She endeavors on a journey to find the Old Man of the Moon who will answer her question of how to find her family's fortune. ", Grace Lin, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. A Newbery Honor book in 2010, this novel moves on from the ordinary lives of Asian Americans in her other books to a fantastical adventure in a timeless, traditional China. Characters included in the character map are: (These instructions are completely customizable. I was glad to see a few things from when I was younger and I started to play with them. Making Fruitless Mountain bloom! Get Where the Mountain Meets the Moon from Amazon.com. Along the way, Minli meets a special friend. It is not too scary. Also there are many villages. I LOVED it! As she debates what to do, she looks down at the Book of Fortune on the Old Mans lap and sees that he has added in the paper she received from the king. The second is the date of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon Buy It Now In the valley of Fruitless mountain, a young girl named Minli lives in a ramshackle hut with her parents. Minli and her parents live in the shadow of Fruitless Mountain, where they toil endlessly. Worksheet 2. The kite magically transforms itself into a rope bridge, but it is too thin to carry Dragon. She can either ask him to fix her familys fortune, or she can ask him to help Dragon fly. Collect the second worksheets for assessment purposes when they have finished. Unable to believe her luck, Minli accepts the paper from him. Give students a few minutes to survey the book and look at the pictures. Within the portal, all users can view and copy all storyboards. I think it is good for many different ages, from 7-year-olds to 12-year-olds. As their quest continues, Minli and Dragon face the vicious Green Tiger, who is the On their way towards the mountain, Dragon and Minli encounter the evil Green Tiger, the reawakened spirit of Magistrate Tiger. Thus she spent much of her childhood trying to ignore her Asian heritage in order to fit in better with her peers. Another main theme idea of this story is friendship. (for grades 3-6), 2010 Newbery Honor NY Times Bestseller (Feb 4th, March 14th 2010) IndieBound Bestseller 2010 Bank Street College of Education Josette Frank Award 2010 Indies Choice Book Awards Finalist For Middle Reader Book of the Year Al Rokers TODAY Show Kids Book Club Pick, December 2009 2010 Mythopeic Fantasy Award for Childrens Literature Starred Kirkus Review Starred School & Library Journal Review Starred Booklist Review Booklist Top 10 SF/Fantasy for Youth:2009 2009 Parents Choice Gold Winner 2010 CCBC Choices List 2010 EB White Read-Aloud Honor Book 2010 Massachusetts Book Award for Childrens/Young Adult Literature, I dont think that, in the fourteen years I have worked as a childrens bookseller and the 16 years I have been a mother buying books for her children, I have ever seen such a magnificently illustrated, beautiful gem of a book hit the shelves. Tanya from Books4yourkids.com, This is a flawless little gem of a book, written in a straightforward, warm tone that always has a hint of a smile in itThere is a lovely sense of satisfaction as one link after another is connected, until the entire shape of the book is revealed like a Chinese knot seemingly complicated yet pleasing and harmonious. Eva from Evas Book Addiction, Booklist*Starred Review* In this enchanted and enchanting adventure, Minli, whose name means quick thinking, lives with her desperately poor parents at the confluence of Fruitless Mountain and the Jade River. The cellar was dark and kind of creepy. It is not as adventurous as I thought it would be. detailed information regarding how the characters interact with the main characters, as Copyright 1999 - 2023 GradeSaver LLC. The page had been treasured by the kings of the city for generations. "Bringing fortune to our house! While Minli has this adventure, Dragon waits outside the city. She accomplishes her tasks, undertaken with the help of a talking dragon, by showing generosity, courage and integrity. See Preparation and Resources.)]. Sift (A) into a mixing bowl. (authors note) (Fantasy. There are several forest and rivers and a peach grove. Ask students to choose a page at random and read aloud the most vivid sentence they can find to the class. Fruitless Mountain Village. How important is magic in the story? The second date is today's She walks deep into the forest and travels all through the night, stopping to sleep at first light. He scoops some plain rice out of his bowl for the fish to eat. It must have at least one character, a setting, and a plot or series of events that occur. Part 1. All storyboards are public and can be viewed and copied by anyone. What details do you notice that show that this story is not taking place in the United States? Optional Activity Grade Level Standard. Bitter and resentful, Minlis mother complains when her husband fills Minlis imagination with enchanting tales of Never-Ending Mountain and the Old