265 vs 285 tires 4runner

Working and driving through work sites I have put many nails and screws in these Toyo Open Country MTs and not once did I get a flat. The best thing to do for some owners is to call a reputable shop (Big-O, Les Schwab, Etc.) The largest 4Runner community in the world. If you want an aggressive look, want to test the limits of your 4Runner but still want to keep it as a daily driver, start here. Since they sit taller there is less clearance. I am going back and forth on either 265/70r17 or 285/70r17. 265 tires are generally a good option for smaller vehicles or drivers looking to get maximum fuel efficiency. Other letters can be T, LT or C and ST. Wide Range of Passenger, RunFlat & 4x4 Tyre Specials. This article is a collection of what 20 unique people had to say about their brand of tire. Someone who daily drives their 4Runner 90% on-road and 10% off-road. I havent seen any negatives with these tires, on-road or off-road. This has been a go-to tire in the light truck, crossover, and SUV category for decades which dates back to 1977. the size difference is 20mm (slightly over 3/4") wider on 285s. If you wanted to go 32.6 inches but didn't want to to go wider, use a 265/75/r17. Although this is more of my daily driver truck I have taken these off-road. While this added braking power is excellent when its raining outside or if youre driving at higher speeds, keep in mind that these heavier-duty options will wear out your vehicle faster over time due to increased friction created from additional weight. Note that these sizes are in millimeters. Manufacturers are you listening? Mud Terrains are typically going to provide the most amount of traction possible for a street-legal radial. The AT3 XLT specifically is designed to stop on average at least 10 feet shorter on wet roads compared to other LT models. Letters are speed ratings, not load ranges I thought. Nitto is known for its robust sidewalls so you can have more confidence airing them down and going into rock sections without worrying about impaling the sidewall. The Kumho MT71 features an incredibly aggressive tread pattern with large voids and increased block stiffness for better traction. I have had these on my 4Runner for two years now and the performance on-road specifically has been amazing. Battling all of the wet elements, the SLA will take you through the most severe on-road conditions yet still keep it quiet in the cabin. Even on light mud and light snow terrain, these ATs did quite well. Typically speaking the harder the compound, the stiffer the tire, the longer it lasts. German Engineering. Think I'll stick with my stock wheels too (at least for now). The diameter of the 265 is 31.6 inches and for the 285 the diameter is 32.7 inches. This means that a 265 tire is going to be more affordable, more efficient, more comfortable, quieter, and will also offer more traction in the rain, slush, and snow. I would suggest the same setup for anyone that wants a good looking street friendly off road capable beast. Tire comparisons with silent armor and duratrac. Choosing the right tire for your vehicle can be a daunting task. Then, well discuss their advantages and disadvantages, so you can make an educated decision about which one is right for you!if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[468,60],'tireblogger_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_8',113,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tireblogger_com-medrectangle-3-0'); This Number Indicates That Your Tire Has A Width Of 265 Millimeters. The Nitto Ridge Grapplers popularity stems from the fact that it is a hybrid mud/all-terrain, which translates to better on-road manners than your typical mud terrain. If youre primarily driving around town and on the free freeway along with commuting through wet seasons in the winter all while looking for a long-lasting option the Wrangler SR-A is a great choice. I got close to 60k miles with mine. My personal off-road experience with these has not been on trails or Overlanding. Additionally, I had many more choices and looks for the 275s in my area than I did for the 285s. It holds its own off-road as well, with a proven tread pattern that is capable of getting you farther down the trail than youd think. They grip on road well through thick and thin but damn do they make some noise. Dupli-Color EHWP10107 Silver High Performance Wheel Paint - 12 oz. Great for people who dont experience much snow but may encounter mud or sharp rocks often. An all-season climate demands an all-season tire; the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S meets that demand. I'll report back when I get them installed. Very happy to see you included the cooper at3 xlt, which I chose after a lot of research, I think theyre overlooked even though they excel in most areas. But, the narrower tires perform better than the wider tires. I run 285/70/17 with a leveling kit and 2 lift and have no problems. Before and After - Dunlop GrandTreks Vs Bf Goodrich Ko2s. Nitto has a large line of Grapplers, including this model, the Terra Grapplers G2, along with the Ridge, Trail, and Mud models. This tread pattern is obviously is built for meeting off-road needs. 