All Rights Reserved. Jones Day sued BlockShopper in August after it posted articles about Dan Malone Jr. and Jacob Tiedt, lawyers at its Chicago office who had recently bought condos. Not a subscriber yet? Apple has agreed to pay $50 million to settle a lawsuit claiming that 2015-2019 versions of the MacBook laptop were sold with defective keyboards. Join the Ars Orbital Transmission mailing list to get weekly updates delivered to your inbox. Let's keep the conversation going. 57 Post Street, Suite 611 BlockShopper refused -- agreeing would have gutted its business model by laying it open to anyone who didn't like a BlockShopper link, he said. The website Blockshopper.com, owned by Timothy Landon and Brian Timpone of Chicago, posted my sisters name and address on their site, so her name would automatically pop up in a Google search. to ALWAYS write in these names and cities when complaining about Blockshopper.com That ought to keep his enemy list growing nicely. I reached out to Scarlett ** (**) asking to please remove my personal information from the blockshopper.com site that they had obtained by scrubbing public records. informed that I have a unique name that no other women has.I also informed them At the time, BlockShopper had incurred $10,000 in legal fees. Claim deadline is Wednesday, 12 April 2023. Class action lawsuit filed against Summit Utilities following multiple http://www.ehow.com/how_2040850_report-violation-online-privacy-rights.html, http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/using-name-or-likeness-another, My wife and I are pretty discrete people. I suggest you all do the same, if you haven't already! He is also trying to raise $5 million to $20 million in venture capital. In the hands of a stalker, an angry or needy client, an enraged opposing party, a disgruntled employee/customer, thieves or a former abusive partner this Web site provides a fast track to finding the private abode of any target for harm. Won't remove home listings from Google search, refuse to delete my information off internet, BlockShopper.com - Won't remove home listings from Google search, BlockShopper.com - unauthorized advertisement of sale ot my house, BlockShopper.com - Revealing personal information, BlockShopper.com - Privacy and safety concerns--unsolicited publication of full names with addresses and home costs, BlockShopper.com - Invasion of Privacy to make money, BlockShopper.com - Incorrect and inaccurate Data, BlockShopper.com - Will not remove my name and address from their site, BlockShopper.com - Blockshopper has severely undermined Address Authentication [without ccv] for online purchases, BlockShopper.com - Invasion of privacy (revealing personal information); they won't let me to opt out. Check out the list below to find out if you qualify to benefit! Class Action Lawsuits: The Biggest Class Actions and Mass Torts BlockShopper.com - Privacy Violation - ComplaintsBoard.com Saint Louis, MO [protected] Pictures and bios of the one who run Blockshopper: In 1991, access to DMV records in California was restricted following the slaying of actress Rebecca Schaeffer. I've done my research. Timpone discovered the ruse and persuaded the man to pull down the website. A $4 million settlement has been reached in a case alleging that the maker of Thinx period underwear used harmful chemicals in the manufacture of its period underwear. American Public University System (APUS), wholly owned by APEI, comprises two universities American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU). When a data breach occurs, consumers may be able to unite and file a class action lawsuit against the company that failed to . Were unlisted in the phone book and maintain carefully crafted presences on the Web. Law360 takes your privacy seriously. Please contact his fellow Board Memebers to inform them of his actions. ConsumerAffairs is not a government agency. Click here to login, 2023, Portfolio Media, Inc. | About | Contact Us | Legal Jobs | Advertise with Law360 | Careers at Law360 | Terms | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings | Help | Site Map, Enter your details below and select your area(s) of interest to stay ahead of the curve and receive Law360's daily newsletters, Email (NOTE: Free email domains not supported). Consumers who owned or leased a 2010-2015 Prius or 2012-2017 Prius V as of May 19, 2022, may be eligible for a repair reimbursement (including related car rental costs, towing charges, etc.) Saint Louis, MO 60206 timothylandon@blockshopper.com Is this legal? Essentially, jonesday.com is okay, but not blah blah blah. In 2019, the ADA filed a class action lawsuit against the Delta Dental Plans and the Delta Dental Plans Association, and in January, the federal district court for the Northern District of Illinois amended its scheduling order to allow the parties additional time to conduct discovery. They can be found and put in harms way by our nations enemies. At this point what would my next step be? While the settlement may seem like a fig leaf, it still rankles digital rights proponents who say BlockShopper did nothing illegal. As of 4/12/2010, I emailed scarlett@blockshopper.com requesting my personal name be removed and she replied via email that it was public information. In essence, Jones Day won by simply bullying BlockShopper until it was forced to give in and craft its links in the way that the law firm would prefer. Yes yes it's public records but the fact that they are making money without giving me some sort of reimbursement is unlawful and unethical. I am also attempting to stop blockshopper.com. - Feb 20, 2009 6:05 pm UTC. Consumers who owned or leased a 2010-2015 Prius or 2012-2017 Prius V as of May 19, 2022, may be eligible for a repair reimbursement (including related car rental costs, towing charges, etc.) LOL In other words, instead of writing Daniel P. Malone Jr. is an associate in the Chicago office of Jones Day," BlockShopper must write "Malone (www.jonesday.com/dpmalone) is an associate . Already a subscriber? chicago, ill 60614 Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! I am. The site has taken public records from county recorders offices around the country and compiled lists of data by neighborhood block for as many homes on that block as possible. http://chicago.blockshopper.com/about/team Chicago, IL [protected] 3528 N Janssen Ave Exploitative Purpose: Right of Publicity This needs to stop immediately. http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=716935106&ref=sgm Class Action Lawsuits | List of Open Cases, Settlements & Rebates Filed BBB complaint. information". 