Man of the Moon. The Old Man instructs Minli to remove a rock on Dragons head it has been keeping Dragon from flight. There are numerous other minor characters in the book: You can help us out by revising, improving and updating Every night, Minlis father tells her stories about the Jade Dragon that keeps the mountain bare, the greedy and mean Magistrate Tiger, and the Old Man of the Moon who holds everyones destiny. What are three things you can do to make your narrative even better? The "rock" turns out to be the coveted Dragon's Pearl, which brings enormous wealth to her village. Have students explain how they grew or changed because of this experience. [4] For number 4, you could even ask students to walk across the classroom to act out the sentence as they rewrote it. She grows up on tales of magical people and places from Ba, her father. The goldfish man says that Minli, too, may be able to change her fortune. Chapter 1 Summary. A fantasy crossed with Chinese folklore, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is a timeless story reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz and Kelly Barnhill's The Girl Who Drank the Moon. resource to ask questions, find answers, and discuss thenovel. He allows Minli to eat with him in his castle, and she tells him her story. Part 2. This time, it says, You only lose what you cling to. After thinking this over, the king decides that giving the paper to Minli is the only way to avoid losing it. What do you think is the secret of happiness? This book will be a highlight of your life, so go and check out Where The Mountain Meets The Moon, and you wont regret listening to me! Use evidence from the text to argue who is the most generous character in the book. Her grief at losing her children made Fruitless Mountain barren of growth. Add (B) and use a fork to stir it. https://www.storyboardthat.com/lesson-plans/where-the-mountain-meets-the-moon-by-grace-lin/characters, This Storyboard That activity is part of the lesson plans for. After learning about the concept of the frame story, pairs of students take one of the folktales to analyze and then illustrate a key scene from it. Questions to ask during the editing process: EDSITEment is a project of theNational Endowment for the Humanities, Grace Lin: Sharing Asian Traditions with Young Readers, Member of Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Team, Chinese Dragon: A Powerful Metaphor in Chinese Cultural History", Lions, Dragons, and Nian: Animals of the Chinese New Year, Why Couldnt Snow White Be Chinese? My teacher said she was really surprised and she told me how she felt about my pet. Activity 2, Key Scenes: Where the Mountain Meets the Moon, follow the directions at the beginning of Day 2. Minli is a strong-willed, young Chinese girl who lives in the Village of Fruitless Mountain. They identify the friends and mentors who helped her, and the character traits that led to her success. As a pre-activity, ask students to list the challenges Minli had to face (for example: living in poverty; being threatened by the monkeys; overcoming her fear to climb the bridge of string). He speaks to a stone statue of a lion, who explains that he is the Guardian of the city. Ed. In the evenings, her father regales her with old folktales of the Jade Dragon and the Old Man of the Moon, who knows the answers to all of life's questions. Along the way, she finds excitement, danger, humor, magic, and wisdom, and she befriends a flightless dragon, a talking fish, and other companions and helpmates in her quest. JOIN GRACES MAILING LISTYoull receive her Author Newsletter in your email inbox! Finding Identity through Childrens Books, Dont Judge a Book by Its Character (Even If It Is Chinese), The Extra Adjective: How I Came to Terms with Being a Multicultural Book Author, Folktales and Ecology: Animals and Humans in Cooperation and Conflict, Helpful Animals and Compassionate Humans in Folklore, "Cinderella" Folk Tales: Variations in Character. On the journey, Dragon tries to protect Minli from a poisonous Green Tiger but gets injured in the process and would have died had Minli not sought help from a nearby village of Moon Rain. After high school, Lin attended the Rhode Island School of Design, where she earned a BFA in illustration. She grows up on tales of magical people and places from Ba, her father. Think About Your Own Answers (with a reading guide) At the top of the bridge, Minli finds the Old Man of the Moon sitting in the center of a large room full of small clay figures. The depth of Minlis affection for Dragon is put to the test, as is her loyalty to her family. Meanwhile, at the Village of Fruitless Mountain, Ba and Ma have decided to return home and wait for Minli, and during this time, Ma feels remorse for having been so discontent when she already had her own precious treasure: her daughter. You can help us out by revising, improving and updating The art is absolutely beautiful. They stop at the City of the Bright Moonlight to meet the