1 . These Trail Hogs get the job done. Then, well discuss their advantages and disadvantages, so you can make an educated decision about which one is right for you! 34 tires require much more trimming, bending, and cutting than a 33 tire. I was worried that it might not work right or feel right driving or even not look right but I am extremely pleased. Some light trucks have tires designed with LT on them. However, the 285 is slightly smaller than the 33 inch tire. With this said, there is a big difference in running 33 vs. 34 tires. The provide Designed as primarily a snow and mud-terrain, these will provide excellent traction on wet roads and snow or ice-covered pavement. Well, best is all relative. This tire is designed for wet roads. TOYOTA Genuine Accessories 42607-06020 TPMS Sensor, Method MR316 Gloss Titanium Painted Wheels, Enkei Truck Cyclone Gunmetal Painted Wheels, Genuine Toyota 4Runner FJ Cruiser Tacoma Black PVD Wheel Lug Nuts (6 Pack) PT076-60200-02, Chemical Guys ACCG08 Wheelie All Exterior Surface and Wheel Brush, Method Race Wheels 305 NV, 17x8.5 with 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern - Matte Black - MR30578560500, Chemical Guys SPI_995_16 Meticulous Matte Detailer and Spray Sealant, 16 oz, Orange, Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics, Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one, Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world, Post your own photos in our Members Gallery. I have put the KM3 through its paces going over large boulders, through slushy mud pits and general dirt trails, it just keeps going. Our stock 4Runner has a 31 tire (265/70R17 - 31.61). They seem to be wearing well for an AT hybrid, I put about 10K on the set. The aspect ratio refers to how high a tires cross-section is. By being a soft tire we noticed a little bit of sway in the vehicle from side to side. Cooper STT Pro Mud Terrain Tires (295/75R17). This is a great mud-terrain, but might be a little pricey for some. At low speeds, vibrations are a bit annoying however above 25mph they smooth out for a normal range of moan on the road due to the larger blocking. Alternatively, the softer the compound, the smoother the ride, the shorter life it has. The Nitto Terra Grapplers come on many upgraded Toyota 4Runner models including the TRD line up depending on the dealership. Tires are ordered. I couldn't tell. A 285/70/17 tire measures out to be roughly 32.7 tall. How do you like your rough country lift? Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. are they an MT or an AT? Finally, they have small stone ejectors that throw rocks from getting stuck in or puncturing the tread blocks. Their CoreGard Technology sidewalls are 20% tougher than the previous KO AT. It is 10.9" vs 10.7". Deep snow and mud will get stuck in the lugs leaving you wanting and often needing more. Remarkable all weather traction is . The SRA comes stock on some 4Runners from the factory and its no wonder why. The size of the tire is measured in inches. The P26570R17 means that the wheel size is 17 inches. The short answer is 32. I will probably buy another set of these same tires next time. All-terrains are great for the road, loose rock, gravel, moguls, sand, and different types of dirt or even clay. They arent meant for off-road use or extreme or severe weather. This model features an aggressive shoulder tread pattern which helps to improve off-road handling. Its not super irritating, but those looking for quiet tires may want to look for an alternative. The article for tire sizes indicates no rubbing at all. Also do I have to use wheel spacers with the 285s? As with some of their other Destination options, this also has 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMSF) certification. Load range C comes on 265s and smaller. 285/75-R16 tires are 1.18 inches (30 mm) larger in diameter than 265/75-R16 tires and the speedometer difference is 3.6% . This means this tire only fits with the size of 17 inches wheel. Thanks, They rub and wear unevenly. The large alternating scoops on the tread blocks just continue to grip and tear through whats in front of them. Off-road truck tire size comparison: 265/70R17 vs 275/70R17 vs 285/70R17 in video chronological order:265/70R17 vs 275/70R17 vs 285/70R17 BF Goodrich KO2 (:. This means this tire only fits with a wheel that is 17 inches in size. Keep in mind this is a budget option so budget comes with some type of downfall right? What lift? Your email address will not be published. The harder you push these softer tires off-road the faster they wear. 5th Gen 4Runner Parts Marketplace (2010-2024), 4th Gen 4Runner Parts Marketplace (2003-2009), 3rd Gen 4Runner Parts Marketplace (1996-2002), 2nd Gen 4Runner Parts Marketplace (1990-1995), 1st Gen 4Runner Parts Marketplace (1984-1989), Starter Replacement & Rear Shock Replacement, Installing aftermarket radio with switch panel, Radiator Replacement/Tranny Cooler Install, 2UZ-FE (V8) Power Steering Pump Replacement and Fluid Flush, Reverse Lights (In Reflectors/Under the bumper), WYNNsky Heavy Duty Tire Repair Tools Kit - 54 Pcs Set Truck Tool Box for Motorcycle, ATV, Jeep, Truck, Tractor Flat