooled in sexual matters. This was clearly a case of consensual sexual relations. The girl said no many times. Alexander Astruc Like all arguments in Polanskis defence, the documentary stresses the previous tragedies in his life: his mother, four months pregnant, was killed in the Holocaust; his wife, eight months pregnant, was brutally murdered by the Manson family. - The crew of Polanskis latest film, Ghost Here are some tips and tricks to help you find the answer to "Wordle" #623. Last year, four more allegations emerged: former US actor Mallory Millett said Polanski tried to rape her in 1970; German actor Renate Langer said the director raped her in Gstaad in 1972 when she was 15; a woman identified as Robin M said Polanski assaulted her in 1973 when she was 15; and a third, Marianne Barnard, accused him of assaulting her in 1975 when she was 10. He would just be more careful.There are men who go unrevealed for years, even die before anyone finds out about them and here you have a man who was exposed and you support him?Yes he should be free to continue to do what he likes. but the fact that he drugged her,and had anal sex with her ruins it. Children are abused, murdered, go hungry every day. I wonder how these signers would feel if it was one of their kids? Here are some tips and tricks to help you find the answer to 'Wordle' #621. Im deeply disappointed in the people that signed this shameful petition. The names on the petition include Natalie Portman, Tilda Swinton, Isabelle Huppert, Penelope Cruz, Diane von Furstenberg, Wes Anderson, Darren Aronofsky, Martin Scorsese, Monica Bellucci, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Harmony Korine, Ethan Cohen, David Lynch, and Harrison Ford. Xavier Beauvois Jonathan Majors on Oscar Favorites, Bad Reviews, and the Road Trip That Made Him Realize He Was a Star, The Best Picture Race Got a Lot More Confusing This Week, Tom Cruise Made the Rounds This Week, but Other Oscar Nominees Got More Applause Than Top Gun: Maverick, How Michael B. Jordans Love of Anime Shaped Creed III Fight Scenes, Translating the Unconscious Into Images: The Cinematography of Bardo, Poker Face Takes Viewers on a Cross-Country Road Trip Without Leaving New York, The 50 Best Movies of 2022, According to 165 Critics from Around the World, All 81 Titles Unceremoniously Removed from HBO Max (So Far), 10 Shows Canceled but Not Forgotten in 2022. Those people dont want justice or protection of children. Broadly reached out to Almodovar to ask if he regrets supporting Polanski, but he declined to reply by the time of publication. The director of The Grand Budapest Hotel and The Royal Tenenbaums recently premiered his latest effort, Isle of Dogs, at the Berlin Film Festival. - le Groupe 25 images Vinciane Lecocq This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Stuck on 'Quordle' #402? so dont free him :), First off Mr. Polanski did not rape anyone. The man has no remorse for what he did as evidenced by interviews he has given. Rosalinde et Michel Deville Although the Spanish director signed the 2009 petition supporting convicted child rapist Roman Polanski, Almodovars been scathing when it comes to criticising Hollywoods institutional sexism. when i was 13 started having desires for older men,anywhere up to their 40s.it became my prefrence since then.i never actually had sex with someone above that age,it was just sort of a forbidden fantasy to me.im was 13,not 5,so i knew better then to act on it,as much as some adults say teenagers dont know better yeah,they do. The two directors and more than 100 other filmmakers and actors have signed a petition voicing their. Thats no excuse, and its a decision I regretted almost immediately and have regretted ever since, she says. It was signed by some of the biggest names in filmindividuals who were willing to discount the fact that Polanski was charged in court with drugging a 13-year-old with alcohol and half a Quaalude before forcibly performing oral, vaginal, and anal sex acts upon her, despite her pleas for him to stop. So is Roman Polanski. Judge Laurence Rittenband, who was thought to be considering sentencing Polanski to 50 years in prison. I then contact the film-makers who signed the 2009 petition demanding Polanskis release, including David Lynch, Wes Anderson and Martin Scorsese. Adrien Brody with Polanksi, during filming of The Pianist, 2002. This is actually a very civil process being carried out in regards to someone who did a very uncivil thing. David Heyman In 2008, film-maker Marina Zenovich caught the mood and pushed it further with her documentary, the queasily titled Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired, which argued that Polanski was the victim of gross judicial misconduct during his case. Michael Mann Producer | The Insider Perhaps we can send the children of the signatories of this petition over to Roman so he can drug and sodomize them, as Im sure this whole unfortunate arrest business has him very stressed, and clearly in the opinion of the aforementioned signatories, such a genius deserves to do whatever he wants whenever he wants.