King. He in turn gives her a line of text written on a page that the Magistrate Tiger ripped out of the Old Man of the Moon's Book of Fortune. Together, they live in a small stick hut in a bleak, dry farming village at the intersection of the . online is the same, and will be the first date in the citation. She looks up to her father, the optimist, and clashes with her mother, the cynic. Along the way, they encounter selfish monkeys, whom Minli manages to trick into letting them pass, and together they enter the City of Bright Moonlight, where Minli leaves Dragon in a cave and takes refuge in a boy's home. Grades 3-6. I brought my pet into school. Minli's mother, Ma, instead despises the stories that Ba tells, feeling that they are simply "nonsense." physical and character traits of both major and minor characters. She thinks it will be made from 2020 to 2025. Log in here. WHERE THE MOUNTAIN MEETS THE MOON is a fantasy-fiction story where Chinese Folklore is engraved throughout the story. Have students read the second paragraph. Be sure to include evidence from the text in their answers. Classroom world map or map of Asia (It would be ideal to have a printed or projected map.) She spent all her time wondering why she did not have more money and better food and prettier clothes. Far away from here introduces the suggestion of an exotic location and/or time; The Jade River suggest China, which is known for jade. I went down to the cellar the other day. Then, my mind suddenly shouted, How about that book from the library? I bolted to get the book and started to read. She says they make Minli dream instead of focusing on the reality of the familys poor fortune. 2023 . (The first column of Teacher Resource: Plot Outline provides a summary for the suggested answers. Unlisted storyboards can be shared via a link, but otherwise will remain hidden. Despite her mothers disapproval of stories and dreaming, Minli gathers her courage, her resourcefulness, and her openness to new people and places, to take a remarkable journey to accomplish the impossible. He is tied up with some ropes, so Minli cuts him free. . A-Fu and Da-Fu, twins who are a bit younger than Minli, explain that a vicious magistrate once planned to kill the whole family out of jealousy over their happiness. When he arrives, he is amazed to be greeted as an old friend. Using a classroom map, show students the location of China and ask them what they know about it. She decides to let it go because of how bitter it made Ma. The main characters are Minli, Ba, Ma and Dragon. The setting is somewhere in China. Lin has fleshed out this . How Do I Protect My Young Child from Cyberbullying? Because of Minli's sacrifice to help a friend, she and her family receive everything they could ever have hoped for. Minli feels guilty when her father gives up some of his food for her fish. The boy is poor and has nothing but a buffalo but helps her find the king, who possesses a borrowed line of text, which is essential to finding the Old Man of the Moon. Distribute copies of Worksheet 2. Tell them the novel Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is like the picture frame, with one main frame story holding many other stories within it. Dragon cannot fly. Remind them to include vivid language. Readers of the book get to relive the story of Minli's journey, readers Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is a fantasy - adventure children's novel inspired by Chinese folklore. She describes a poor woman who was blessed with loving husband and a beautiful, happy daughter. [8][9]. He wrote a single word on a sheet of paper, but the magistrates soldiers lost it on the way home. On August 20, 2015, Lin announced the sequel to the novel, titled When the Sea Turns to Silver. Mix well, a soft dough should form. For example: Teachers may opt for their own method of discussion. Slides or photos of challenges for Activity 1. While Lin tells the tale of the courageous Minli, she also imbeds other story vignettes that weave together and connect in complicated ways. Near a mountain region. This character visits the Village of the Fruitless Mountain early in the book and at the very end. Ask students to write one final paragraph in which they compare themselves with Minli. Put the character's name in the title boxes and choose a character and scene to represent each one. All storyboards and images are private and secure. CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.2:Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text. I cannot say enough good things about this book. They continue the journey together. Use your hands and roll the dough into small balls (about 1 tsp. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon Grace Lin 4.30 45,753 ratings5,600 reviews In the valley of Fruitless mountain, a young girl named Minli lives in a ramshackle hut with her parents. En route she befriends a dragon who joins her quest. Give students a clean copy of Worksheet 2 and tell them that their classmates will be reading their work. At the onset of the quest, she meets Dragon. The twins befriend Minli and want to help her. The authors writing is elegant, and her full-color illustrations are stunning. Many of the notes have correct information, but some are incorrect or missing. At that point, the string turns into a bridge Minli uses to walk up to the moon and visit the Old Man. Knead the dough a few times so that the vanilla extract can distribute evenly. BildungsromanShelf ElfPaper TigersMotherReaderCharlottes LibraryWrite for a ReaderThe Mommy FilesThrifty Minnesota Mama Creative MadnessAbby the Librarian, And EVEN more!Review at BookpageCareer, Craft & Cheer on CynsationsSoup of the Day at Jama Rattigans Alphabet SoupSeven Impossible Things Before BreakfastBook of Color Pick of the Day at Galley Cat, Make a Compass (like Minli!) In August 2015, Lin revealed that the film rights for the book had been bought. Summarize this character Subjects: English Language Arts, Reading, Vocabulary Grades: Not Grade Specific Types: This character was a cruel ruler of the land in which all the main landmarks (save the moon) were located over a century ago. After her mother ridicules what she believes to be a foolish purchase, Minli sets out to find the Old Man of the Moon, who, it is told, may impart the true secret to good fortune. Ma blames Ba, saying that his stories put foolish ideas in Minlis head. The objective of her quest is to find the Old Man of the Moon who possesses the power to change a persons fortune. Explain that the class is going to read a book about a young Chinese girl who had many challenge to overcome. How important are stories in your life? They will also appear in Google search results. Minlis parents desperately hope she can change the familys fortune. Go over the worksheet to be sure that students understand it. So Mini decides to leave and set off to find the Old Man of the Mountain. While folktales often include recognizable character types, and certainly we can identify some stock traits here (clever, wise, whiny, kind and poor, greedy, etc.) When this story is finished, Minli asks to hear another, but Ba refuses, not wanting to displease Ma. When the students come to class, give them time to share their sentences from the pre-activity in small groups. They travel all through the night, searching. will review the submission and either publish your submission or providefeedback. Outside the city, Dragon also obtains a red string of destiny that is used to tie people destined to meet and marry together, which he believes is the borrowed line. What benefits did they get from the stories? [1] [2] The novel received a 2010 Newbery Honor [3] and the 2010 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's Literature. My mom and I first read it as part of my Sonlight curriculum and we loved it. Consider the traits of that particular character. 8-12), Reading level: Ages 8-12Pages: 288 pagesPublisher: Little, Brown Young ReadersLanguage: English ISBN: 0316114278, 978-0316114271. "Where the Mountain Meets the Moon Summary". Use vivid language to construct their own personal narrative. Students plan and then write a personal narrative about a challenge they have overcome using vivid descriptions of persons and places. How does this character change over time? Symbols & Motifs. All storyboards are private and secure to the portal using enterprise-class file security hosted by Microsoft Azure. This beautiful book is bound to become a classic. This character came to life from the magic ink by which it was painted and flew away. It also suggests something valuable; The black mountain seems ominous and threatening; The fact that the mountain cut the sky like a jagged piece of rough metal suggests that it is harsh and perhaps dangerous. If there are three dates, the first date is the date of the original What an engaging book! She says she is sorry. He remembers a story he has recently heard about a family from the area giving a dragons pearl to the king of the City of Bright Moonlightwho responded by bestowing the familys whole town with generous gifts of seeds and equipment for farmers. Jade Dragons four children took pity on the people and transformed their bodies into great rivers to nourish the land. Also, she is full of bitterness and resentment due to their poverty. Here are some questions to extend students' understanding of the novel. She refused to let it rain anymore, thus leaving the people of the earth to suffer and starve. Stories, drawn from a rich history of Chinese folktales, weave throughout her narrative, deepening the sense of both the characters and the setting and smoothly furthering the plot. You can find this storyboard in the following articles and resources: Where the Mountain Meets the Moon characters in a Character Map. Explain to students that they have been working mostly with the story of Minli and her quest, and that now they are going to look at the other stories that are woven into the main story. Start your 