Tire Plug Kit. The Falken Wildpeak AT3 performs exceptionally well on-road. Goodyear backs this with a 50K mile warranty but through some reviews online you will see people say this Wrangler SR-A can push upwards of 70-80K miles. At that 20k-25k mile mark, I noticed these slipping on slightly snowy patches in Tahoe in which I had to engage 4HI. Available in three different versions, the P, LT, and Xtreme the Toyo AT2 are a commonly ran option on light to medium-duty trucks. With an AT expected to last this long something has to give. I wouldnt trust all that but no first-hand experience hard to say. They provide great traction on the road in all conditions. If your only drive is around town, in short bursts or even to just the trailhead, and you are looking for an affordable off-road option, these Guard Dogs are for you. There is a balance when buying an MTs. #2. Its known for its quietness and smoothness when driving on road. They are offered in a variety of common sizes so youre set even if you have a lift installed. Looks good. It has a beefy sidewall that aids in traction when aired down. These were great tires both on and off-road up until about 20k-30k miles. I love Toyo R/T's but they are spendy!! The red letters are unmistakable. Buyers usually want to find an MTs that is very aggressive off-road with a well-manned on-road behavior, in other words; not loud. On wet rock they suffer, slip and slide everywhere due to blocky tread pattern and the softness of the tire cant assist there. Released Jan 1 of 2020, the MT71 boasts off-road traction, on-road handling, and durability. This tire has a P, which means that it is a passenger car tire. From on-road and off-road driving habits to price and life expectancy many factors go into the buying decision. Thankfully there are many ATs to choose from so use this reference to find the option that most accurately fits your style. It would seem the primary focus of the MT71 is the maximum off-road grip. When living in the city and being a weekend warrior in the mountains, they worked great. I am also stuck between GY Silent Armors and GY Duratracs. Great treadwear, low road-noise, a high level of ride comfort & all-weather performance contribute to their pleasant on-road manners. I personally really enjoy a good all-terrain because, for the most part, they have great road manners while providing great performance off-road. I dont do a lot of off-roading but I do drive in the snow quite a bit on trips to Colorado and they are great in the snow. Cooper refers to many of their tires as AT but quite a few actually resemble more of an MT. This style of tire is truly designed to claw at the rock, mud, snow or any other severe terrain you may find yourself on. There are a few small modifications needed to make these fit properly. Yeah these tires have a great reputation and that white lettering looks great! Needless to say, revisiting this guide and considering a move to Cooper AT3 XLT, Hi guys, do any of you know if I can install this size 285/70/17 of tires on my 4runner if I already installed a rough country 3IN SUSPENSION LIFT kit without having any issues of rubbing.Thanks. Good, fairly quiet and well mannered for a mud terrain-like design. The C-load ridge grappler is often chosen because its load rating is better suited for mid-size vehicles versus an e-load that you typically see on heavy-duty trucks. In this video I test out a set of 285/70/r17 tires and 295/70/r17 tires on wheels with a -10 offset to see if they will fit my 4Runner without modifications.. Coming from a Toyo AT2 Xtreme, these EVO MT tires had better manners on the road which was somewhat shocking. Just like the Bridgestone Duelers, its a highway/all-season option designed for commuting, however, the Defender LTX M/Sis better suited to handle more wet and snow-covered surface scenarios. The only difference between the 265 75R16 and 285 75R16 tire is in the width size. The AT3 4S features a 5-rib all-terrain pattern that provides enhanced off-road driving capability and improved wet/dry traction. For an on-road daily driver or even commuter these are loud. When aired down, this all-season performs like a rugged all-terrain. Theyre also a great value for money so if youre on a budget, but know better than to cheap out on your tires entirely, these are definitely for you. They worked amazingly in the snow. We recommend trying to find a happy medium between the two options by choosing mid-size tires that offer more traction than standard ones but dont sacrifice fuel economy or wear out your car quickly. I think these pats were made for rock crawling and dry dirt not a full wet and snow capable option. Ok, so I went with the 285/70R17 Duratracs. The Milestar Patagonia (pats) perform great on the road, they have a softer compound than most so they stick well to dry pavement. MTs have a reputation for being louder than ATs and all-season. The S/T Maxx have performed well in those situations. Other letters can be T, LT or C and ST. They look great but I didn't go wider because I did not want the extra fuel mileage hit. The calculation results are presented in the form of visual infographics, on which tire with size 265/70 