1065 Executive Parkway Ste 200 The big difference is that county records are not searcheable by name, just by address. 2023 Cond Nast. Timpone, a merry muckraker who worked as a statehouse reporter for a CBS-affiliated television station in Illinois in the 1990s, hasn't asked the homeowners for permission. [protected]. Timothy Landon (former Chicago Tribune executive) In addition, the fact that blockshopper.com is making money by advertising my name, address, and home purchase information without my consent, (and I am legally powerless to stop them-I email them a request to remove my name and their response was that it was public information) is outrageous. I wrote Scarlett of Blockshopper.com. Blockshopper has refused to remove our information from their website. Law360 provides the intelligence you need to remain an expert and beat the competition. About four months later, a few weeks before the case was set for trial in Illinois, the two sides agreed. A small Web site was launched in 2006 called Blockshopper.com for the purpose of assisting buyers and sellers in the market for real estate to find the best deal possible. I also requested my information be removed or *** out to some point. Class-action federal civil rights suit filed against Rochester police For faster service, please include in the Subject Line of the Letter: Publishing Public Information.. I've already contacted (e-mailed) my state senators and congressional representatives about the website. If you are a former AT&T customer who had an unlimited data plan at any time between Oct. 1, 2011, and June 30, 2015, and you experienced data throttling but have not received a bill credit or payment from AT&T related to this case, you can submit a claim. This Web site links all other Web sites related to a profiled buyer or seller that they deem relevant, with no checks and balances under the law, without prior consent and without informing the individual that the profile exists. It is true that data is public (their excuse) but it is illegal based on Exploitative Purpose, he is using your names to endorse his site without your permission. Let's get organized. This comment was posted by a verified customer. Our monthly INSIDER newsletter contains information about new cases added to our Class Action Database. Let's call on Google to live up to their code of conduct. In a case alleging that numerous U.S. chicken processors conspired to restrict the supply of, and fix, raise and stabilize the price of chicken, some of the defendants have reached a $181 million settlement. Try our Advanced Search for more refined results. If they are willing to remove you from the public record the information will drop off our database during our next update." drew@blockshopper.com, timothylandon@blockshopper.com, rob@blockshopper.com) The website reports on the home purchases of the kinda-rich in 15 U.S. metropolitan areas. "I can feel my blood start to boil when I talk about it," says Matt R. Dunlap, a software developer in Oakland, Calif. Dunlap's wife, a real estate agent, almost lost an important client who discovered a Blockshopper story about himself and furiously accused her of providing the information. Although the info is public record, at least with the court house they monitor. Why can't they be stopped? Chicago, Illinois 60614 There have been numerous complaints against this site but still this site continues to post their articles about people's personal information. They seem to not understand the danger they created. E-cigarette brand Juul consumers are filing lawsuits against Juul for not warning consumers about the nicotine and other potentially dangerous ingredients contained in its vaporizer oils. drew@blockshopper.com Subaru has settled a case alleging that the batteries in Subaru vehicles drain prematurely, and that the company was aware of the defect but failed to warn consumers. You can sort the listing three waysactions or settlements that are (1) open to claims, (2) pending or (3) closedor use the calendar to search for upcoming claims deadlines. This site encourages identity theft by publishing a persons personal information without the consent of the person itself. They have crossed the line. We can only hope that future cases like this one will have outcomes that make more sense. bye bye boys ! the web with regard to Blockshopper.com and/or a potential cash payment of up to $250. I DID NOT PURCHASE MY HOME WITH MY NEW NAME. Someone needs to start a lawsuit against them. Consumers Sue Whirlpool Claiming Refrigerator Defect Causes Ice Buildup I wish there was a class action suit against them. ------- I call all those in opposition to the practices of Blockshopper.com to speak out against it and to come together to find a solution to keep our homes safe. Blockshopper.com is displaying my name, address, phone number, email, and even a map to my CA home. Class action lawsuits are found in every state, but states like California, New York, Florida, New