48-hour free trial to get access to more than 30,000 additional guides and more than 350,000 Homework Help questions answered by our experts. She has written over a dozen books, many of them using Asian American child characters, in an effort to help Asian American children appreciate their heritage and to create the kind of books she wished she had been able to read when she was growing up. A difficult choice faces the girl. Ba explains that the mountain will remain fruitless until Jade Dragon is reunited with one of her children. It was even better than I remembered! Encourage students to consider why Grace Lin chose those particular words to describe the mountain. Children will embrace this accessible, timeless story about the evil of greed and the joy of gratitude. Where The Mountain Meets The Moon Chapters 1-4 Summary & Analysis. Man of the Moon The angry magistrate tore a page from the Old Man of the Moon's book, which was the paper with the secret of happiness. Common Sense is the nation's leading nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of all kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in the 21st century. I loved Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. Website design by Mira T. Lee of MIRA T. CREATIVE. Chinese Lesson (write the Chinese characters for mountain and moon) As you read, take notes on the characters by answering the questions. As the novel ends, the goldfish man glimpses Minli in a courtyard, looking up at the place where the Mountain meets the moon., "Where the Mountain Meets the Moon - Extended Summary" eNotes Publishing Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is a juvenile fiction novel by Grace Lin, author of The Year of the Dog. As she works, Minli wishes she could change her familys fortune. If not by then, the film will probably not be made at all. The two then meet and after relating their adventures, set off once again, puzzled as to which is the real borrowed line. Once again, she has created a charming, engaging book for young listeners. Grace Lins website includes a number of essays that could meet nonfiction reading requirements while giving students more insight into her motivation, inspiration, and writing process. publication in traditional print. I enjoyed every moment if this book and could not put it down!! While these tales are original to Lin, many characters, settings, and themes are taken from traditional Chinese folklore. If the boys in the class seem likely to find it difficult to identify with a female protagonist, suggest that they imagine a twin brother accompanying her on her journey. [7] In the final activity and summative assessment, students plan and then write a personal narrative about a challenge they have overcome, using vivid descriptions of persons and places. She realizes that her family cannot afford to feed a pet. This outline can serve as a reference for the teacher for the entire lesson.). How does this character interact with the main character. Even though you can determine the scene in your head, Grace Lin adds sharp details making the scene more vivid. Less than half of the information of the notes is correct and relevant. Word Count: 2124. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon begins with a description of a small girl, Minli, and her parents, who live in a poor village at the base of Fruitless Mountain. This is a good time to show students how to use a print or online thesaurus, but remind them only to use words that they are comfortable with; a fancy word is not necessarily the best word. An editor When she arrives to find the Old Man of the Moon, he offers her what seems to be a Spartan gift: she can only ask him a single question. In thanks, the fish tells Minli how to travel to Never-Ending Mountain to find the Old Man of the Moon, who may know how Minli can change her familys fortune. Many of the characters and scenes match the book's characters. This brings enormous wealth to Minlis village which alters her familys fortune dramatically. Then photocopy the sheet to have students keep in their binders. Assign students the task of thinking of a time when they had a challenge to meet. Lead a class discussion about the differences between the sentence on the board and the sentence in the novel. The main character of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is Minli, a young girl who lived in China many years ago. their work. What is a true friend? How can the links between the frame story and the embedded Chinese folktales be represented to show how they reinforce the underlying themes of courage and generosity? [Ripping a page from the Book of Fortune will not change one's fate.] Perfect for Moon Festival celebrations or Mother-Daughter Book Clubs, this kit provides an invite, posters and instructions for the journey-like game. Then I dropped something and it made a loud noise. Why did Minli also learn to be content? Traits - where the mountain meets the moon where the mountain meets the moon Minli