R15 is on top, and tire with size 285/50 R18 below. In the rain, they arent my favorite, but thats only because of the tread pattern; rain likes tons of tread with siping everywhere and this pattern is more blocky with huge gaps (less overall contact patch on the road). The Kumho MT71 Mud Terrain is new to 2020. I am still open to suggestions and advice as this is a very big investment that I can only afford to do right the first time. So you've decided to take the plunge and fit 285/70/17 tires on your 5 th gen 4-Runner. If you arent going to push them through harsh terrain, these will be great for the long-haul. I have 285s. The Xtreme version is their most aggressive sidewall and deeper tread depth. These are an all-terrain light truck and SUV tire built to give dependable off-road traction as well as long-lasting durability. Although, after I put on an aftermarket bumper and winch, my front end is weighed down and they rub when I turn the wheel all the way. If youre having trouble choosing between an AT or MT, the Trail Hogs are a great option to get the best of both. The Dueler H/T has the ability to get you through light winters but they dont grip very well if there is any sitting snow, sleet, rain pockets or ice. So, whether youre looking for a mud terrain that can take you to hell and back or just look badass while youre shopping at the mall, the BFGoodrich KM3 is the all-around winner in my opinion. With these being the two tires that I am pretty much set on it becomes a decision between the 265/70 Duratrac with a more aggressive off-road tread or 275/70 SA that are about a 1/2 in taller and a little less then a 1/2 in wider. I am going back and forth on either 265/70r17 or 285/70r17. Wheels & Tires; Toyota 4Runner Forum . For this article, if we use example tires like P26570R17 and 28570R17. With a name like Goodyear backed with the warranty it has, this is a great option for wet conditions on the road that will last you quite some time depending on your maintenance schedule. This is a good point, and opens another can of worms. if(typeof ez_ad_units!='undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'tireblogger_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_5',110,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tireblogger_com-large-leaderboard-2-0');70:The number after the dash specifies the aspect ratio of the tire. I have been wheeling on my 285 70 17 for 3 months now and have gotten pretty tucked up front. It may not be the softest off-road-focused option in the book, but it sure will last. The number after the dash specifies the aspect ratio of the tire. Additionally the siping had almost disappeared. NOTE: The width of a tire is measured from sidewall to sidewall in millimeters, not the contact patch only. Moreover, users have positive opinions when comparing these two types of tires in the snow. But, after putting about 20K miles on them, the performance in wet, snowy and icy conditions started to decline drastically. If we compare these two tires, then we can see that 285 is wider than 265. Size difference between 265/70 R15 and 285/50 R18 tires. The Toyo AT2 is on the harder side compared to other rubber compounds which means the tread will last a long time. This Treadwright is a budget-friendly MTthat offers many great characteristics off-road but can be challenging in other areas. This option is for those who want a uniform AT tread pattern (a Baja look) that can handle most situations. Well I looked it up and the SL in that size is wider. I have had issues with snow and ice on-road with other tires but these Firestone M/T2 have yet to let me down. With lots of zig-zag sipes on the top of the tread blocks, this tire has lots of traction in wet, snowy and icy conditions. If you are unsure which option is suitable for your vehicle, take a look at our comprehensive tire guide to find out! This increased height will also help to prevent overheating which is why many tires fail. For a rig that spends a decent portion of its time on pavement, these tires are an excellent option. Some people actually enjoy the sound of their beloved MTs. Add in the benefit of their snow-rated capability and you can be confident that this tire will get you back home after a trip into the woods. Before: 265/70/17 Dunlop GrandTreks on stock suspension. The letters LT, either at the beginning or at the end of a tire size, may mean that it is for light trucks. Radial tires are new and popular because they have an inner tire that looks like spokes coming out from the center. Making the jump to a small 32 tire should be fine on stock suspension. These were engineered to be tough and perform on-road as well as off-road. As a quick rule of thumb, assume the 285 tire is equal to the 33-inch tire. The on-road performance with Cooper is pretty impressive in their AT3 lineup. They look nice. Suspension/Wheels/Tires: 3: 10-01-2015 02:37 PM: Stock P265/70R17 Dunlop Grandtrek AT/20 vs Nitto Terra Grapplers . Set of 4. . All these factors translate into a great road option. Whether you like the hum/howl or not comes down to personal preference. Almost no noticable rub. The Wild Country XTX is not overly aggressive and plays more to a street happy AT but it has the pattern to get you through light mud, gravel, dirt roads, light snow, and ice, and can be aired down as much as you need it. And for a hard compound, they do perform well on most surfaces, including jagged sharp rocks. That said, I have spent lots of time getting loads of material delivered on un-improved trails through someones property. 