Jersey and Texas tend to have the highest number of class action complaints filed in America. On asking to take the info off the site, they are very rude and turn deaf ear. Court amends schedule in ADA's class action lawsuit against Delta http://www.bbb.org/stlouis/business-reviews/real-estate/blockshoppercom-in-saint-louis-mo-310251314 real estate sale house. Consumer Action maintains this listing of notable class actions so that interested consumers can learn more, join a pending action or make a claim. Horrible company. Brand Insider Summit CPG March 26 - 29, 2023, Scottsdale Marketing: Automotive April 5, 2023, NYC - Javits Brand Insider Summit Retail April 16 - 19, 2023, Hilton Head You may be eligible for payment if you received such a call since Oct. 16, 2020. I just sent this message to Avis Rent-A-Car (avis.com) and intend to send it to every business that supports this unethical company. Jones Day did not return calls requesting comment. Has anyone tried to sue BlockShopper in their county small claims court? Timpone settled the suit by making a technical change to his hyperlinks. Investigation continues into the practices of Blockshopper.com. Blockshopper.com is providing names and addresses without permission of many, many people. Well at least everyone can send the people who run this company a holiday card, or service of process for a lawsuit. Claim deadline is Tuesday, 11 April 2023. I'm not tech savvy, but can anybody put up a video to counter their claims about how wonderful they are? Timothy Landon, Evanston Class Action Suit Filed Against Norfolk Southern for East Palestine Get buying tips about Real Estate Websites delivered to your inbox. DoubleDown Interactive, a mobile gaming developer, agreed to a $415 million settlement in a case claiming the companys games violated Washington States gambling laws. Let's see if there are other things we can do to protect ourselves in the meantime. While anyone can conduct a search for this information, most do not know how. ", Unfortunately, the judge in the case refused to even look at the brief after Jones Day said the brief sided with one party (as most amicus briefs do); he also refused to dismiss the case at the request of BlockShopper. Well, well done on the researchI called the better business bureau and they won't take the complaint for the buisness in Chicago as of April 11, 2008. Claim deadline is Thursday, 09 March 2023. [protected] I have sent the staff of All rights reserved (About Us). Blockshopper says it spent more than $100,000 defending itself against the lawsuit. I agree. Share Additional Investigations In the mean time I filed a complaint with Better Bus Bur and help@consumeraffairs.com. I am getting no response. Is this truly a matter of First Amendment rights? It states the potential class of plaintiffs is too numerous to . Consumers who purchased the product between Nov. 12, 2016, and Nov. 28, 2022, may be eligible for a cash reimbursement or a Claim deadline is Wednesday, 12 April 2023. 1. Nothing. They were also We value your privacy. BlockShopper needs to protect how their databases are exposed to search engines. I am interested in a class lawsuit. This violates my privacy and borders on criminal behavior. The US census records for each individual aren't made electronically available until many decades after the census is completed. Well start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. BlockShopper is permitted to use "deep links" to any Jones Day site. more people will read about [and find out about] Blockshopper.com and how they WON'T By then BlockShopper had rung up $110,000 in legal fees. http://www.ounceofprevention.org/about/board.php, Mr Timothy J. Landon, is also on the Board of Directors for APIE. That is unacceptable. Unsubscribe at any time. Evanston, Illinois I just sent a letter to Scarlett and told her: That my husband and I are not celebrities, public officials or in the public eye in any which way or form. I'm talking about: However, it is apparent that the safety concerns this invasion of privacy creates have not been subject to the scrutiny of the Courts. btwBrian, nice hair on your you-tube videoand you don't mean any harm to anyone? REMEMBER Meanwhile Google has a code of conduct (http://investor.google.com/conduct.html) that is entirely inconsistent with their support of blockshopper. --------- --------- Synchrony Bank, an issuer of retail credit cards, has agreed to pay $2.6 million to settle a lawsuit alleging that the company made prerecorded calls to consumers cell phones without their consent, regarding accounts they did not have. Our connection to the industry is what sets us apart: we cover lawsuits and investigations . Submit a complaint and get your issue resolved. game on, boyz I am neither. The response from them was for me to "prove it" to them by providing even more personal and confidential information such as legal documents explaining and verifying why I needed my information removed. He say, hello l can help blockShopper Law. I can't believe that they are legal? 