is very nice Ma is stressed through out the story Pa is wise Dragon is loyal Green tiger/magistrate is foolish Jade Dragon is sad but becomes happy in the end Jade Dragons Kids are loyal Minli's Goldfish is wise and helpful The Goldfish man is wise Have you added vivid details about how you met the challenge? Have you explained how you felt when you had met the challenge? Minli is a strong-willed, young Chinese girl who lives in the Village of Fruitless Mountain. In the book Where the Mountain meets the Moon, How did Magistrate Tiger plan on making his wish come true. They become friends, and Dragon offers to be her steed for the journey, despite the fact that he cannot fly, unlike other dragons. Relive your favorite parts, test your memory and pretend to be on the journey yourself! Themes. Our summaries and analyses are written by experts, and your questions are answered by real teachers. Suggested techniques: If students are interested in folktales in general, the. Minli rescues Dragon and includes him in her quest to find the Old Man of the Moon. Distribute Worksheet 3 and go over the directions with the students. She does so, and immediately Dragon can fly. Finally, see if students can come up with a vivid verb to replace was: sat, clung, perched, etc. Each version of Storyboard That has a different privacy and security model that is tailored for the expected usage. The elder of the family gave up the secret readily. The Old Man of the Moon. Before students begin their draft remind them in the real world it is not a good idea for children to leave home to confront evil and danger. Ask students to think of and share other types of challenges they have seen or experienced. Ba, however, seems glad that Minli is so hopeful. Minli befriends a dragon along the way. Common Sense and other associated names and logos are trademarks of Common Sense Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (FEIN: 41-2024986). Meanwhile, as Dragon waits outside of the city, he receives a string of destiny from one of the Guardians of the City. However, he informs her that she can ask only one question. Perhapsyou need to trust her, the goldfish man says. (Most students will say it is very big and has a huge population; a few may be able to bring up current events involving China.) It was written and illustrated by Grace Lin and published in 2009. Photo: Alan Bradley, courtesy ofgracelin.com. But her ingenuity helps her to survive as she meets and befriends a dragon, sees through the tricks of the King of the City of Bright Moonlight, finds a cure for Dragon's poison, and figures out how to communicate with the Old Man of the Moon. everything you need to sharpen your knowledge of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. However, at the last moment, the Old Man of the Moon transported the family magically to a new home, where they continue to livepoor but contenttoday. The boy finds out that the king is supposed to appear in the Market of Green Abundance. During her journey, she comes across many challenges. Writing the narrative of their own challenge gives students a chance to reflect on the themes (courage, persistence, imagination, resourcefulness) of the Lin novel from the first two lessons as they see them enacted in their own experience. When students have finished reading the book, hold a Socratic seminar or other type of discussion. To her surprise, the fish speaks and says that it has swum every river of the world except the Jade Riverthe one Minli has brought her to now. Jennifer Rothschild from School Library Journal stated in her review: "The author's writing is elegant, and her full-color illustrations are stunning. Ba tells the first such story. Before each set of chapters, distribute the questions that students should answer and make sure that they understand what they are looking for. Through their cunning, they trick Green Tiger into falling down a well. well as challenges the characters face. Trying to come to terms with her own identity, she searched for and treasured books that featured Asian American characters, even when their portrayal was oversimplified or stereotyped. With beautiful language, Lin creates a strong, memorable heroine and a mystical land. As they search, they come upon the goldfish man, who listens to their troubles and tells them his story. Minli thus begins a traditional quest. Remind them that to be a narrative, a story must have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Students reading the book will not only share the adventure, but will learn much about traditional values in Chinese culture. Lin deftly incorporates elements from Chinese folk- and fairy tales to create stories within the main story and provide context for Minlis quest. This allows him to fly, and he takes Minli back to Fruitless Mountain.
National Youth Leadership Forum: Law And Csi, Rust Game Parents Guide, 1 Samuel Commentary John Macarthur, Obituaries In Roswell, New Mexico, Can I Leave My Personal Car At Enterprise, Articles W