265/70 R17 tires diameter is 31.6 inches, section width is 10.4 inches and rim diameter is 17 inches. They are priced well for a 10 ply but may take finesse getting them to balance well. They sport a knobby tread block with thick sidewalls (E-rated- although you can get them in a lower load range with the 265) but arent deeply treaded enough to make significant noise driving down the highway. For most 4Runner owners, a well-rounded AT is going to offer the best of both worlds. I have a out 20,000K on my Toyo Open Country A/T IIs. In this blog post, we will take a look at two popular options: 265 tires and 285 tires. On the road, the Kumho MT71 rides smoothly but road noise due to the large tread voids is noticeable. For example, 265 means that the width is 265 millimeters and 285 means that it is 285 millimeters. I think 34 looked weird. With the KM3, BFGoodrich ditched the old school block sidewall and replaced it with the sidewall design from the aggressive KO2 and updated the tread design. Granted they are only at 500 miles but compared to the Treadwright Guard dog MT tires, those were 5X as loud new. give them your make and model, explain your driving habits and let them help you decide. New to AZ. Trail 4Runner participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links or to other retailer sites from Trail4Runner.com. I went with 265/65/18 on a 9 inch wheel. However, it is believed that this model is made by Cooper. Another buying signal to look at is the life and performance of the tire. Awesome article, but curious about skinny tires. I wouldnt call them fully prepared for every terrain type though. I have only put about 500 miles on these, but these are impressive so far. And after having 2 set I dm nit very impressed with the wear and road noise. If you are looking for a 3PMSF rating in this category consider the Bridgestone Blizzak LT, Michelin Latitude X-ICE, Michelin LTX Winter, or for a cheaper option, look at a Firestone Winterforce variant. Designed to accommodate most terrain which gives them the all terrain title. This is one of the better-looking more aggressive-looking tires in my opinion. It all goes back to driving habits and driving style. Durability and grip are key strong points to this Falkens performance off the pavement. That is 1.1 inches of difference, meaning that it would raise the vehicle's height by 0.8 inches. 265 or 285:In this comparison, we can see that 225 is wider than 215. 265/60-R17 tires are 4.11 inches (104.3 mm) larger in diameter than 275/25-R20 tires and the speedometer difference is 13.9% . Their performance off-road at about 30K-40K miles was almost non-existent and provided next to no traction, even when aired down. Which of the following are priorities for you. This is a strong compound built for the challenge of withstanding weight. Ive been a KO2 fan for years, that was until I actually moved to the mountains. Whether you are looking for a Highway, All-Terrain (AT) or Mud-Terrain (MT), this overview will help you decide which type, style and brands might be best for your driving style. They are a great year-round choice for daily 2wd driving and they can be used for the occasional 4WD use. I am assuming because the tread is more shallow on the SL, in order to make it the same diameter as the E tire, they increased the actual "donut" size to make up the height, and thus it is also wider. Ive only aired them down once, but they claw through mud and loose muddy rock extremely well. This provides an easy way for water to escape in order to help reduce the risk of hydroplaning. BFG KO2 285 and 3" lift with light racing UCA's. Didn't need wheel spacers and just cut off a small corner of the fender. These are louder on-road then your typical A/T but they are quieter on-road than many other M/Ts. The second number is the RATIO of width to sidewall height, so "75" means that the sidewall height is 75% of the tire width. They also have their trail grip sidewall design which helps in the deep mud, sand, and snow. The STT Pro is a great off-road tire, but cooper took it a step further with the EVO MT. The AT2 is louder than most AT options but nothing compared to your typical MT. They have deeper grooves/knobs than a standard a/t and rarely slip on most surfaces. This model features an aggressive staggered off-shoulder tread design to give extra bite around the edges while off-road. On pavement, the 4S shares great road manners with the rest of the 4S line-up, especially in adverse conditions. The particular ones I ran are on a 1-ton dually dump-truck, so most of my experience has been on-road. Hi Brenan! Very reliable! I was leaning towards the Toyo AT IIIs but this article has not convinced me that they are worth trying? If you are looking for an ultra-quiet AT for your commute, these are not for you.