855.300.4459. [protected], CEO's home information I have been speaking to a Scarlet ** about CA rights of privacy, she is refusing to remove my online information and is claiming it is public which is false and not allowed, I am sick of her asking me for personal information and I am in no way obligated to allow a breach of my personal information online at this scammer site and to provide anything that is private. However, as an attorney and a long time advocate and counselor of battered women this Web site gives me great concern, especially in light of the effect of Google. Thank you to those who gave me guidance on support help, I have started that process. BlockShopper has to send a permanent employee to defend themseves at trial - I figure that's really worth the hassle even though you may lose the case and the $50. Subaru has settled a case alleging that the batteries in Subaru vehicles drain prematurely, and that the company was aware of the defect but failed to warn consumers. Therefore, it is a bad idea to create an advertisement suggesting that a celebrity -- or anyone for that matter -- endorses your website or blog. [protected]. If you received a notice of the 2021 ransomware attack, you may be eligible for a cash payment of at least $100 (up to $8,500, depending on your related out-of-pocket expenses and monetary losses). After that date all complaints need to be filed with the St. Louis, MO BBB. The website says its public information so they wont take down anything unless its protected through their employer, but provided a contact person if that was the case. This poses grave security concerns. Jones Day Sues Real Estate Web Site For Infringement Information exchange. When Ive googled the company, a ton of stuff comes up about class action lawsuits and how its notoriously difficult to get anything taken down. http://www.americanpubliceducation.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=214618&p=irol-govBoard American Public Education, Inc. (NASDAQ: APEI) is a provider of online post-secondary education focused primarily on serving the military and public service communities. because the more times it's written, the more times it pops up when googledand hopefully It also states the company "has price . 1. American Public University System (APUS), wholly owned by APEI, comprises two universities American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU). He is clinching a deal with Hearst that will vastly expand distribution of his news briefs in seven cities where Hearst runs newspapers, including Seattle and San Antonio. Solved: Star Seller Class Action Lawsuit? - Etsy Timpone's reporters go beyond the bare facts of a sale and run Internet searches on the names to capture a professional's online rsum or biography. 2. The same happen to us.The company actions are abusive. Blockshopper.com Lawyers Help Ohio Business Owners Organize Lawsuits Into Class Action Their response to the question of anonymity is completely unacceptable (read it for yourself at http://www.blockshopper.com/faq.html#q4)! and/or a potential cash payment of up to $250. Kirks Natural, LLC, which distributes soaps, hand washes and creams under the South of France brand in the U.S., agreed to pay $650,000 to settle allegations that the company misrepresented its products, which are actually produced in the U.S. (not in Southern France). Acxiom Please see our Privacy Policy. Perhaps they have the right to provide the property information, I'm not sure, but they sure don't have the right to freely provide names to the entire world. TIMOTHY O'NEIL http://www.consumeraffairs.com/php/a_report.php Class Action Database. A plaintiff that sues you for interfering with that right generally must show that you used his or her name or likeness for a commercial purpose. (JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), Dickeys Barbecue Restaurant (data breach) , Kirks Natural (South of France products) . In the legal profession, information is the key to success. You can search the site by inputting any street address and up comes a list of all the homes on the same block in list form. Top 378 Blockshopper.com Reviews - ConsumerAffairs You cant look my info up on the property appraiser website. Another of the aggrieved started an anonymous anti-Blockshopper blog, which professes to tell "the truth about Blockshopper.com and scumbag owners Timothy Landon, Brian Timpone and Edward Weinhaus." Conducting title searches or viewing the properties through the MLS creates filtering systems of safety. I felt completely violated by Blockshopper and my personal security threatened 24/7. Mr Tim Landon is also on the board of directors for American Public Education, Inc. My request was denied. The brief stories also appear in the real estate sections of the Houston Chronicle, San Francisco Chronicle, Chicago Sun-Times and 50 or so other newspapers. let's keep the ball rolling.. ConAgra Foods has agreed to pay a $3 million class action settlement resolving claims it falsely advertised certain Wesson oil products as naturalwhen, in fact, the oils were made from genetically modified ingredients (GMOs). There was some privacy knowing that anyone seriously interested in this info. Usually those searches are done by licensed professionals such as realtors and attorneys subject to ethical standards of propriety. I told her that it is unlawful that a company can make money off of a person without reimbursement. Depending on whether or not your All-Clad had sharp edges after being washed in the dishwasher, you may be eligible for a replacement, a payment and/or a credit toward a future purchase of All-Clad cookware. The contents of this site may not be republished, reprinted, rewritten or recirculated without written permission. Blockshopper needs to be stopped. Attorneys have filed a proposed class action lawsuit alleging that Philips knew well before the recall about the risks associated with these devices and that consumers are now on the hook for the thousands of dollars needed to replace their machines. Please to not support this business. This information is out there for anybody to see. This company is scamming people and very rude about respecting the privacy and rights of others. Chicago, IL 60614 It is very easy to prove this as all searches he is getting are your names and your properties. [protected] The Free $35 shipping program works against my shop/customers, so I am struggling with this one too! Ive provided proof that Im in a protected job. Brian Timpone, Chicago Ways to stop them: