He will sustain and provide for all of His peoples needs. He has also served as pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California since 1969. In New Zealand (where I live) all of our farms and fields seem to be 'green pastures' and the sheep tend to munch all day! Best known for his expository exegesis of the Bible . General Epistles Anyway, we might have been being a tad naughty but the principle can be quite helpful and this is what I will do with this first verse. When things were hard for Joe Christian you would hear the pastor encourage him saying 'Jesus will never leave or forsake you - take heart!' And we know the Jesus Himself took upon this title of 'the good Shepherd'. These valleys were often dark because of the shadow caused by the cliffs, and they were a favourite place for predators to hide in. Pastor John MacArthur. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures. That is some revelation! But it is there that you learn that though you may not be able to see the shepherd as well as normal, He can see you and is still protecting you! "Staff," that on which one leans, emblem of Divine strength and . Please see our Privacy Policy for cookie usage details. He got us to say the sentence emphasizing each word. The other thing to note on this point is that the entire psalm is only valid for those who truly have Jesus as their shepherd. Psalm 23 mainly illustrates God as a caring shepherd. The World English Bible is based on the American Standard Version (ASV) of the Bible, the Biblia Hebraica Stutgartensa Old Testament, and the Greek Majority Text New Testament. On some days, she was on one side of the valley. This verse doesn't mean that there will not be times of drought, valleys, difficulties and need--- far from it God loves you too much to just make things always easy! They are still waters, for the Holy Ghost loves peace, and sounds no trumpet of ostentation in his operations. David had extreme confidence in who God IS right now! God longs to bless and prosper His people. Pray to him, then, for the blessingRestore thou me, thou Shepherd of my soul!, Some Christians overlook the blessing of sanctification, and yet to a thoroughly renewed heart this is one of the sweetest gifts of the covenant. Each chapter begins with several questions under the title "PREPARE TO MEET GOD." . There is something about people who truly know their God. Priests were anointed (Exodus 40:13-15). Commentary on Psalm 23 - Working Preacher from Luther Seminary The Hebrew word tob has a variety of meanings, such as good, moral, profitable, or plentiful. Psalm 23 distinctively stands out compared to other chapters in the Book of Psalms and receives a larger magnitude of respect. Jesus told the Samaritan woman, If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, Give me a drink, you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water (John 4:10). Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: The hosts care brought the goodness and mercy of God to David, and he lived in the faithful expectation of it continuing all the days of his life. Had a very strange dream last night and you were in it. For them, it truly was the valley of the shadow of death. In the United States, a signal honor would be an invitation to stay overnight in the Lincoln bedroom in the White House. The MacArthur Bible Commentary. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select an Ending Point You can find a family who have brought up children to being young adults and have never owned a bed. The Gospels The MacArthur New Testament Commentary is now completethirty-three volumes that take you through the whole New Testament, detail by detail, verse by verse. The Middle Eastern shepherds in Israel didn't drive their sheep their sheep followed them. Title The entire collection of Psalms is entitled "Praises" in the Hebrew text. Pentateuch The emphasis of his pulpit ministry is the careful study and verse-by-verse exposition of the Bible, with special attention devoted to the historical and grammatical background behind each passage. Is it a terrible thing that even though God is sovereign and controls the entire universe, we don't want to let go of the reigns! Nor is he saying that 'the LORD is my Shepherd, I get everything I want'. May God grant us grace to dwell in the serene atmosphere of this most blessed Psalm! The following cookies are also needed - You can choose if you want to allow them: You can read about our cookies and privacy settings in detail on our Privacy Policy Page. That symmetric bracketing was a literary device intended to focus attention on the middle phrase, for you are with me. Gods saving presence is the focal point of this psalm. Joy -- You anoint my head with oil and my cup runs over. But it is alluded to such as in Revelation 7:17 For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water." Heb 12:2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, Psalm 2 Bible Study The Current Rebellion & The Coming King, Psalm 8 Bible Study The wonder of God and the second man, Psalm 16 Part 1: Testing's in the journey through life and death, Psalm 16 Part 2 - Hope in the journey through life and death, Psalm 22 Part 1 - Prophecy of the crucifixion and the wrath of man. John MacArthur brings you a complete Bible commentary in one volume. In the end, in whatever it is that places you in fear or unease, you have to come back to this very thought we are speaking of here - 'The Lord is my shepherd' - He is in control of all things. Thank you for registering. It is what the Apostle Paul knew when he wrote: Philippians 4:11-13 I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. But the valley was always there, casting its shadow over her life. God is. a. Thank God for such times! The profound way of weaving Davids testimony to bring glory to God through this Psalm is utterly magnificent. They know that through all things, Jesus is a good shepherd. The Premiere One-Volume Commentary . It is a psalm written by David who grew up as a shepherd. The word my cup runs over indicates that David not only had the necessities but also enjoyed abundance. Jesus took this name for Himself when He said 'Before Abraham was born, I AM!' David had had the highs of defeating Goliath to the lows of running for his life and hiding in caves from Saul. And let's not forget they are prone to wander. ), Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2000), Mounce, William D., (ed. He rammed it home so much that come lunch time we were saying 'I WILL eat my lunch', 'I will EAT my lunch.' Significantly, it is at the dangerous moment pictured in the psalm that the He of Psalm 23:1-3 changes to You. The LORD as Shepherd is now in the second person. Grab your Bible and read this Psalm noting down the times 'I, my, me, he, his, you' etc are used. In Psalm 23, however, the psalmist declares that the Sovereign of the universe, the Creator of all things, can be described using "my," that the Lord attends to me in a personal way. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; We may request cookies to be set on your device. Psalm 23 brings encouragement and a great reminder that God is our shepherd and He will never abandon us. The Old Testament This gives us amazing confidence when we need it most. Blue Letter Bible study tools make reading, searching and studying the Bible easy and rewarding. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. I live in New Zealand, and yes, I know, we have more sheep than people! 1939) is a Calvinist theologian, author, editor, and teacher. Psalm 23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. Why is Psalm 23 one of the most well-known Psalms and the favorite biblical passage of many? They also enjoy the enthusiastic company of their fifteen grandchildren. The wonder of wonders is that through the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ in our lives we can actually go through these times without fear! If you are truly saved He will never leave you all the days of your life! 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of theLordforever. ii. As someone who worked as a shepherd before, David knew that shepherds live with their flock and are everything to it: guide, protector, and source of provision. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. When applied to Yahweh, hesed is fundamentally the expression of his loyalty and devotion to the solemn promises attached to the covenant. What would you say of a pilgrim commissioned of God to travel up and down the earth singing a strange melody, which, when one heard, caused him to forget whatever sorrow he had? For a shepherd, the healing purpose would be significant. Prophets But we need to learn to lie down. The ASV, which is also in the public domain due to expired copyrights, was a very good translation, but included many archaic words (hast, shineth, etc. In the presence of my enemies: This is a striking phrase. Pentateuch The Shepherd's rod: The rod which the Shepherd carried was for protecting the sheep from predators. Abraham's Bosom, Paradise, and Heaven 1. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; With this verse, he begins to use the second person (you and your). But the love for our Saviour is great, with us waiting patiently for a time all these woes will come to an end. David wrote about this in Psalm 25. He leads me - Jesus our Shepherd is in the business of leading and bringing you to a place of rest. The gist of Psalm 23 is that God is our shepherd who always provides and protects. Psalm 23 is a wonderful masterpiece of David that contains encouragement and awe-inspiring spiritual truths. In my experience I have never seen a visible manifestation of God going before me at a fork in the road. The green pastures and waters spoken of in this verse were often some distance apart and the shepherd would have to lead his flock to these places. Psalms 23. [6] As a silly example, a few weeks back I got an email from a past work colleague that I hadn't heard from for some time. 1 Samuel 17:35), and the latter for control since discipline is security., iii. God is holy, and takes his holy name seriously: Since God is holy, we as Gods people need to insure that we do not tarnish his name by our wrongful words or actions. Ouch. - Henry Ward Beecher, [2] J Vernon McGee writes 'to put it succinctly, in Psalm 22 we see the cross, in Psalm 23 the crook (the Shepherd's crook), and in Psalm 24 the crown (the King's crown). The MacArthur Bible Commentary: John MacArthur: 9780785250661: Amazon It is to live with Him. (Kidner), ii. Report an Issue Sermon Correction/Question . And it is in these times that it starts getting a lot more personal! He would tend, protect and care for his sheep. (5) Lead me in Your truth and teach me, For You are the God of my salvation; For You I wait all the day. Liberated for Life : Galatians - a Bible Commentary for Laymen by John F. MacArthur and a great selection of related books, art and collectibles available now at AbeBooks.com. We need to hear those words as if God intended them for usbecause he did. The anointing of oil to the sheep isnt just a meaningless ritual. The overflowing cup symbolizes the Lords generosity. It becomes more personal in this valley! in the resource materials are not necessarily affirmed, in total, by this ministry. On the one hand it is not quoted in the New Testament directly concerning Jesus. Is it Messianic? Gods shepherding care from the previous verse brought restoration to Davids soul. Davids guidance from God has a moral component. The Whole Bible He is the shepherd that provides and His people will lack no good thing. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.. The sweetest word of the whole is that monosyllable, My. He does not say, The Lord is the shepherd of the world at large, and leadeth forth the multitude as his flock, but The Lord is my shepherd; if he be a Shepherd to no one else, he is a Shepherd to me; he cares for me, watches over me, and preserves me. The words are in the present tense. Our God does not withhold anything good from His flock. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.. Oh! The hosts care and concern doesnt eliminate the presence of my enemies but enables the experience of Gods goodness and bounty even in their midst. In these verses, the metaphor changes from God as shepherd to God as host at a special banquet. The image exudes a sense of rest, comfort, and care. Major Prophets Pastor John MacArthur | The MacArthur Commentaries Grace to You. Instead of speaking about his Shepherd, David speaks to Him. I'll close with this for is gives a great summary of the wonderful provision of God as outlined in this Psalm. He first spoke them for Israels sake, but he caused Isaiah to record them for our sake. If you do not want that we track your visit to our site you can disable tracking in your browser here: We also use different external services like Google Webfonts, Google Maps, and external Video providers. John 10:11 I am the good shepherd. Will He never leave me or will something I do cause Him to leave?' Psalm 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. They are dumb, dirty, defenceless and dependant. He was aware of the potential dangers that may befall him. c. I will fear no evil: Despite every dark association with the idea of the valley of the shadow of death, David could resolutely say this because he was under the care of the LORD his shepherd. His future return for His people as the King of Glory! Thats why Psalm 23 is crucially relevant even today. Everything in time -- for goodness and mercy shall follow me. Bible Introductions - Hebrews by John MacArthur - Blue Letter Bible (Proverbs 10:3). Nov. 10, 2012. Minor Prophets How would it be with you if God had filled your cup in proportion to your faith? He was refreshed by a head anointed with oil; his cup was over-filled. God wasnt just a shepherd to others in a theoretical sense, but He was Davids shepherd. iv. 'Do I need to be extra careful?' Every word in it has a wealth of meaning. [1], It is not only I do not want, but I shall not want. Come what may, if famine should devastate the land, or calamity destroy the city, I shall not want. Old age with its feebleness shall not bring me any lack, and even death with its gloom shall not find me destitute. We provide you with a list of stored cookies on your computer in our domain so you can check what we stored. Now David wasn't saying here that 'the Lord is my Shepherd, whom I do not want'! And finally we have the small matter of that which occurs after 'the days of my life'. Psalms 23 - The Pulpit Commentaries - StudyLight.org Pentateuch It is getting harder to live on this planet - from a health point of view, from a financial point of view, from a spiritual and moral point of view, from a fear and anxiety point of view - there is much that a person could be concerned about. In Psalm 22 He gives His life for the sheep; in Psalm 23 He gives His love to the sheep; in Psalm 24 He gives us light when He shall appear. What He is leading, guiding and teaching us is firstly about the inward change to the circumstance even if outwardly things remain the same. . Which is it? Psalms 23 - Dr. Constable's Expository Notes - Bible Commentaries The book of Psalms is so unique because it focuses on the character of God. ii. Luke-Acts He is a dove, not an eagle; the dew, not the hurricane.[3]. PSALM 23:1-4. You always can block or delete cookies by changing your browser settings and force blocking all cookies on this website. He is no longer speaking about God, but is instead speaking to God. Other than the president and family, only a handful of people have been invited to make the White House their homeand then only for a few years. Our God protects His people, and His presence brings comfort to eliminate the fear of evil. Major Prophets What are these still waters but the influences and graces of his blessed Spirit? The shepherds guidance not only comforted and restored David but also led His sheep to righteousness. The gist of Psalm 23 is that God is our shepherd who always provides and protects. Psalm 23: The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. The word through is important. Later, rabbis often designated it "The Book of Praises." . And when the days of this life are over, then we shall enter into that which we can only partly imagine, for, 'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.'. David could confidently write the second phrase because he experienced the provision and providence of God in his life. It is a valley of the shadow of death, facing what seemed to David as the ultimate defeat and evil. This word follow in the Hebrew does not just mean tag along at some distance behind. But mostly, they were comforting because they were in the hands of a caring shepherd. To eat at the Kings table in the presence of your enemies would show your enemies that the king holds you in high regard, and would demonstrate their powerlessness to hurt you. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, (Hebrew/Greek Search by English Definition), * 'Number Delimiters' only apply to 'Paragraph Order', Search verses, phrases, and topics (e.g. (Jer 23:1-4, Ezek 34:1-10) Work to be a faithful shepherd realising that it is God's own sheep that He has placed in your care. 8:29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. Changes will take effect once you reload the page. It is well to know, as certainly as David did, that we belong to the Lord. It works. Poetical Books GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point David reflected on God's many blessings to him and concluded that God would continue to be faithful to him and grant him fellowship in the future. [1] As I mentioned, this is one famous Psalm. Do you? They probably are anxious about different things. It implies that the Lord is the only thing needed in life and that Gods shepherding care provides all of our necessities. John Piper Sep 1, 1980. . Kansas City, Missouri 64118, 2017 The Spurgeon Center and Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. The Hebrew word rewayah suggests abundanceeven superabundance. i. In 1969, after graduating from Talbot Theological Seminary, John came to Grace Community Church. Solid Joys. Kidner notes: The rod (a cudgel worn at the belt) and staff (to walk with, and to round up the flock) were the shepherds weapon and implement: the former for defence (cf. Lie down in green pastures quiet waters - But thank Jesus our great Shepherd that He does bring us to green pastures and quiet waters. There is a noble tone of confidence about this sentence. It is a song of gratitude that resonates with the author's heart and trust in God. Note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience on our websites and the services we are able to offer. and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When the sheep are hungry or are anxious about food, they cant lie down peacefully. The shepherd recognizes when the sheep require green pastures and when they require still waters. ), Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life.
Kayla Nicole Travis Kelce, How To Buy Property In Ireland As An American, Deep Ilocano Words, Articles P